Forums
Posted By: Dj_Macca settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 5:23pm
Hiya folks!

need a little help!
me mrs has just got virgin installed and wants to use a wireless router (linksys)
Can i just set the router up so i can find the signal and just connect to it!....

1.plug ethernet cable from modemm into router (blue)
2.then do i need another ethernet cable to plug me laptop into it to set up usin the config page,then do i take the cable out and it becomes wireless..

hope u can understand what am tryin to do (basically i dont wanna hard wire the lappy into it wanna use the router wi -fi

thankssssssss
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 5:25pm
pm sent
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 5:30pm
Plug the router into the Virgin Media modem via Ethernet cable

Connect your pc to the wireless router using the wireless connection wizard found in the Network area of the control panel

Locate your router (the name of it is underneath router on a sticker)

When prompted enter your router's password (found on the botton of the router)

Once you have verified using the password supplied , you will be given 2 tick box options

Save password & Connection Automatically

Click in both boxes then click either FINISH or CONNECT (varies)

Please bear in mind you may need to buy and wireless adaptor for your PC/Laptop
Posted By: MissGuided Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 5:49pm
Is this what they call 'spoofing'?
Posted By: Mark Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 5:54pm
Assuming its a "CABLE" Router and not ADSL ?
Originally Posted by Mondeo_Scott
pm sent

Lets not forget to share wink
Could help someone else too.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 5:59pm
I will do screeshots later on tonight for the method

Which version of Windows are you using
Posted By: AX_125 Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 6:15pm
you can set this up using a Broadband router or a DSL one, but need to make sure you turn DHCP Server of if it is an ADSL one before you plug it in.

sShould work pretty sweetly
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 6:39pm
Sitting in the idiots corner - make sure you've turned your laptop on to wireless, mine's got an almost invisible switch on the side.
I'm speaking from experience here!!
Posted By: Dj_Macca Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 6:53pm
wireless is on guys!
running vista

i tried pluggin router in power on then plugged virgin modem into me router,searched for the network but it aint found it ya see
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 7:19pm
ok. you made need to connect it to your pc by ethernet cable so that you can turn the router's visability ON

unfortunately, this is where my expertise ends. I dont know the Linksys menu layout

But I'm sure someone else can help you, or these steps should be in the user manual
Posted By: little_pob Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 7:26pm
My sister's DSL router (a Belkin) was an absolute pain to get set up until I actually did what the manual told me to do; i.e. shove the disc in and follow the on-screen destructions.

Once you're set up save the config, if there is the option to do so. Much quicker to get up and running again if you have to factory reset the thing!
Posted By: Dj_Macca Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 8:35pm
Originally Posted by Tony_1985
ok. you made need to connect it to your pc by ethernet cable so that you can turn the router's visability ON

unfortunately, this is where my expertise ends. I dont know the Linksys menu layout

But I'm sure someone else can help you, or these steps should be in the user manual

i think your right there yanno!!! its gotta be that!!

cheers for ya help mate!
Posted By: AX_125 Re: settin up a router! - 4th Jan 2009 9:37pm
yeah, connect the computer to the router via ethernet. open a command prompt, type ipconfig into the connand prompt, get the default gateway and type the number into a web browser (it is most likely to be something along the lines of 192.168.0.1 and it should prompt you for a username and password. put the defaults in (usually admin and blank password and set the wireless up from here.)
Posted By: Mark Re: settin up a router! - 6th Jan 2009 12:33am
linksy

192.168.1.254 if i rememeber

Or put the disk in that came with it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral