Forums
Posted By: Steve123 Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 20th Jun 2011 9:46pm
There's been a very loud helicopter over the Wallasey area sounds to loud to be the police one??

Has anyone seen it?? Or heard it?? Or am I going bloody mad
been over Moreton too...my hubby reckons it sounds like a chinook, but he CBA'd going out to look!!
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 20th Jun 2011 9:56pm
Yer it sounded something big like that, or a rescue one that goes out to sea and the oil rigs
if it comes back around, I will kick him out for a nosey!!
Posted By: jackie3967 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 20th Jun 2011 10:02pm
been over bidston 10 mins ago chinook ?
Posted By: Fatfairy Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 20th Jun 2011 10:03pm
Very loud over moreton by the time i went out it had gone,
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 20th Jun 2011 10:33pm
Heard it in Bromborough about 40 mins ago.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 20th Jun 2011 10:42pm
Passed over Greasby also. One of those heavy-duty long beasties (I know nothing about helicopters!) with a rotor at front and rear; very distinctive sound.
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 1:22am
Heard it on the Woodchurch too, seen it fly over about 3-4 days ago coming from the Irish sea following the M53 towards Chester, can always tell a chinook it has a very distinctive sound. I wonder why its flying around the Wirral? I also saw a AH-64 fly over about 6-9 months ago.
I doubt it was a wooka (chinook, sounds like wooka wooka wooka)they are unbelievably loud, so loud in fact I bet the MOD retrict where they are aloud to fly because of noise polution, was it a RNLI sea king? they are also big and lound, just a bit more common in this part of the world.
Heard it over Birkenhead.

these bad boys were over Birkenhead the other day...

Attached picture IMG202[01].JPG
Flew right over my house in bromborough was one of them double ended things lol
Posted By: Fatfairy Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 9:07am
chinook, not sure how you spell that
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 9:11am
It looks like the army where doing some sort of training just incase anything was to happen over in Liverpool, they would use the Wirral to land supplies
Posted By: IanPenny Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 9:27am
About 5pm yesterday there was a Tornado flew down the mersey heading out to sea probably about 100ft off the floor.

my money is on Prince William having an early birthday celebration!
Posted By: Fatfairy Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 9:39am
wow wish i had seen thst,. sorry i missed the chinook too, i watch them in wonder at how they stay up, they look so clumsy, i got to go in a linx when i was in the army, but i always wanted to go in a chinook but they oppertunity never arose,
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 10:28am
Sorry for late reply but I could hear from Oxton around that time too ;-) It usually flies over the Wirral a couple of times a month but never heard it that late at night before and although i didnt see it last night because of the low cloud cover i have taken a pics of it on previous fly bys.

Description: Chinook over Oxton
Attached picture DSC00563.JPG
Posted By: tomcat77 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 11:01am
Yes I also spotted the Tornado doing a slow pass over the Moreton area !!!
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 11:35am
Clocked this last night, was defo a chinook, noisey buggers amazing how they actually manage to fly they are huge.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 12:24pm
i can confirm that a tornado aircraft landed at liverpool JLA yesterday and that chinooks were over the wirral!
Posted By: delta6 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 2:00pm
yeah i saw the tornado in moreton on sunday morning.
Posted By: zippy49 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 3:35pm
noticed it comming over wallasey village area a lot
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 4:56pm
...just passed over...
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 4:57pm
Two Chinooks just flew over again from Chester ways towards Wallasey docks.

War on Terror has come to the Wirral smile
I heard them over tranmere
Saw two chinooks flying LOW over Oxton today. Heard the fast jet yesterday too
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 6:41pm
when we lived in the on the prom used to see chinooks and other stuff flying along the river quite often.
Tornadoes and other jets are constantly flying down the Mersey, worked on Water St until April this year, pretty much one a day or more. By the way, working on Old Hall St at present, just by passport office, and Chinook just flew over between the buildings.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 7:41pm
Just saw a chinook, following the path of the Mersey, heading towards Birkenhead.
Are all these sightings 'normal'?
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 8:39pm
It's all for training by the looks of it hopefully anyway..
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 9:17pm
Yer, i hope so
Posted By: Little_B Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 10:28pm
I seen two small fighter planes fly over my house in bidston today going towards new brighton all sounds fishy to me
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 21st Jun 2011 10:46pm
RAF Chinook helicopters on training exercises in Liverpool
Liverpool Daily Post
May 10 2011

TWO RAF Chinooks spotted over Liverpool yesterday were on training exercises.

The support helicopters dropped into the Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in Thomas Drive, Broad Green before heading off to Liverpool John Lennon Airport to refuel.

Crews were practising landing in build-up areas at various helipads across the North West as part of Afghanistan training.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...g-exercises-in-liverpool-92534-28664274/

saw the two at 6pm over Birkenhead yesterday!
Posted By: leboo Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 22nd Jun 2011 8:06am
grin yes i heard tht helicopter too , I Lv helicopters i ran out to see it!(& I wave to pilots if they low enough grin ) but nowere above....made me thnk it's a chinnook, Last week i saw some kind of Jet flying 'pretty low' over Mersey..
Posted By: delta6 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 22nd Jun 2011 8:54am
Originally Posted by Sallybear
Tornadoes and other jets are constantly flying down the Mersey, worked on Water St until April this year, pretty much one a day or more. By the way, working on Old Hall St at present, just by passport office, and Chinook just flew over between the buildings.

sally - i think those ones you saw are the hawk trainer planes as i see them every day as i work on the waterfront. sometimes 2 or 3 a day.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 22nd Jun 2011 10:29am
Shi* it's ww3 raftl
Posted By: jenscho Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 22nd Jun 2011 8:41pm
apparantly the river Tigris in Iraq is very similar to the Mersey (width wise I think) and so the tornados used to use it for training before they went out there!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 23rd Jun 2011 9:02am
You will probably see a few around the North West - they are using the north/south low level corridor between Manchester and Liverpool airport control zones. Its a narrow corridor (airway) which allows light aircraft & helicopters to transit the area without getting involved with all the commercial air traffic in the area. The corridor has a max altitude of 1250 feet, so anything using it appears fairly low!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 23rd Jun 2011 9:24am
This may help smile

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&p=345114
I KNOW SOUTHPORT IS A FEW MILES AWAY FROM THE WIRRAL BUT THE SOUTHPORT AIR SHOW IS NEXT MONTH,AND I RECKON THE CHINOOKS AND TORNADO'S ARE GETTING READY FOR IT AS THEY WILL 100% BE THERE NEXT MONTH AND THERE BOUND TO BE DOING FLY-BY'S AND THE SURROUNDING AREA'S.I DO RECCOMEND PEOPLE TO VISIT THE AIR SHOW ITS BRILLIANT AND THE KIDS WOULD LOVE IT,THAT NEW FIGHTER JET THE EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON IS AN EYE CATCHER WATCH THIS BEAST IN THE AIR DOESNT HALF GO AT SOME TREMENDOUS SPEED *NOTE* DONT BLINK U WILL MISS IT LOL.THE FAMOUS RED ARROWS WILL BE THERE AND MANY OTHER FIGHTER JETS/HELICOPTERS,WIRRAL SHOULD DO THERE OWN AIR SHOW NEW BRIGHTON PROMENADE IS BIG ENOUGH.WE SHOUD DO A FACEBOOK PAGE OR A WIKIWIRRAL PAGE TO BACK AN AIR SHOW FOR THE WIRRAL? ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Are you stood by a helicopter now Clemo?

NO NEED TO SHOUT! smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 25th Jun 2011 10:54am
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Are you stood by a helicopter now Clemo?

raftl very good.
i seen them when i was walking home from work, i think they were dropping aid packages such as rice, water and clothing to the effected areas in birkenhead, the army are refusing to land incase of infection. reports suggest that some areas of seacombe were blocked off by police barriers through fear of mass crowding appealing for help. the army have appologised and radio messages have been broadcasted to indicate that these forgotten areas will be included on the next run dropping off supplies, tensions have calmed for now!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 25th Jun 2011 11:35am
Originally Posted by HistoricalTony
i seen them when i was walking home from work, i think they were dropping aid packages such as rice, water and clothing to the effected areas in birkenhead, the army are refusing to land incase of infection. reports suggest that some areas of seacombe were blocked off by police barriers through fear of mass crowding appealing for help. the army have appologised and radio messages have been broadcasted to indicate that these forgotten areas will be included on the next run dropping off supplies, tensions have calmed for now!

laffin i love this guy
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Loud helicopter over Wallasey Area anyone?? - 25th Jun 2011 11:46am
Excellent,about time we had a larf on here!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral