Forums
Posted By: granny Mr Erdogan's Policy - 26th Aug 2016 8:18am

Mr Erdogan , President of Turkey, has lowered the 'Age of Consent' to 12 yrs of age !

If Turkey, join the EU will Mr Corbyn and others still be in favour of reverting Brexit, unlimited migration from Turkey, and could this be the next move towards Islamization of Europe, and changing the laws if favour of peodophiles ?

Implications could be horrendous.
Posted By: casper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 26th Aug 2016 9:15am
Yes granny a pedophiles charter indeed, the world appears to be regressing into the dark ages, religious wars, black magic mumbo jumbo, slavery, it wouldnt surprise me to hear that it could gain support here after all the recent revelations of child abuse in high places and within certain communities.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 26th Aug 2016 9:36am
Just disgusting! I've never been to Turkey and certainly won't go there now.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 26th Aug 2016 10:44pm
This is simply untrue.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/15/sweden-accuses-turkey-legalising-child-sex
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 26th Aug 2016 11:44pm

This is seriously getting 'serious' between the so called west and the "inhumane east"
The stand off will just keep boiling and explode
Why did Europe make a deal with Turkey regarding the immigrants?
Turkey done what we asked of them but have just had nothing but criticism from us so it's no wonder we are alienating them
We are all just as bad
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Aug 2016 12:27am
Trump being endorsed by Farage is just one example of the wests ignorance of our own failings and thinking we are better, stronger and know better. Trump is more dangerous than Kim Jong-un
It is a shame Obama will be leaving office because he was the one man who could have changed the world but lost to his own country's opposition to change
We are in no position criticising Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Sudan, China, Russia, North Korea and countless other countries. We know they are wrong in our eyes but what has it got to do with us? We should not interfere because it is none of our business. We have made it worse no end
I am sorry for going on a bit but when we joined the EU I thought the world would be pulling together and collaborating with each other but it has been deteriorating over many years and the brexit thing has sealed a 'don't give a fu*k about anyone else' attitude which is catching on around Europe and the world
World War 1 and 2 changed the world big time (for a small while anyway) but I think WW3 will end it for good
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Aug 2016 1:15am
Interesting how Turkey got jumped all over (even though it wasn't at all true), there are 14 European countries who have 14 as the age of consent, other countries who have 12 or 13 and some which have no minimum.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Aug 2016 4:04am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Interesting how Turkey got jumped all over (even though it wasn't at all true), there are 14 European countries who have 14 as the age of consent, other countries who have 12 or 13 and some which have no minimum.

Agreed DD
Turkey are not the problem

Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Aug 2016 7:16am
It must be OK, then !.. For little boys who don't get pregnant.
Posted By: casper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Aug 2016 6:36pm
Trump being endorsed by Farage, exactly, the same Farage that misled thousands here on Brexit touting his success to the gullible in the good ole USofA, Two blatantly obvious conmen, will we ever learn?
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 26th Nov 2016 11:34pm

Been watching the EU Parliament on Turkey. Its still on and there are huge worries and concerns about Mr Erdogan's policies, and which ever outcome there is ,there is likely to be huge implications which concern many, particularly Cyprus. He's using blackmail.

The original agreement ? ..Another of Mrs Merkel's brainstorms.

Why doesn't she give him another £4.7 billion to keep the migrant gates shut ?

Did you know, because I didn't until last week, that once any migrant is granted an EU passport, they can go to any country in the EU including UK ? I didn't think migrants could get EU passports.
Very convenient for Germany to be able to scatter the one million they welcomed last year.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Nov 2016 12:57am
Originally Posted by casper
Trump being endorsed by Farage, exactly, the same Farage that misled thousands here on Brexit touting his success to the gullible in the good ole USofA, Two blatantly obvious conmen, will we ever learn?

It was a game of who was misleading the most the remainers or the leavers. I thought the remainer politicians were the most scaremongering/distrusting so more than happy to go with Farage!!Well not really I like many millions had made our minds up 20 years ago
Posted By: casper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Nov 2016 7:49am
How can you make your mind up without knowing all the facts and details fish?
It's akin to buying clothes or shoes without trying them on, they look nice in the shop window, but do they fit and are they comfortable and good value, at least with clothes you can try them on or return them, once the brexit deal is done that's it, so we need to know that it is the best option for our country.
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Nov 2016 8:26am
I agree with Fish and mainly because I had taken an interest in the debates of the European Parliament over a period of time, and could identify with Farage's concerns, should we stay. Even now (last night's viewing)there are MEP's from other countries with the same concerns regarding the EU's democratic process. It's falling apart....the whole thing, be thankful that some had enough foresight to see it happening and made a choice to leave before it is too late.

I don't believe that any other country will get the same chance , not now. They have been wrapped up in financial control for ever more.

The Princess of Peace has managed to secure the Federal State of Europe in the Crown position, Germany's Throne secured. Top of her 'wish list' but...she obviously hasn't finished yet, if she's hoping to come back for more.
Posted By: casper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Nov 2016 12:37pm
Surely then if other countries can see it happening and have the same concerns as us, wouldn't it be better to try and reform it from within jointly? the rise of the far right and nationalists across Europe is becoming worrying, and can take a grip when people feel helpless and have lost faith in the main line political parties.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Nov 2016 1:47pm
How can you make your mind up without knowing all the facts and details fish?
It's akin to buying clothes or shoes without trying them on, they look nice in the shop window, but do they fit and are they comfortable and good value, at least with clothes you can try them on or return them, once the brexit deal is done that's it, so we need to know that it is the best option for our country.

Some of us have been considering it for 20 or 30 years.pro eu politicians have signed up for things to follow their eu ideology without a mandate from the people. Constant refusal and delaying of a referendum just got peoples backs up and suspicions aroused.
On a side issue or maybe more important one is why is eu parliament building designed as the unfinished tower of babel and also the woman riding a beast is prominent in eu symbolism. Both prophetical imagery from bible and book of revelation.
Just researching something else at the moment to ascertain accuracy and that is that seat number 666 is not allocated to an mep..gut feel its not true but wouldnt surprise me
Posted By: venice Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Nov 2016 2:12pm
Originally Posted by granny

Been watching the EU Parliament on Turkey. Its still on and there are huge worries and concerns about Mr Erdogan's policies, and which ever outcome there is ,there is likely to be huge implications which concern many, particularly Cyprus. He's using blackmail.

The original agreement ? ..Another of Mrs Merkel's brainstorms.

Why doesn't she give him another £4.7 billion to keep the migrant gates shut ?

Did you know, because I didn't until last week, that once any migrant is granted an EU passport, they can go to any country in the EU including UK ? I didn't think migrants could get EU passports.
[color:#3366FF]Very convenient for Germany to be able to scatter the one million they welcomed last year.

Yes, and cant you just imagine that at the interviews , anyone showing a wish to come to the UK will just have their name asked , a 5 second check on their suitability for acceptance, rubber stamped and waved happily through !! We could be having to take a huge proportion of what Germany took , before Brexit is finalized . Even ones that didnt fancy the Uk may have their minds changed with a few well placed words.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 27th Nov 2016 4:51pm
Just reading about Erdogans clamping down on the media. 145 journalist behind bars for saying or writing the wrong things. Worrying times for the Turks and their neighbours. Thank God for the English Channel!

Joking apart it is a difficult moral dilemma about taking in refugees especially if we consider ourselves a civilised country. Its easy to find excuses not to help. Its a numbers game. As a nation you can "lose" many without a problem.
Creating ghettos is not always helpful and the more and more that are needed may spoil are green and pleasant land
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 12:29am
Surely then if other countries can see it happening and have the same concerns as us, wouldn't it be better to try and reform it from within jointly? the rise of the far right and nationalists across Europe is becoming worrying, and can take a grip when people feel helpless and have lost faith in the main line political parties.

Reform from within does not happen when the people concerned do not engage with the people of the nations. One Prime Minister in defence of his own country is not heard, everything has to be overall policies. So 28 countries, all with different views and positions on things, some have grown up in far left, others far right, others from communist countries and leaders from those countries sit in officialdom in the European Parliament voting on how all other EU nations should adapt to change. They don't even know the true meaning of democracy, which incidentally seems to be getting diluted anyway.Modern day democracy ! How can there ever be reform from within ? It would take a lifetime. Eventually one leader, one state. Until Russia or China get a strong hold and then one leader, one world.
We also have to understand who is at the back of it all. Fish is right in some of his assumptions. Read about the Rothschild's connections in the world of today. They control most of it and no doubt have a plan in place for Brexit, A family with an amassed fortune and unscrupulous dealings ,basically running the show. No one talks about this family and the power they have in any sort of detrimental way, but my goodness our own people of this nation are more than happy to slander the nations wish for sovereignty and Queen.

Mr. Erdogan has a brutal mentality and is reverting to the death penalty, civil rights clamp down, and rekindling all the agendas that Europe have disposed of. He doesn't even listen to the UN. How can anyone think he is fit to bring his country into the EU as a member state ? If he did, he'd be voting on how we should have rules and laws imposed on this country and every other country based on his own personal views.

Ironically, some still think he should be allowed and I consider the only reason for that is the possibility for Turkey to act as a cushion between Iraq, Iran,and Syria
Europe is getting too big and when I did geography, Turkey wasn't even in Europe and neither was Israel. However, the latter has moves towards Europe accession in the future too.

We didn't think Trump would be elected, why would it not be possible for Mr Erdogan (or similar) to be elected President of the EU ? Can you not see the dangers that sit in waiting ?

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 1:24am
Erdogan is a strong ruler of a difficult country, look at other similar countries with civil and international disturbance and what has happened when we have removed their rulers (Iraq!), it descends into chaos and more people die.

It takes time for nations to develop, we should allow for this and not expect overnight solutions to human rights etc, we are hardly a good example of what to aim for.

Erdogan has been played by the EU (in their eyes) but he was always aware that he was in a position of power. Play dangerous games with dangerous people and you risk getting hurt.

Turkey has been a strategic partner to many nations for a long time with mutual advantages to all sides, why on earth did the idiots that run the EU risk losing what is a good asset?
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 11:55am
Violence is not strength.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38126581

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 12:47pm
Do you not think similar things didn't go on here when our country was at a similar level of development. It isn't right, it isn't fair but it is part of the natural process. Trying to shortcut or interfere with that process usually makes things worse not better. The
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 4:30pm
when I did geography, Turkey wasn't even in Europe

Oh, granny. Even when you did geography Turkey was (and still is) in Europe.
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 5:19pm
Originally Posted by Spellbinder
when I did geography, Turkey wasn't even in Europe

Oh, granny. Even when you did geography Turkey was (and still is) in Europe.

I always thought it was Asia Minor. Sorry, does that show my age ?

[Linked Image]

One of the great crossroads of ancient civilization is a broad peninsula that lies between the Black and Mediterranean seas. Called Asia Minor (Lesser Asia) by the Romans, the land is the Asian part of modern Turkey.
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 5:32pm
Do you not think similar things didn't go on here when our country was at a similar level of development. It isn't right, it isn't fair but it is part of the natural process. Trying to shortcut or interfere with that process usually makes things worse not better. The

With reference to our development , Turkey has a far older/ancient civilisation than we do.

Who is trying to interfere ? He is not meeting any of the criteria laid out for becoming a member of the EU. That's up to him, but we are not re-introducing the death penalty, neither have 10,000's civil servants ever been imprisoned in this country. He should not be welcomed yet into the EU and not for many years. He jumps from one side of the fence to the other, constantly and after recently visiting Iran has been warned of the trap.

Love you, kissy ,kissy !!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 5:40pm
You are both right and both wrong.

Turkey is in Europe and Asia, the majority of the country is in Asia as is its capital so it is normally classed as Asian.

Its largest city is in Europe.

The map you show has Armenia and Georgia as Europe, Armenia is definitely in Asia, Georgia is also in Asia but is often classed as Europe.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 5:47pm

With reference to our development , Turkey has a far older/ancient civilisation than we do.

Who is trying to interfere ? He is not meeting any of the criteria laid out for becoming a member of the EU. That's up to him, but we are not re-introducing the death penalty, neither have 10,000's civil servants ever been imprisoned in this country. He should not be welcomed yet into the EU and not for many years. He jumps from one side of the fence to the other, constantly and after recently visiting Iran has been warned of the trap.

I think we would have everybody locked up that was involved in a violent coup. When was the last time we had any form of violent coup? I'm sure we still had the death penalty then. Turkey is at a different stage of development, you have to compare like with like.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 7:12pm

Turkey is in Europe and Asia, the majority of the country is in Asia as is its capital so it is normally classed as Asian.

The map you show has Armenia and Georgia as Europe, Armenia is definitely in Asia, Georgia is also in Asia but is often classed as Europe.

I am not both right and wrong. I am right. I didn't say Turkey isn't in Asia. I didn't say Turkey is all in Europe. I said it is in Europe - which is correct.
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 8:04pm

I think we would have everybody locked up that was involved in a violent coup. When was the last time we had any form of violent coup? I'm sure we still had the death penalty then. Turkey is at a different stage of development, you have to compare like with like.

In that case, if they are at a different stage of development, and so far behind, they are definitely not ready to join EU. It is highly thought that he was actually behind the military coup. Too many coincidences and a good excuse to get rid of all those who stood in his way.
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 9:27pm

I am not both right and wrong. I am right. I didn't say Turkey isn't in Asia. I didn't say Turkey is all in Europe. I said it is in Europe - which is correct.

Spellbinder, If you are right and I am wrong, but I am also right and you are also wrong, does that mean we can both be half right or half wrong ? laugh
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 28th Nov 2016 9:53pm

You should try that argument on the goal line when you're refereeing a match. EDIT: actually that isn't a good example doh

"in" is encompassing, Turkey is not "in" Europe, check any dictionary and please don't blame the messenger pray
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 9:10am

You should try that argument on the goal line when you're refereeing a match. EDIT: actually that isn't a good example doh

"in" is encompassing, Turkey is not "in" Europe, check any dictionary and please don't blame the messenger pray

Turkey certainly is in Europe. It's also in Asia.
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 10:20am

Turkey is also in Asia Minor, which is the peninsula known as the Anatolian Peninsula or the Anatolian Plateau.

DD, 'its' has an apostrophe e.g. it's.(page 2, 11 posts down..check grin )

...and while we are at it, a country is referred to as a 'she' not an 'it'. So we are all wrong in that department . smile
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 2:15pm
...and while we are at it, a country is referred to as a 'she' not an 'it'. So we are all wrong in that department . smile

It's not wrong to refer to a country as "it". Nor is it wrong to refer to some countries as "she" (there are notable exceptions - perhaps the best is Germany - the Fatherland). It's become a matter of choice. Language develops - what is incorrect today may become acceptable tomorrow. Many changes really p*** me off (eg the meaning of "unique") but what can one do?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 2:30pm

On those grounds Turkey is "in" Istanbul, the UK is "in" London and your mouth is "in" your tongue. Makes like a completely different universe.

Turkey etc used to be counted as Eurasia because of the vagueness of which continent it was belonged to - but technically the UK is also in Eurasia.

Not all countries are feminine, Germany is masculine and called the Fatherland, in English it has always been acceptable to call something "it" if the gender is not known or unspecific. In modern day English, gendering inanimate objects is entirely optional as it is now classed as a figure of speech.

"Its" and its' variations has always been a bugbear with me after a certain Government education department passed an edict which subsequently proved to be incorrect. I really should learn the correct use but as I have trouble remembering if I put my socks on these days, it is all getting pretty mute smile
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 3:06pm

On those grounds Turkey is "in" Istanbul, the UK is "in" London and your mouth is "in" your tongue.

Sorry - I can't follow your logic here. You'll have to spell it out.

Turkey etc used to be counted as Eurasia because of the vagueness of which continent it was belonged to - but technically the UK is also in Eurasia.

There's nothing "technical" about it - the UK is in Eurasia if one accepts the popular definition of what Eurasia is. And Turkey is in Eurasia - no "used to be" about it.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 5:31pm
In:- expressing the situation of something that is or appears to be enclosed or surrounded by something else.

Enclosed or surrounded does not include partially enclosed or partially surrounded (if there is such a thing?). "In" is conducent with "inside" and "within".

Interestingly the term "in" can be misconstrued by context, eg "Vatican City is in Italy" is both true and false depending on context (political or physical).

Turkey is not enclosed within Europe therefore it is not "in" Europe, it can be both part of Europe or partially in Europe which haven't got the overriding requirement of being wholly within.

UK is part of Eurasia for a technical reason:- the geographical construction of the continent, therefore it is technically part of Eurasia, this does not exclude it being part of Eurasia for other reasons eg common usage.

Common usage of the term Eurasia has near enough ceased partly due to the different usages of the term in recent times, in the past it was in more common usage, especially for the Turkish and other border regions (and less so for the UK), hence I refereed to the past when Turkey was commonly referred to as part of Eurasia. Using the past tence for a logical statement does not preclude it still being part of Eurasia (eg "I was English and I am still English" is not contradictory).

You are welcome to convince me otherwise on any of these points - there are a number of words that I have totally misconstrued in the past and my brain isn't getting any sharper.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 5:57pm
I've always thought of Turkey as Istabul being the gateway to Europe and the rest of Turkey as the Middle East.

Far East as China, Japan etc

Near East now known as middle east
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 6:07pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
I've always thought of Turkey as Istabul being the gateway to Europe and the rest of Turkey as the Middle East.

Far East as China, Japan etc

Near East now known as middle east

I think you could be right DWC. The Bosphorus separates Europe and Asia. Now we need to find out when Turkey strolled onto the other side of the Bosphorus and took the land belonging to whoever it may have belonged too.

From now on we can call Germany HE ? Vatican City is a state surrounded by Rome. Not in Italy
Posted By: granny Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 29th Nov 2016 10:55pm
Not sure if it can be an extension of this topic. No harm done.

[youtube]RH8Cd44buZ4[/youtube]

[youtube]BNdZso7ek2s[/youtube]
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Mr Erdogan's Policy - 30th Nov 2016 8:05am
In:- expressing the situation of something that is or appears to be enclosed or surrounded by something else.

Enclosed or surrounded does not include partially enclosed or partially surrounded (if there is such a thing?). "In" is conducent with "inside" and "within".

Interestingly the term "in" can be misconstrued by context, eg "Vatican City is in Italy" is both true and false depending on context (political or physical).

Turkey is not enclosed within Europe therefore it is not "in" Europe, it can be both part of Europe or partially in Europe which haven't got the overriding requirement of being wholly within.

UK is part of Eurasia for a technical reason:- the geographical construction of the continent, therefore it is technically part of Eurasia, this does not exclude it being part of Eurasia for other reasons eg common usage.

Common usage of the term Eurasia has near enough ceased partly due to the different usages of the term in recent times, in the past it was in more common usage, especially for the Turkish and other border regions (and less so for the UK), hence I refereed to the past when Turkey was commonly referred to as part of Eurasia. Using the past tence for a logical statement does not preclude it still being part of Eurasia (eg "I was English and I am still English" is not contradictory).

You are welcome to convince me otherwise on any of these points - there are a number of words that I have totally misconstrued in the past and my brain isn't getting any sharper.

"In" (according to my lexicon) means "inside or within". No mention of "partial". Hence Turkey is in Europe. It's also in Asia.

Interestingly, using your definition, France is not in Europe. Neither is Spain. Nor, surprisingly, is the USA in America.

The UK is in Eurasia not for a technical reason - it is by definition.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral