Forums
Posted By: granny Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 24th Jan 2017 4:02pm
It was the Euro MP's that voted in this strange change of laws relating to selling cigarettes in packets of 20's only, throughout the European community.

I have to ask, does anyone know why or believe that such an act will benefit and how ?

It doesn't seem to make much sense, apart from the younger generation being unable to afford them. Of course, that can be got around by couple of them pooling their funds and splitting a 20 pack.

How about bringing in 2 ltr bottles of vodka as well ?

Posted By: j_demo Re: Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 24th Jan 2017 6:36pm
Had this discussion in work recently actually as rolling tobacco you can only buy in big packs now too. I came to the conclusion that your 'part time' smokers who only have <5 a day will more than likely quit as NRT is available for free so they'll probably take that up or move over to e-cigs. Anyone who smokes 6-14 a day might or might not quit, just depends on their individual views and situation and 15+'ers it won't affect i don't think.

So i think it will work for the ones who don't smoke much having to buy a big packet at a higher cost will no doubt make them think twice. But baby steps and all that. Pricing people out of a lethal habit is probably the most effective way of getting people to quit or not take it up in the first place
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 24th Jan 2017 6:48pm
our local shop still sells 10s as well as 20s ?
Posted By: granny Re: Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 24th Jan 2017 7:21pm

J-Demo

March 2016.

The EU agrees to tax e-cigarettes at a higher rate, but I'm not sure if this will or has come into effect.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-campaign-with-eu-taxes-set-to-be-raised

They are reducing the supply of 10's in our little shop on a daily basis, Fish. The packaging for the new packs is dreadful. It could certainly put someone off. I wonder if the European countries have the same packaging there too ?

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 24th Jan 2017 7:50pm
They are reducing the supply of 10's in our little shop on a daily basis, Fish

My lad is sadly doing his bit to deplete stocks in our local but they still keep appearing there. sigh !
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 25th Jan 2017 12:49am
When I smoked as a callow youth you could buy packs of 5 Park Drive cigarettes, or if you were really the skint shops would sell you single cigarettes ( loosies ). In fact one of my teachers at Rock Ferry High used to to send me to the Carlton shop on Dacre Hill to get his packet of cigars and say get a loosie for yourself, imagine that happening today.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 25th Jan 2017 11:32am
Originally Posted by Beethoven
When I smoked as a callow youth you could buy packs of 5 Park Drive cigarettes, or if you were really the skint shops would sell you single cigarettes ( loosies ). In fact one of my teachers at Rock Ferry High used to to send me to the Carlton shop on Dacre Hill to get his packet of cigars and say get a loosie for yourself, imagine that happening today.

Happy days though. ! One of my lads at park high had a little business going . He would stock up with goodies from B+M Home Bargain and sell them at lunch time and breaktimes. They got a warning in assembly that they were putting the school canteen out of business. Should have reported the school to the monopoly commission.!
Posted By: Norton Re: Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 27th Jan 2017 1:15pm
Anybody noticed that some packs of 20 are actually only 19 now, and has been for over a year? It does say in the small print on the side, but when you ask for 20 you expect 20. I guess this makes a one pack look cheaper than a rival brand.
Perhaps the rule to outlaw 10's in favour of 20's might get full measure restored.

Having said that, we've been getting 19 fluid ounces to a pint of beer for years...!
By some weird agreement, it can be up to 10% short for a pint of real ale.
Posted By: keef666 Re: Cigarettes in Packets of 20's - 28th Jan 2017 4:35am
One reason i voted out,
I buy a packet of 10 cigarettes each day, so when they come in 20's that means i will smoke more, yeah they really thought that one though!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral