Forums
Posted By: DanLongman Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 6:35pm
According to the label, this is Argyle Street, Birkenhead 1941 (RAC)

[Linked Image]

My first thoughts were that it was St Paul's Church that once stood on Argyle St. at the corner of Market St. however I can't be 100%. I can't seem to find anything about Erlac Billiards Hall, nor that Der(went?) property in the background. I also have no idea what the RAC means written in brackets on the rear of the pic. Does anyone have any ideas of what this blitzed building could be?
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 6:41pm
i would love to know too, great pic
Posted By: Cobby Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 7:07pm
Can't help with the building, sorry, but ERALC was a brand name of E A Clare & Co, who made (and still make) snooker & billiard tables & equipment. ERALC is Clare backwards! See http://www.normanclare.co.uk/EAClare.html - they actually use the same photo about 1/3 down the page.
Posted By: sue_w Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 7:13pm
'ERALC' Billiards Hall belonged to E. A. Clare & Son, the snooker/billiard/pool table manufacturers in Liverpool.

The same photo is on the site telling the history of the company but only says Birkenhead Air Raid 1940. Maybe that will help...
Posted By: Silverback Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 7:31pm
Originally Posted by Cobby
Can't help with the building, sorry, but ERALC was a brand name of E A Clare & Co, who made (and still make) snooker & billiard tables & equipment. ERALC is Clare backwards! See http://www.normanclare.co.uk/EAClare.html - they actually use the same photo about 1/3 down the page.

That website contains an image that says the billiard hall was on the corner of Argyle St and Conway St. Might help identify the building from it's location.

www.normanclare.co.uk/images/018_BilliardRms75.jpg

Posted By: DanLongman Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 7:54pm
Brill! Thanks guys
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:06pm
well i have just been speaking to my dad who lived in price street. he said the building was on the corner of argyle street and conway street. it was used as the school clinic and other general health issues. it was opposite timothy whites, and the only bit of the building left today is the small pub the post office, which he thinks has changed names from that. hope its a help maxine
Posted By: nuddy Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:11pm
Maybe the corner of Argyle and Hinson st?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:11pm
Anymore pics? smile
Posted By: frogger Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:22pm
look here

http://malcolmlowryatthe19thhole.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:28pm
Originally Posted by Max1967
well i have just been speaking to my dad who lived in price street. he said the building was on the corner of argyle street and conway street. it was used as the school clinic and other general health issues. it was opposite timothy whites, and the only bit of the building left today is the small pub the post office, which he thinks has changed names from that. hope its a help maxine

That's a great bit of info Maxine. Would you say it was about here?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:32pm
Just the one shot I'm afraid. It's a good one though!

I think it's a bit further on from Hinson St, according to the new info on this thread. I'd have no idea otherwise. Not a great deal of clues in the shot itself.

Which bit of that site Frogger?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:35pm
It was the "Poor Law Offices(Birkenhead Union)" in 1911

(if was on SE corner of Argle St and Conway St)
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:49pm
That the area of the screenshot I posted above do you know?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 8:59pm
yes dan, exactly where the railings on the picture start and finish. it also came right over the road to what we think is a roundabout now. newbee is also right mentioning hinson street. the entrence to that building was fromm hinson street. it was the tiny road between the big general postoffice and the pub. my dad thinks there is a tiny bit of the road left. we have not been home in the area since last summer, so my dad has had to put his thinking cap on, recalling all his time around there as a child. thanks dan
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 9:05pm
Thanks so much for the help. I'm doing a new book, Now and Then style. I would have had to ditch this shot if I couldn't get any info but now it's deffo. going in smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Can anyone name this building? - 13th Aug 2011 9:12pm
good luck dan, we enjoyed that. max
Posted By: cathcart Re: Can anyone name this building? - 14th Aug 2011 8:57am
just wondering dan iff youre doing a book have you any pictures of the old cathcart street school and the adelphi street,marion street areas. good luck with the book.
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Can anyone name this building? - 14th Aug 2011 3:05pm
Not at the moment sorry, but I'll keep my eyes open in case any pop up
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Can anyone name this building? - 17th Aug 2011 9:19pm
dd is right in saying that the building in the photo is the old Birkenhead Poor Law Union Offices on the corner of Conway Street and Argyle Street. Designed by the firm of Edmund Kirby & Sons of Cook Street, Liverpool, they were built between 1901-1905 at a cost of £18,380. They replaced the original Union Offices in Hampton House, on the corner of Oliver Street and Hampton Street (for piccy clicky). As well as the Poor Law Offices the building also housed the Registrar of Births, Marriages & Deaths. There was a rear entrance in Oliver Street - not Hinson Street - which gave access to the Relief Office, where the impoverished went to collect their handouts. After 1930, when the Poor Law Union was abolished, the building became the home of the Public Assistance Committee.

The offices were badly damaged during the Blitz, both on the night of 26/27 September 1940, during the raid that accounted for the Argyle Theatre, and on 1/2 October, when the Argyle Hotel and Old Post Office Hotel were hit. After the War, the roof was rebuilt, but without its distinctive pre-War cupola. Officially known as the Municipal Offices with an address of 3 Conway Street, the building housed a number of Council Departments during the post-War period, including, I believe, those of the Borough Surveyor & Engineer. It was eventually demolished in early September 1967 to make way for the late-unlamented Conway Street Flyover, an unnecessary eyesore that deservedly later met the same fate.

The photos below show the building in its original state and as rebuilt after the War, whilst the last three show the demolition work underway in 1967.

Attached picture Poor Law Offices.jpg
Attached picture Council Offices 06-1966.jpg
Attached picture Council Offices 09-1967a.jpg
Attached picture Council Offices 09-1967b.jpg
Attached picture Council Offices 09-1967c.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Can anyone name this building? - 17th Aug 2011 9:41pm
Excellent info and fantastic pictures Marty. Makes me so mad to see the destruction of our history and heritage. For a fooking short lived flyover for god's sake.
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Can anyone name this building? - 24th Aug 2011 6:29pm
Bloody eck. Thanks so much! Massive help
Posted By: Wench Re: Can anyone name this building? - 24th Aug 2011 6:38pm
Clicky for info regarding ERALC wink
This might help with the location and the query about Eralc.
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Can anyone name this building? - 24th Aug 2011 7:44pm
Cheers smile
Posted By: Onbirkenhead Re: Can anyone name this building? - 8th Oct 2011 12:58pm
Original building. They dont make em like that anymore!

Attached picture Poor_Law_Offices.jpg
Attached picture Council_Offices_06-1966.jpg
Posted By: Onbirkenhead Re: Can anyone name this building? - 8th Oct 2011 1:00pm
oops. sorry. didnt see theses photos were already there!
Posted By: moonpig Re: Can anyone name this building? - 10th Oct 2011 7:59pm
My Dad has just looked at this photo, he says it Birkenhead Registry Office (births/deaths, etc) at the corner of Argyle Street and Conway Street next to the main Post Office.

The snooker hall was above Derwent House furniture store.

Hope thats of use to you.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Can anyone name this building? - 10th Oct 2011 8:36pm
Should be in the Street Furniture section really, but couldn't help noticing the rubber mats/strips in the road surface. The pic with the demolition guy standing in the road.

A very early set, probably made by A.T.M. L'pool. There are two separate pads to allow for the tram rails. The short pad sat twixt the rails.

When traffic was quiet, you could stamp on the pads and make the lights change! Not me you understand - I was a good little lad (?)

Thanks for the pics and info.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Can anyone name this building? - 11th Oct 2011 6:56am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

When traffic was quiet, you could stamp on the pads and make the lights change! Not me you understand - I was a good little lad (?)

Thanks for the pics and info.

I had forgotten all about stamping on the rubber pads. Me neither, I used to observe the other kids!
Posted By: yoller Re: Can anyone name this building? - 11th Oct 2011 7:48am
Jumping up and down on the rubber road pads to change the traffic lights was an enjoyable, if risky, little game when we were kids. But I remember one day in the early 60s when a policeman actually asked us to do it. He was testing the lights and the controls must have been faulty - so he recruited a bunch of us who were hanging round nearby, instructing us when to jump on the pads. Honest, m'lud, that's what happened.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Can anyone name this building? - 11th Oct 2011 8:32am
Ah. Glad it wasn't just me then. Ermmmm. Oops.
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Can anyone name this building? - 24th Apr 2012 6:11pm
If you could get a close up of it you will see it was hit by bullets from a plane, I was given this information from my gran.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral