Forums
Posted By: leelad03 The New Brighton Pier - 23rd Feb 2011 8:32pm
Right just out of interest i have been trying to locate the old pier of New Brighton that was demolished in the 70's... every picture i look at i cant thing were about it could be, was it close to the castle light house??

if anyone could put up a picture with a custom marking on it for were the location was would be greatful thanks
Lee
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Brighton Pier - 23rd Feb 2011 8:37pm
Pier was straight on from Victoria Road (Victoria Parade as it is now), the pier was at a very slight angle to the right.
Posted By: leelad03 Re: The New Brighton Pier - 23rd Feb 2011 8:43pm
ahhh so there is a pier basicly built on the same spot the old one used to be on??...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The New Brighton Pier - 23rd Feb 2011 8:52pm
As dd said, the entrance to the pier was directly opposite the bottom of Victoria Road. Right alongside the pier - like only a few feet away, was the parallel "pier" leading to the floating landing stage for the New Brighton Ferry. This jutted out a little further into the river.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: The New Brighton Pier - 23rd Feb 2011 8:52pm
Here's a map of 1876, showing the original line on the tide...it seems that Perch Rock Fort is not publicised on maps of this era either even though it had been around for a while (because of military significance?).

Description: Pier in 1876
Attached picture pier1876.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Brighton Pier - 23rd Feb 2011 8:55pm
A picture says a million words ...

Attached picture NewBrightonPier.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Brighton Pier - 23rd Feb 2011 9:00pm
Reversing that, if you had to describe that picture in the minutest of detail, how many words would it take?
Posted By: leelad03 Re: The New Brighton Pier - 23rd Feb 2011 9:07pm
very interesting this smile shame it all got demolished though....
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 3:35am
go down with a spade at low tide lol. I dont remember pier only the arcade was it golden summat? Just that weird shape thing there now.
Posted By: MikeT Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 7:18am
Originally Posted by leelad03
very interesting this smile shame it all got demolished though....

I remember seeing it being blown up on the TV news. This would have been about 1976/1977.

Stephen: the "weird shape" thing is a sewage pumping station. You did ask... sick
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 9:32am
The Golden Goose!
Originally Posted by stephen1972
go down with a spade at low tide lol. I dont remember pier only the arcade was it golden summat? Just that weird shape thing there now.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 9:55am
pics

Attached picture phpkImXn7AM.jpg
Attached picture phpUq4BlyAM.jpg
Attached picture phpl16kSTAM.jpg
Posted By: Geekus Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 12:11pm
Anyone ever recall seeing what was touted as being the original 'Batmobile' at New Brighton Pier? Seem to think it was in a glass dome.

I'd swear I didn't just imagine it...

Posted By: philmch Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 12:27pm
Originally Posted by geekus
Anyone ever recall seeing what was touted as being the original 'Batmobile' at New Brighton Pier? Seem to think it was in a glass dome.

There was certainly a "Batmobile" at Fort Perch Rock. It was very dubious though. Probably just an old Zodiac with the roof cut off, fins glued on, and painted black.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 1:19pm
Sounds a bit far fetched to me!!! liar

Posted By: Geekus Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 1:38pm
Think philmch is right.

Could well have been Fort Perch Rock. Anyone as old as me could easily get confused!

All I know is that I deffo saw it at New Brighton and am sure it was kept behind glass.
Posted By: kimpri Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 1:56pm
Think philmch is right.

Could well have been Fort Perch Rock. Anyone as old as me could easily get confused!

All I know is that I deffo saw it at New Brighton and am sure it was kept behind glass.
Ye,Im sure the batmobile was in perch rock,

Don't know about being as old as you tho smile .
Posted By: Geekus Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 2:20pm
Cheeky bugger!

If I wanted insults I'd speak to my ex wife!!!

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 8:19pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
Think philmch is right.

found this bit smile

When I was ten in 1966, at the height of Batman mania, the Liverpool Echo reported that Fort Perch Rock (tourist atrraction in New Brighton) had bought the Batmobile. I could not contain myself, and spent the rest of the week cajoling and encouraging my mates to get the money together to go and do over to New Brighton to see the wonderous vehicle. cool
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 8:24pm
TC your never that age.XXXX
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
Originally Posted by kimpri1
Think philmch is right.

found this bit smile

When I was ten in 1966, at the height of Batman mania, the Liverpool Echo reported that Fort Perch Rock (tourist atrraction in New Brighton) had bought the Batmobile. I could not contain myself, and spent the rest of the week cajoling and encouraging my mates to get the money together to go and do over to New Brighton to see the wonderous vehicle. cool
Posted By: Geekus Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 8:39pm
Sorry TC!!!

If I hadn't asked the question in the first place your secret would have been safe!

Wonder if the car was just a clever copy though?
Posted By: torryman Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 8:46pm
Hi...I remember the batmobile being in the Fort Perch Rock in the late sixties ...I think it had 2 dummies sat in it (no pun intended) it wasn't behind glass (don't think so anyway) but I read on another forum somewhere that there were 7 bat mobiles made for the tv series.

But it was definitely there.
Posted By: Geekus Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 9:28pm
Cheers torryman. At least part of what I remembered was right!

Just have to figure out a way of getting this thread back to the subject of New Brighton Pier now and away from Fort Perch Rock & the Batmobile!! Sorry folks...

Posted By: hoseman Re: The New Brighton Pier - 24th Feb 2011 9:30pm
Yep, i sdaw the batmobile in the early 70`s at perch rock, and the `dummies` in the cockpit!!! was fascinated by this as a kid. wonder what happened to it?? Ive seen the one at `The Cars The Stars`, in the lake district!
Posted By: sunnyside Re: The New Brighton Pier - 20th Feb 2021 6:40pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sunnyside Re: The New Brighton Pier - 20th Feb 2021 6:44pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sunnyside Re: The New Brighton Pier - 20th Feb 2021 6:46pm
[Linked Image] 1959
Posted By: sunnyside Re: The New Brighton Pier - 20th Feb 2021 6:55pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cools Re: The New Brighton Pier - 20th Feb 2021 8:14pm
That last picture with the Golden Goose is how I remember it, good times.....
Posted By: casper Re: The New Brighton Pier - 21st Feb 2021 9:24am
I remember as kids we used to go searching under the pier for dropped coins as the decking had gaps in between, found a half crown once but usually pennies and sixpences, then off to the arcades.
Posted By: bri445 Re: The New Brighton Pier - 22nd Feb 2021 9:59am
All this reminds me of that super film 'The Magnet', showing off New Brighton to the rest of the world in simpler times.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The New Brighton Pier - 28th Mar 2021 4:28pm
Old pic don't know what date

Attached picture ferry2.jpg
Posted By: mikeeb Re: The New Brighton Pier - 29th Mar 2021 7:37am
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...-ferry-hotel-victoria-rd.html#Post426899
© Wirral-Wikiwirral