Forums
Posted By: muzzy2 Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 8:40am
Would love to hear some church bells or fireworks at midnight on Friday!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 11:08am
It would be a bit early for celebration, we now have at least a year under EU control to do whatever they want with us.

We are "leaving" in name only.
Posted By: granny Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 11:17am
So would I, Muzzy. Somehow I don't think any organised displays are in the pipeline, as we have not heard anything . However, a commemorative Guy Fawkes Night of 400 yrs ago, is always more appealing to spend money on , for the many in this area. They like to live in the past ! grin

Flags are to be flying all the way down the Mall to Buck Palace, that's all I have heard. I doubt there will be any bell ringing, churches won't want to enter into politics on this occasion. But, we can wait in hope, maybe the uncanny quietness means there are celebrations being organised and undisclosed until the last minute. Let's hope so. yipee

Big Ben won't chime because Remainer's don't like the idea, new commemorative 50 pence pieces are not going to be handled by the 'Remainer's . Farage can't have his party outside Westminster, Remainer's might cause problems.

Strange how the Leaver's were put under the umbrella of being uneducated and pig ignorant.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 12:16pm
Well, at least we're making a start after all this time wasting, so gives most of us some hope things are progressing in the right way.
I think we are all too apathetic and wait for others to do anything.
The politicians do not set us a good example.
Posted By: lincle Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 3:47pm
Rather have a quiet nights sleep .
Posted By: granny Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 6:52pm

We're Off !

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 7:14pm
Says it all.

MEP's voted overwhelmingly in favour of Boris Deal (621 - 49)
MP's voted in favour by a fair margin. (342 - 254)

Guess who has the better side of the deal! The EU were rubbing their hands at this deal and would have been mad to turn it down.

We have agreed to very little other than during the next 12 months the EU has control over us without our right to reply.

And now it all starts again - we are back in negotiations, Boris will promise no deal/WTO-rules rather than bad deal but when it comes to the crunch he will bottle out.

Watching the EU parliament on the Brexit vote I was surprised at the amount of non-UK support for anti-EU matters but that is the problem with the EU, the MEPs carry no clout.
Posted By: granny Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 7:30pm

How do you know Boris will, bottle out ?

Canada have got probs with the EU at the moment , their exports have been reduced and EU exports have been raised .Canada Agri-business exports drop by 10% . That's quite a lot.

In retrospect the EU would have had control over us for a lot longer than 11 months, had we not been leaving.
Posted By: casper Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 8:49pm
Originally Posted by granny

Canada have got probs with the EU at the moment , their exports have been reduced and EU exports have been raised .Canada Agri-business exports drop by 10% . That's quite a lot.

In retrospect the EU would have had control over us for a lot longer than 11 months, had we not been leaving.

If he was a Viking he would be called Boris no balls, he talks a good fight.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Celebrate - 29th Jan 2020 9:17pm

Name one initial statement he has said where either it hasn't changed later or just been false in the first place, I can't think of any.

It's a long time since October 31st, he's still alive and he's not in a ditch.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Celebrate - 30th Jan 2020 7:58am
From The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/busines...vote-affected-uk-economy-january-verdict
The pound has erased the gains made after Boris Johnson’s Conservatives won the biggest majority in more than 30 years at the general election, amid concern that Britain could end the Brexit transition period in December without an EU deal. Sterling had soared by about five cents against the US dollar on the foreign exchanges to above $1.35 after Johnson’s landslide victory. However, it has slumped back down to $1.30 over the past month after Johnson warned he will not extend the time for trade talks and could diverge from EU rules – causing disruption for businesses.

The pound remains more than 10% down on its level before the Brexit vote almost four years ago.

Celebrate ???
Posted By: cools Re: Celebrate - 30th Jan 2020 8:30am
I’m just glad that a decision was made and things have started to move on...Nobody really knows what’s going to happen so I will remain optimistic and hope for good things to come about.
Posted By: granny Re: Celebrate - 30th Jan 2020 9:35am

Salmon, I have the live charts in front of me... dollar against sterling of the foreign exchange was $1.35 for one day only on 12th December. It has regularly been around $1.30/31 apart from last August when it had dropped to $1.20. and had to climb back up again. In October it was $1.23 .

$1.31 in August 2016. and the Euro was much the same against the dollar in that it was $1.12 in August 2016 compared to $1.10 . today.

So it's all in the name of scare mongering. If people don't have time to check this stuff out that can act accordingly and panic, e.g. buy/sell shares against such indiscriminate journalism.

Posted By: granny Re: Celebrate - 30th Jan 2020 9:49am
Originally Posted by muzzy2
Well, at least we're making a start after all this time wasting, so gives most of us some hope things are progressing in the right way.
I think we are all too apathetic and wait for others to do anything.
The politicians do not set us a good example.

We need to be positive and determined. For so long, the UK Gov's have been directed by Brussels, I believe they have forgotten how to rule with sincerity. They sat and waited for the next command.
All gone now.

The majority of the country is up for it, that's obvious , so why should MEP's be snivelling yesterday ? Probably got their P45, and why should those who supported Leave be having to apologise ?

No I won't apologise , Celebrate we will, and survive .

We got called on to help Europe after they'd rolled over in WWII, we went to their aid and rescue. Then they told 'us' they could improve OUR lives ........... well, they haven't , so that battle was also lost. We are better than that !

Wonder which country will be next, Poland or Hungary. They've already scuppered Greece's chances.

Anyway, enjoy muzzy, what ever you do, it's like a cloud being lifted. Brilliant !!
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Celebrate - 30th Jan 2020 7:07pm
getting a bottle of Tolly English Ale from Home and Bargain...that will do me unless a local pub is doing anything. Weatherspoons perhaps?
Posted By: granny Re: Celebrate - 31st Jan 2020 12:37am

I'm sure there will be somewhere, Fish. I reckon just keeping everything under wraps for fear of reprisals from the Remainers. Nobody would want a drunken brawl on their establishment.
Posted By: casper Re: Celebrate - 31st Jan 2020 8:49am

I'm sure there will be somewhere, Fish. I reckon just keeping everything under wraps for fear of reprisals from the Remainers. Nobody would want a drunken brawl on their establishment.

Why would anyone want to brawl over it ? the damage is done, the brawling will come when all the promises are broken and the lies are laid bare and those that were misled enough to vote for it realise they were duped. xxx
Posted By: granny Re: Celebrate - 31st Jan 2020 11:29am
Originally Posted by casper

Why would anyone want to brawl over it ? the damage is done, the brawling will come when all the promises are broken and the lies are laid bare and those that were misled enough to vote for it realise they were duped. xxx

I really wouldn't know, Casper, but if we take the response to certain announced celebrations in London, e.g. Big Ben, and parties outside Westminster, there is a clear indication that not all things will be enjoyed by everyone. Personally, I think they could stay away if they don't like it, but no... public money raised for the Big Bong , due to opposition, has been given to the Help the Heroes, instead.. plus Remainers have said they will not accept the new 50p coin. Now that IS getting very silly.

The word 'duped' could and should refer to our original referendum of 1975.

Posted By: casper Re: Celebrate - 31st Jan 2020 7:13pm
Originally Posted by casper
[quote=granny]

I really wouldn't know, Casper, but if we take the response to certain announced celebrations in London, e.g. Big Ben, and parties outside Westminster, there is a clear indication that not all things will be enjoyed by everyone. Personally, I think they could stay away if they don't like it, but no... public money raised for the Big Bong , due to opposition, has been given to the Help the Heroes, instead.. plus Remainers have said they will not accept the new 50p coin. Now that IS getting very silly.

The word 'duped' could and should refer to our original referendum of 1975.

[/quote

Public money raised for a Boris stunt, that backfired because he didn't do his homework, charging in without checking if it would have been possible to assemble and set up for the "bigday" but that's Boris all over, so in love with his own image as a Churchhill type PM rallying the country, let's hope that there is someone proficient at damage control in his party, they will be needed in the coming months.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Celebrate - 31st Jan 2020 9:22pm
But it is worrying that the UK under the Tories can't even ring a hanging bell!

Next they won't be able to fill in pot holes in the road or fix streetlamps!
Posted By: granny Re: Celebrate - 31st Jan 2020 10:28pm
To be honest I haven't even read your more than the first line of both the above posts.

Some very miserable people on here. laugh

Now, enjoy your cocoa , sleep well and let the world pass you bye. Night , night.

Everyone else, Happy Brexit, have a good time, and lets; look forward to a new beginning.

bananadance

Attached picture Swallow.png
Posted By: casper Re: Celebrate - 1st Feb 2020 9:17am
To be honest I haven't even read your more than the first line of both the above posts.

Some very miserable people on here. laugh

Now, enjoy your cocoa , sleep well and let the world pass you bye. Night , night.

Everyone else, Happy Brexit, have a good time, and lets; look forward to a new beginning.

bananadance

I hope you managed to get a good nights sleep granny, what with all the fireworks and midnight carousing going on. xxx wink
Posted By: keef666 Re: Celebrate - 1st Feb 2020 6:05pm
Sorry! We will be out when we stop paying money into Europe once and for all.
Posted By: cools Re: Celebrate - 2nd Feb 2020 11:53am
Listening to Nigel Farage on LBC who I like, he is really happy and is pleased that everybody else is now coming around to what he wanted . Good on him I say ....
© Wirral-Wikiwirral