Forums
745 Stanley Arms 76 Borough Road/once Victoria Road Seacombe

Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Pic of The Stanley Pub in Seacombe (could not find it in Index) Nicked this one from Facebook. Degs, I have various pub related clippings from local papers, care of Grandad to upload too.

Attached picture Stanleys_pub.jpg
Originally Posted by Norton
At the bottom of Borough Rd, on the north side, by its junction with Brighton St. Tunnel vent in the background.
The building with the rounded frontage was a bank that became a pub/club named 'Le Banque' (not to be confused with Stanleys 'Old Bank' at the top of Tobin Street).
I think 'The Stanley' is hiding in the shadows of the photo, behind the car, perhaps?.
From old maps, I reckon that it was 25 yards to the east from the end of the Stanley St/Borough Rd (aka Victoria Rd) junction.

Good find though. Needs adding to the pubs index.
Originally Posted by Dilly
I think it is the building just off shot to the left.
Dilly, I think I would agree with you. Right now I've been looking for the old map from where I originally derived its location, being 76 Borough Rd (nee Victoria Rd) Seacombe. This shows a little 'PH' in a square in the corner of the 'hotel'.

Rather strangely, I think the Stanley Pub was in the corner of the Stanley Arms Hotel building. They are recorded seperately on the 1871 cencus, and the first time I have a street number recorded for them is 1902. They had different heads of household or licencee recorded for each premise at the same time. They had different drinks licences, one as a hotel and one as a pub. It was some time later that they became one and the same. Or it could be due to discrepencies in the trade directories...

.... Stanley Pub ------ Stanley Arms Hotel
1857 T O'Dell
1871 Joseph Martin ---- Hugh Williams
1883 George Hallgarth
1902 -------------------- John J Linton
1910 -------------------- Robert Leeman
off sonylegs

Attached picture 1 Directory1949.jpg
Originally Posted by zigzagwanderer
The Stanley c1904 , highlighted in yellow in the lower photo . The green outlines the Irving Theatre .

Attached picture Stan_I-vert.jpg
Finally closed around 1986 .

From what I can remember it had a more modern frontage than the rest of the buildings in the block. I would have thought it closed a fair bit earlier than 86, possibly in the seventies.
Originally Posted by derekdwc
sonylegs
1949 street diectory
Please could you tell me where you got it from,as I would like to get later ones than what I have
bought on cd?
copied from a library street directory (by camera or photocopied?
online?
Derek

pm sent

Originally Posted by bert1
From what I can remember it had a more modern frontage than the rest of the buildings in the block. I would have thought it closed a fair bit earlier than 86, possibly in the seventies.

Its in the 1976 phone book, see below.

Its not in the 1984.

Attached picture 1976.JPG
off sonylegs

Attached picture Stanley_Hotel.jpg
Attached picture 1966.jpg
Attached picture victoria_road_1909.png
Originally Posted by sonylegs
Dilly, I think I would agree with you. Right now I've been looking for the old map from where I originally derived its location, being 76 Borough Rd (nee Victoria Rd) Seacombe. This shows a little 'PH' in a square in the corner of the 'hotel'.

Rather strangely, I think the Stanley Pub was in the corner of the Stanley Arms Hotel building. They are recorded seperately on the 1871 cencus, and the first time I have a street number recorded for them is 1902. They had different heads of household or licencee recorded for each premise at the same time. They had different drinks licences, one as a hotel and one as a pub. It was some time later that they became one and the same. Or it could be due to discrepencies in the trade directories...

.... Stanley Pub ------ Stanley Arms Hotel
1857 T O'Dell
1871 Joseph Martin ---- Hugh Williams
1883 George Hallgarth
1902 -------------------- John J Linton
1910 -------------------- Robert Leeman

Mr. Maurice Thomas was the manager of the Joint City and Midland Bank. Mr. John Greenwell became manager in the 1930s. Among the other businesses in this part of the road were the fish and chip shop run by Archie Chippendale, Arthur White the stationer and Joe Scott, the butcher. Bob Leenam was landlord of the 'Stanley Arms' hotel and in the 1920s Reg Prichard took over, followed by Jim Horsley. The hotel once had a balcony and next door was 'Belle Vue', with steps leading up to the front door. The hotel once boasted a bowling green.
After looking at some maps 1915 and 1950s
I'm still trying to get my head around the 1st pic of post as being the Stanley Arms 76 Borough Road
Anyone know the name of the PH at top of 1915 map by Tabor st
Shame my numbered 1950s stops short

Attached picture borough road pubs for wiki .JPG
Attached picture Borough rd seacombe pubs.jpg
My cousin Harry Gilmore and wife Grace managed the Stanley from late 60's to closure sometime in the late 80's - Harry died about 2000

I, too think it closed in 1986. My dad has a photo of himself, partner and land-lord taken on the night it closed. I'm sure the date on the back is 1986.
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

I, too think it closed in 1986. My dad has a photo of himself, partner and land-lord taken on the night it closed. I'm sure the date on the back is 1986.
My mistake- just ranh him- he said 1981.
Found it in the 1982 phone book, then that's it. haven't got the 83, its not in the 84.
I'm still trying to get my head around the 1st pic of post as being the Stanley Arms 76 Borough Road
Anyone know the name of the PH at top of 1915 map by Tabor st
Shame my numbered 1950s stops short

I thought it may have been a Post Office not a Pub?.
Did the Stanley have a mosaic of a Higsons Liver Bird on the floor outside the front door? I seem to remember it. The shop before the Stanley, with the jigger between them, was the doll's hospital if I'm not mistaken.
Little bit further up was the hospital, 76 was the stanley arms and 82 was the dolls hospital.

Attached picture Untitled.png
Attached picture Dolls Hospital.jpg
here is a map of the bowling green, with another pub listed just to the right in Brighton Street 1875

Attached picture 1875 bowling green.jpg
On the 1836-51 Tithe Maps, the complete L shape plot of land (plot No. 57) is recorded as being owned and occupied by Thomas Odell, and the plot name id 'The Stanley Arms Hotel' and includes the Bowling Green. It is immediately recognised by the angle that the building makes with the road.

Meanwhile, plot No. 56, the two premises to the west of the hotel, beyond the passage in the above map, are owned by Thomas Affleck and occupied by Alice Dorothy Darby & Margaret Dean, and described as 'Two Houses Gardens and Yards'.

Plot 58, to the east of the hotel, was owned by John Mawdsley and occupied by John Brown & John Roberts, with the property described as 'House Shop Cottages and Yard'.

What we need now is a street directory for the lower end of Brighton St. to help identify the pub by the BM 49.6 mark, and to see if there was one, or if it was a Post Office, on the corner of Tabor St - something that was raised earlier in this post.

And I'd like to find the map I saw that indicated that at one time the pub and Hotel may have been seperate.
Sure looks like PO and not PH when blown up.

Attached picture led.png

Attached picture 1938.JPG

Attached picture 1911.JPG

The doorway on the left is not the Stanley Arms but the shop next to it as seen in this photo , both pics show the preceding properties outlined in red & then blue , the top pic shows the Stanley outlined in yellow .

Attached picture Borough Rd Outlined.jpg
Originally Posted by sonylegs
here is a map of the bowling green, with another pub listed just to the right in Brighton Street 1875

Think i may of solved the pub problem in Brighton Street.
Listed as being the victualler for the Brighton Hotel.

Attached picture pub.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral