Forums
Posted By: mikeeb Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 3:19pm
Is this Laird St?
There is a lot of old shops and I cannot work it out where about on Laird St it is or was.
[Linked Image]
https://wirralmemories.co.uk/wm_index.php?wm_page=wm-village-birkenhead.php
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 4:57pm
Looks like Conway street to me
The flats could be St Andrews Square
Posted By: locomotive Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 6:06pm
I think you're right Derek
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 6:38pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc

The Argyle St end or the park entrance end?
I cannot see the old school or the row of shops that house the bike shop today.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 7:44pm
Argyle st end
1950s map with blue line pic about here

Attached picture Conway st.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 7:48pm
It's definitely Conway Street, looking up from the direction of the old Conway Street School / Argyle Street. If you look at the building on the left just before the petrol station in mikeeb's picture, attached is a full view of it - and a view of the petrol station. IIRC, the petrol station was built on the site of the old Scottish church graveyard.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 20.38.52.png
Attached picture Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 20.39.44.png
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 7:59pm
Thanks Derek and Yoller. happy
The website has labelled it wrongly as Laird St.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 8:12pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc

I'd agree with that, York Street on the right where the billboard is.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Jun 2020 8:18pm
Originally Posted by yoller
It's definitely Conway Street, looking up from the direction of the old Conway Street School / Argyle Street. If you look at the building on the left just before the petrol station in mikeeb's picture, attached is a full view of it - and a view of the petrol station. IIRC, the petrol station was built on the site of the old Scottish church graveyard.

I agree with all that apart from the graveyard, St Andrew's didn't have a graveyard. There may have been some memorial stones or something like that because so many people believed it had a graveyard but it didn't.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 2nd Jun 2020 3:40am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by yoller

I agree with all that apart from the graveyard, St Andrew's didn't have a graveyard. There may have been some memorial stones or something like that because so many people believed it had a graveyard but it didn't.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2602681
Posted By: bert1 Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 2nd Jun 2020 4:16am
As far as I know, the bodies were exhumed from St Andrew's, Conway St, buried at St Mary's and exhumed again and taken to Landican along with all of the St Mary's graves, when the dock was built.

Attached picture st andrews.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 2nd Jun 2020 8:01am
So it did and didn't have a graveyard, no wonder I'm confused. I wonder when they were moved to St Mary's and why they weren't moved to Flaybrick which would be cheaper and less religiously controversial.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 2nd Jun 2020 8:55am
Map posted by Martyfred a while ago.

Attached picture grave.jpg
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 2nd Jun 2020 12:43pm
May be unrelated, but my friends dad worked on the flyover on Conway St for the Birkenhead Tunnel and he said they had dug up an old grave yard whilst doing the foundations and roads, and they were all reinterred in Landican. Unfortunately he has passed so I cannot ask exactly where on Conway St.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 2nd Jun 2020 1:15pm
Some pics of St Andrews, Conway and others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7dsK7x_0bs&feature=emb_rel_pause

Posted By: Norton Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 2nd Jun 2020 4:29pm
And sometime ago, I did an overlay, on here. It definitely places the word 'Graveyard' in the middle of the bus station. What we don't know is if the cartographer simplified things by recording it as a graveyard rather than a fuller description.

Also, if you zoom in on the first picture (use control and + together), almost right in the centre of it are two vehicles partially obscuring 'The Crown' pub. You can see that the top floor are the same.

Attached picture Bus Station.jpg
Posted By: Birkenned Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 17th Jun 2020 11:44am
This looks to be the top near St James` church looking toward town.
The Bus depot would be half way down on the left
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 17th Jun 2020 5:21pm
Birkenned, It is Conway St. The details and explanations of where exactly are in the previous posts. wink
Posted By: MIKE6570 Re: Where in Laird St is this? - 1st Oct 2020 11:37am
This is St Andrews Square looking from Argyle Street Bob's Garage is on left on right was Mary's Dairy. I lived in St Andrews Square.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral