Forums
Posted By: julie253 New Laptop Hard Drive - 19th Aug 2013 7:33pm
Just been told the hard drive needs replacing on my sons laptop. How much is a reasonable price to pay?
Posted By: turnip Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 19th Aug 2013 8:06pm
What sort of size does he need?
Posted By: julie253 Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 20th Aug 2013 8:45am
Hi Turnip - I have no idea. Its a pretty good laptop with Blu-Ray and he watches films etc - I have no idea about computers hence my silly response! lol!
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 20th Aug 2013 12:05pm
If buying new, 60 for hdd. 30 for installation and 40-50 if you want installation with windows installing and all his old files and folders copied over.

This is from a company perspective and I'm sure a friend could do it all a lot cheaper.... (I'm not a company by the way)
Posted By: julie253 Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 20th Aug 2013 12:41pm
Thanks very much. I have been quoted £120 but they have asked if he wants files saving but haven't said about windows etc so I think I need to ask the question.
Posted By: TheDr Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 20th Aug 2013 12:59pm
Just check to see how much of an install they do. Some places just run the Windows disc, install the drivers and leave you with several hours of updates to download and install at home.

If the old drive is still working but is either too small or has bad sectors then copying across his "My Documents" folder with pictures and files in it is fairly straightforward.

Installing drivers for printers or scanners that you have at home is usually your job, as the shop won't know what you have.

TheComputerLab is about right, £60 for the drive should get you a decent capacity one plus £40 for the install plus all the updates, drivers and copying pictures etc from a working drive.
Posted By: julie253 Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 20th Aug 2013 1:28pm
Thanks Dr. I don't think he has much on it to be honest, he mainly watches films etc. Think he will need it now though for sixth form.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 20th Aug 2013 2:46pm
What was the reason given for it needing to be replaced ?
Posted By: julie253 Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 20th Aug 2013 3:41pm
I don't know Mark, I think it just wouldn't load up. You know I'm not computer literate lol!!!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: New Laptop Hard Drive - 21st Aug 2013 12:28pm
If its a straight swap and the original drive is mechanically sound and the OS working then it would be quicker and easier to a disc to disc clone. That would take about five minutes.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral