Forums
Posted By: Lacylee Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 9:03am
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...its-cut-by-4-500-a-year-100252-32518487/

Who will help this family? Not Cameron or his supporters obviously!

Posted By: chriskay Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 11:26am
Why bring politics into it? It's clearly a system problem; the system is there whatever party is in government. Either the form wasn't filled in, or it was, and then the system lost it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 11:32am
£238 a week on the dole??? No wonder people can't be bothered working, wtf?

Is that how much you get on the dole?
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 12:03pm
£238 a week is a very large amount of money to receive! My husband is registered as unable to work due to mental health problems amongst various other health issues. We have 2 young children and I am unable to work due to caring for him and we don't even receive the £150 a week that this woman is grumbling about!

I also know my husband's NINO off by heart and rely heavily on the support we receive but that isn't any justifcation to not be very grateful for the help we do get.

And let's not forget that on that high of a rate of benefits, housing benefit, council tax benefit etc will probably boost their weekly income by a further £200 a week as well.

I consider myself very lucky to be able to get the help we do get because without it, we wouldn't be able to provide for our children. I can't drive and live in a very rural area - my husband's mental health would not see him do very well living back in a busy area so we have no choice but to live here.

People should really start considering the possibility of being grateful for getting help when it is needed - many more people are suffering worse incomes and they work their bums off doing 2 jobs to make ends meet frown ( I am not in any way saying this lady doesn't suffer with her illnesses before anyone suggests I am heartless btw - I am very sympathetic towards her but feel they should consider themselves lucky to not be in the position of having their monies stopped all together like many thousands of people have had over the Christmas period including housing costs etc ) xx
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 12:35pm
This is shocking but not in the way that it makes out !!!
Well said chriskay and Ste
And as britone said I'm someone who works a normal week of 57 hours a week and I sometimes find it hard but I get by and don't complain or think I should get any help !!!

If the form or letter was lost then its tough luck ain't it in my eyes why go the papers for this !!!

I was out of work once and had my dole stopped as I didn't apply for jobs as thee were none available that I met such as didn't have driving liecence but had to live with that till the decision was understood

And then we have all them pissheads and smack heads draining the system too really bugs me

Sorry rant over now back to work earn another penny or two
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 12:37pm
There are folks who now believe that a benefit is a right to which they are entitled, it is not it has to be earned in the same way respect has to be and until they start believing that we will never turn the corner.
Posted By: granny Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 1:07pm
I found this and have read the housing benefit (LHA) figures three times. It's still not clear in my head, as the figures seem vast amounts if they are weekly.
If this is correct, no wonder rents continuously increase. The landlords and agents, continue to make a packet out of the tax payer! Can't people see that? Same as all the tax credits. The employed people paying their tax are paying to keep the companies alive. The companies still make the same profits and have to give so much back in wages...therefore you have people earning megga bucks..indirectly paid for by the humble little tax payer. I think we have all had enough now. I'm tired of hearing about the moaning from out of works/benefits scroungers. They seem to think they are entitled to what others struggle to achieve.

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/benefits-calculator/
Posted By: saltytom Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 1:08pm
This post is by the poster of "Do'es charity begin at home" which attracted a similar response,from wiki readers.
Your posts would seem to be following a trend, many people have similar problems with govenment departments but do not resort to media publicity.
Posted By: granny Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 1:13pm
Originally Posted by saltytom
This post is by the poster of "Do'es charity begin at home" which attracted a similar response,from wiki readers.
Your posts would seem to be following a trend, many people have similar problems with govenment departments but do not resort to media publicity.

Yes saltytom...I think this one wears many hats, if you know what I mean !!

Have you seen the DIY post by the same?
Posted By: turnip Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 1:22pm
The law of post says that it is not classed as being the responsibility of the recipient until it has been received. If the sender can't prove that the letter got there e.g. Signed for then they don't have a leg to stand on. But on another note, the people who expect benefits are the reason this country has gone to sh*t. People expect something for nothing and it peeves me off.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 1:24pm
Those LHA figures can't be weekly!!! In Norfolf ( Breacklands to be precise ) the weekly LHA for a 3 bedroom is £128 - this works out over the 52 weks divided by the 12 months at just over £500 per month for a 3 bed property.

This is only given is you have children of opposite sexes with one being over the age of 10 though. Under 10 they can legally share a room so 2 bed rate would be given which over the course of the year divided by months is £460 per month laugh

( I do beggar anyone to find a house in Brecklands for under £500 a month for 2 bed though most 2 beds in the area are now through agencies at around £695 per month so you have to pay the shortfall yourself. Thankfully, we found a private landlord lol ) xxx
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:06pm
Serious question. If you are bedbound and the carer can't go anywhere because they have to look after you then how much money do you actually require to fulfill your needs? Having lived on a lot less while working I just can't get my head round the figures. Any enlightenment welcomed.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:10pm
Good question, BandyCoot.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:17pm
That is what I wondered also Bandy. My husband is lucky enough to be able to move around and can still drive but I have to go everywhere with him due to his mental health problems - it is quite complicated in his case.

Were he unable to go out at all, my living costs would actually increase ten fold as I would have to rely on taxi's everywhere because we have no public transport within 18 miles of our village here.

I can't afford to sit my driving test despite being able to drive already and won't ask for further help to enable me to do so because, as of now, it isn't a major priority in our household and I know that if I was entitled to the help anyway, it could be better used for someone else.

My husband has just been informed that he is entitled to low rate DLA and myself to carer's allowance neither of which we choose to claim. i don't want to be paid to care for the man I love - I vowed to care for him in sickness and in health regardless of whether a payment was received! He won't claim for DLA as a matter of pride in some respects but also because we just about manage to get by - the money would be an excess that we aren't desperate for to live on day to day so again, would be better served going to people who genuinely need it ( although how many heroin addicts will benefit from our not claiming it I don't know! ) xx

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:23pm
I admire your fortitude britt but you really should claim what you are entitled to, you must have worked and paid into the system some time in the past but circumstances have overtaken you. Nobody has a beef against those who are genuinely stuck up the creek, it's those who won't when they are able that get peoples' backs up.
I lived rural myself for quite a long time which is why I moved back to Birkenhead when I was in a position to do so. The country is alright for cows, sheep and yokels but it's no good for city people.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:27pm
lol Bandy I adore being in the country - the kids do better for it and despite the lack of transport and shops, it is wonderfully peaceful and the air is amazing hehe

I worked before I had my children, worked alongside my husband after having my children and my husband has worked a minimum of 1 job since thhe day he left school - sometimes 2 or 3 jobs at a time!

We manage on what we receive being honest - okay, we will never have theluxuries that some people afford on benefits but we have each other and our children s can't ask for more really. the only difficult thing right now is the heating - we use heating oil which is a pain in the bum but there is no gas until you get about 8 or 9 miles outside the village haha xxx
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:33pm
If moving away did anything good it was that my kids weren't part of the scally thing round here but I am a Birkenhead born and bred bloke and I'm loving it. Buses, trains, shops, places of entertainment.......luvverly! We still work now under the maxim that if we haven't got the brass we do without it. We aint got much but we don't owe owt either so we're relatively better off than those with fur coats and no knickers.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:41pm
Best way to be IMO laugh I enjoy the kids being relaxed here, no gangs to speak of, well no real kids of any type lol

I d occasionally miss some stuff but I have a couple of good friends here who are couples so occasionally have a girly night at the bingo while my hubby watches films with their hubby and the kids laugh

Am happy with my lot right now - still have debt from when my hubby first got problems but we are paying it little by little and managing to be happy which no money could buy xxx
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:45pm
Good on yer britt. We'll leave it there then and let it get back to the original topic before we get told off. Have a good 2013.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 2:48pm
heheh you too hun xxx
Posted By: rover644 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 3:46pm
See there is not much sympathy for this lady, Despite being disabled and having 10 serious medical conditions. People only seemed concerned with how much they are paid by the dwp. I for one hope this these people get their plight sorted and receive all the help they need and indeed as part of the COMMUNITY (anyone remember this word) are entitled to.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 5:15pm
Bit it isn't about sympathy Rover nor indeed the community pitying them because they only have £150 a week to live on on top of their housing and council tax benefits.

If it is an administrative error, they will receive back pay for the period of their benefits being lower than their normal rate - nothing that thousands of other people don't have to go through also but don't go to the papers about xx
Posted By: granny Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 6:34pm
I think we all understand their plight but got slightly side tracked.

Could it be that as he has become her carer, either part or full amount of payment is deducted from her benefit and not an additional benefit ontop of what she/they already receive? I am sure that is how it works, so it may have something to do with it.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 7:25pm
So a letter got lost in the post and they got penalised, harsh but what's got to do with the government.

Everyone who's had dealings with gov agencies know that you've got to check that they're doing their job corectly but I would of thought that the CAB would be a better place to go rather than the Echo. However the Echo does have a certain political affiliation so this couple may of been encouraged to share their story after a tip-off.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shocking! - 2nd Jan 2013 10:10pm
Yes, it was the blaming of the government which annoyed me. Oh and we still don't know whether the original poster has any connection with the couple in question or is simply stirring it. I suspect the latter.
Posted By: Lacylee Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 6:53am
It's a government issue because it's the government who have decided that to sort out their debts they can penalise the disabled and make them pay!

Personally I think it's outrageous that families like this one are being targeted to help sort out the governments mess!

Apparently the bloke in the article had worked for more than 40 years! paying tax! His wife is obviously seriously sick and they also have a disabled Child to care for! Yet the government thought they were a good target?

(I do know of the family in question) I'm also very sick myself and have a disabled Child! I find it nauseating to see what is happening to the people of our country! Yes sure there are those who are screwing the system, there always will be! but why should the disabled be the ones to be penalised like that?

If you read the news at all you will understand what I'm talking about with the problems this gov are causing? If you don't, then I understand your naivety (no offense intended!)

Personally, I hope this family, and the thousands like them, win their cases and have their benefits re-instated (I don't feel the 'amounts' they are paid are relevant?) but if they've 'lost' money unnecessarily? then it should be repaid! imo!

Posted By: Lacylee Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 7:12am
I'll enlighten you; You are working a 60hr week and getting paid a decent wage. Your wife stays home to look after your disabled Son. Your wife becomes sick and you have to give up your job! You now find yourself caring for your disabled wife and disabled Child 24/7 with no income! There are still bills to pay, food to buy and everything else one has to pay for!

Question: What do you do??

I think you would claim benefits and not care how much you get! as long as it's enough and not too little? After-all, you've worked your whole life and paid your taxes!

I'm not talking about people who 'can' work but don't! I'm talking about people who literally CANT!

I think our country should care more about these people and there are a lot of them! It's so sad!
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 9:19am
Don't you think you who are on the dole get enough help as it is, but then again when you think the world owes you somthink you except more, I mean come on you get everythink payed for and your still moning. them that's working get fook all' you should thank your self that you have a government like we have and not like some parts of the world. No wonder kids of today want get of there arse if the ones they look up to think there owed the world how about giving somethink back. mad
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 11:43am
withthat
Finally we have a government which is attempting to stop abuse of the welfare system. The system will get it wrong from time to time, what's important is that mistakes should be rectified. One thing which annoys me is when I see so many benefit claimants smoking; aren't fags about £6 a pack nowadays? I don't see why taxpayers should fund that.
Quote Lacylee "then I understand your naivety (no offense intended!)". Adding the rider "no offence intended" does nothing to remove the offence.
Posted By: granny Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 12:23pm
Lacylee, you have come on here as a 'new member' (???) with both barrels loaded. You have posted articles which are attempting to get the attention of people. Unfortunately you have pressed the wrong buttons this time and managed to bring in bad feeling . Had you wanted to help your so called friends (who are probably already Wiki members) you should have shut up!

I've never heard such rubbish on your post of DIY, https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/754116/DIY.html#Post754116
why bring that to the forum. Go to the official registered 'help websites.'
How is it that so many individuals/families nationwide,are happy with their disability benefits. There aren't so many who jump up and down waving their own little flag overall. More, generally speaking from the North West.

"quote I find it nauseating to see what is happening to the people of our country! unquote"

Do you now?
Go try living in India, Pakistan, Greece, Italy, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Turkey, Lebanon, etc .etc. etc. many a disabled person in those countries, it could be a lot worse.

Your posts just do not have any genuine feel about them, even down to the way in which you compose them.Sorry!! I don't even think you are a woman, although you have rried to make us think you are.

One more thing, if so much is truly so bad for you, you are obviously very good with computer skills, spelling, you could probably answer a phone and are equipped with other admin skills. Get a job working from home....that might help and take your mind else where!
Posted By: granny Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 12:42pm
Originally Posted by brittone05
lol Bandy I adore being in the country - the kids do better for it and despite the lack of transport and shops, it is wonderfully peaceful and the air is amazing hehe

I worked before I had my children, worked alongside my husband after having my children and my husband has worked a minimum of 1 job since thhe day he left school - sometimes 2 or 3 jobs at a time!

We manage on what we receive being honest - okay, we will never have theluxuries that some people afford on benefits but we have each other and our children s can't ask for more really. the only difficult thing right now is the heating - we use heating oil which is a pain in the bum but there is no gas until you get about 8 or 9 miles outside the village haha xxx

And another fly in the ointment. I thought you lived just outside Thetford, in Norfolk for the last couple of years, Brittone05 ???

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...elander_stolen_Woodchurc.html#Post745723
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 1:04pm
LAcey I struggle to see how a couple cannot manage to get buy on an average total payment of £600 a month income support, £120 a month council tax benefit and £550 a month housing benefit - that is a rough total of £1200 ish per month, more than what some working people receive to care for their families.

My husband and myself, as I previously stated receive less than that in benefits and he is unable to work plus we have 2 children under the age of 11. We manage to keep our heads above water just fine.

Perhaps it is more now that people receiving benefits live to the penny that they receive and when their payments are reduced, they find they want to live beyond their means?

I know people on benefits who have new cars, 60" 3D tv's, all the mod cons in their home, drapd with gold jewellery and clothed in designer gear. That isn't what benefits are designed for - they are meant to help you live within the basic means which is surely what these people are getting.

Had her husband still been in full time employment and had to take a paycut, would they have gone ot the press? I don't think so yet thousands of workers are seeing pay cuts, hours being cut and jobs being changed which, ulitmately sees them more than £50 a week down on the income front.

I have genuine sympathy for people who are unable to work and rely on the state for their money - a situation my husband never dreamed he would be in after owning his own business for over 15 years but regardless of the situation why you end up on benefits, surely it is more gracious to be thankful for the help than to grumble constantly that you can't get by on tax free money that working families in many cases would struggle to bring in each month x
Posted By: turnip Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 1:33pm
When I was in morocco we raised money for an orphanage over there and for a disabled charity. Without that charity the disabled children in morrocco are left to die with no one looking after them. Many of the families see it as bad to have a disabled child and so just leave them to look after themselves on the street. Count yourself lucky you have a goverment who support you as much as they do. I'm sure if you really wanted to you could cut down on a few things if things are really that tough.

So many people claim they can't afford food or clothes and yet are paying money to sky for their tv's or expensive mobile phone contracts. I work part time as I'm in uni but when its the holidays I do full time hours. On a full time week I earn around £300 of which I have to pay for my fuel, insurance, tax, and other car things because I need my car to work. This leaves me with about 200 a week. Then take out my phone contract and other bills I need to pay I have about 150 left. I'm looking to move out in the next couple of months as I'm getting married, which also takes money out of my weekly wage. Yet I've done the figures and I can afford to buy a house that we're looking at. So how you struggle to live on more than I earn when I work full time is beyond me.
Posted By: rover644 Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 2:02pm
I was on the dole for about 5 months in 2001, It was awful, I had nothing and could not afford anything apart from the few basics people who live in a country like this should have. God only knows how people on benefits get by today with cost of living going up on an almost weekly basis. Ok so it may seem they have everything that a lot of us work for but believe me they do not. If they have new TV etc they are on hp from a legal loan shark charging them stupid prices and high apr. Same with all the other stuff people seem to think people on benefits can just go and buy. Also any benefit payed by the dwp goes back into the economy almost straight away, The benefit system is there to pay for the family down the street with no working adults, The guy on the bench with his can of cider and indeed the sick and old. Its called community and is one of the things that remains great about our country.
Posted By: turnip Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 2:16pm
So instead of buying food and clothes for their children they pay high monthly repayments for that nice tv?

My dad was made redundant and has been on the dole on and off since then and he hates it so I know what its like. People on benefits get council tax benefit, free health care, and money into their accounts every week. I recently had to pay £204 for work on my teeth that I wouldve got for free if I was on benefits. I think most people feel that the system is unfair as it is more beneficial to be on the dole than to work.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Shocking! - 3rd Jan 2013 4:19pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
£238 a week on the dole??? No wonder people can't be bothered working, wtf?

Is that how much you get on the dole?

I wish, I got about £65 a week when I was out of work in Feb, People make out you get loads, well you don't.

They also told my friend I worked with she could be a Pizza Lady going round to deliver pizza's at 11.30pm at night as a 40 something year old Woman.
Posted By: Lacylee Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 6:15am
Originally Posted by rover644
I was on the dole for about 5 months in 2001, It was awful, I had nothing and could not afford anything apart from the few basics people who live in a country like this should have. God only knows how people on benefits get by today with cost of living going up on an almost weekly basis. Ok so it may seem they have everything that a lot of us work for but believe me they do not. If they have new TV etc they are on hp from a legal loan shark charging them stupid prices and high apr. Same with all the other stuff people seem to think people on benefits can just go and buy. Also any benefit payed by the dwp goes back into the economy almost straight away, The benefit system is there to pay for the family down the street with no working adults, The guy on the bench with his can of cider and indeed the sick and old. Its called community and is one of the things that remains great about our country.

Well said Rover! I don't get why people think people on benefits have it all? It is the hardest thing in the world trying to juggle the small amount of money that has to pay for everything!

On Granada reports before Christmas they showed some VT's of Mums across the country who go without food to feed their Children! How can that be acceptable? No-one should have to go without food!

The benefits are getting lower yet prices are soaring! It's all wrong! I don't understand how some of you people can't see that? I don't know where you get the ideas that benefit claimants somehow are 'living the life'? and don't deserve support from the community?

How do you expect people to live and cope? trying to raise Children on a pittance? They should all be grateful they're British? Yeah, that's going to fill their bellies isn't it!

And to the poster who criticized my even being here; I came here to chat to my community. That is what this forum is for after-all grin

Posted By: Lacylee Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 6:23am
Originally Posted by turnip
When I was in morocco we raised money for an orphanage over there and for a disabled charity. Without that charity the disabled children in morrocco are left to die with no one looking after them. Many of the families see it as bad to have a disabled child and so just leave them to look after themselves on the street. Count yourself lucky you have a goverment who support you as much as they do. I'm sure if you really wanted to you could cut down on a few things if things are really that tough.

So many people claim they can't afford food or clothes and yet are paying money to sky for their tv's or expensive mobile phone contracts. I work part time as I'm in uni but when its the holidays I do full time hours. On a full time week I earn around £300 of which I have to pay for my fuel, insurance, tax, and other car things because I need my car to work. This leaves me with about 200 a week. Then take out my phone contract and other bills I need to pay I have about 150 left. I'm looking to move out in the next couple of months as I'm getting married, which also takes money out of my weekly wage. Yet I've done the figures and I can afford to buy a house that we're looking at. So how you struggle to live on more than I earn when I work full time is beyond me.

You have just spent £150 per week on paying your bills! A family of 3 are expected to live on exactly that, so, once they've paid their bills, what do they have left for 'food and clothes etc'? Nothing! But that's Ok, they should be 'grateful'! Hey?
Posted By: Lacylee Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 6:48am
Originally Posted by granny
Lacylee, you have come on here as a 'new member' (???) with both barrels loaded. You have posted articles which are attempting to get the attention of people. (Yes, obviously! I didn't intend to sit here talking to myself!)Unfortunately you have pressed the wrong buttons this time and managed to bring in bad feeling . (really? how?) Had you wanted to help your so called friends (who are probably already Wiki members) you should have shut up! (WHY?)

I've never heard such rubbish on your post of DIY, https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/754116/DIY.html#Post754116
why bring that to the forum. Go to the official registered 'help websites.' (What rubbish? I'm afraid of needles! This is a forum, I wanted to talk about it!)(God you are so weird!)
How is it that so many individuals/families nationwide,are happy with their disability benefits. There aren't so many who jump up and down waving their own little flag overall. More, generally speaking from the North West. (I don't know what you're talking about but, well done)

"quote I find it nauseating to see what is happening to the people of our country! unquote"

Do you now? (Yes, I do)
Go try living in India, Pakistan, Greece, Italy, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Turkey, Lebanon, etc .etc. etc. many a disabled person in those countries, it could be a lot worse. (You go live there! I live here!)

Your posts just do not have any genuine feel about them, even down to the way in which you compose them.Sorry!! I don't even think you are a woman, (! raftl ) although you have rried to make us think you are. (How have I done that then?)

One more thing, if so much is truly so bad for you, you are obviously very good with computer skills, spelling, you could probably answer a phone and are equipped with other admin skills. Get a job working from home....that might help and take your mind else where!
(I'm an author, Thanks for the compliments though) grin

Ah good. Interview over! tired
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 7:24am
Utter crap you chat.
Posted By: Lacylee Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 7:38am
Originally Posted by beehive
Utter crap you chat.

?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 8:25am
It unfortunate but usual that many who have contributed on this thread are taken in by the propaganda that is circulated and post from a position of envy or lacking compassion.

The benefits in this country are calculated by government, civil service and by independents. The figures reached are set to give the recipients a decent standard of life, not have them living in workhouse conditions. Once they receive the amount of their entitlement it is not up to us to means test anyone and tell them what they can and can't have or do with that money. It may appear sensible to give up certain items to make ends meet but are we going to tell the elderly to live in one room and close down the rest of the house because they struggle with fuel bills.

If someone is in paid employment and works x amount of hours for x amount of pay and finds themselves on less money than a like for like on benefits, that should tell them they are being undervalued for their services and their wages are to low.

Suggesting the disabled and recipients of benefits are lucky they don't live in Asia etc is a Dickensian attitude we are thankfully rid of, though, God only knows there are plenty who would be delighted to return to that era.

Posted By: rossie Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 8:34am
well said bert1
Posted By: RedLance Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 8:41am
Originally Posted by bert1
It unfortunate but usual that many who have contributed on this thread are taken in by the propaganda that is circulated and post from a position of envy or lacking compassion.

The benefits in this country are calculated by government, civil service and by independents. The figures reached are set to give the recipients a decent standard of life, not have them living in workhouse conditions. Once they receive the amount of their entitlement it is not up to us to means test anyone and tell them what they can and can't have or do with that money. It may appear sensible to give up certain items to make ends meet but are we going to tell the elderly to live in one room and close down the rest of the house because they struggle with fuel bills.

If someone is in paid employment and works x amount of hours for x amount of pay and finds themselves on less money than a like for like on benefits, that should tell them they are being undervalued for their services and their wages are to low.

Suggesting the disabled and recipients of benefits are lucky they don't live in Asia etc is a Dickensian attitude we are thankfully rid of, though, God only knows there are plenty who would be delighted to return to that era.

withthat

well said Bert
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 9:47am
Originally Posted by Lacylee
It's a government issue because it's the government who have decided that to sort out their debts they can penalise the disabled and make them pay!

Perhaps you'd rather have a government that goes round every single person and makes sure that they are all given 1-1 support on the benefits they're entitled to and to make sure they fill in the forms?

This really is a non-story. Their form was lost so they didn't get the benefits they need / deserve. It will all be sorted eventually and they'll get their money back dated.

Perhaps the abuse should be hurled at Royal Mail for losing the form or the letter indicating the benefits would be cut?

Crap like this happens every day, its your responsibility to make sure you have a bit put aside for rainy days and problems like this which turn up, not go running to the papers. This part of the article:

A spokesman for the Department of Work and Pensions said the couple would need to return to their local Jobcentre and explain the situation.

makes me wonder if they even bothered to go to the authorities in the first place?

Last year I got a Self Assessment bill for over £1500 (I'm on PAYE and have never done any kind of work which would require me to do SA). It turned out the Inland Revenue had got my details mixed up with someone else. I didn't go running to the papers about it. Perhaps I should have?
Posted By: turnip Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 11:57am

You have just spent £150 per week on paying your bills! A family of 3 are expected to live on exactly that, so, once they've paid their bills, what do they have left for 'food and clothes etc'? Nothing! But that's Ok, they should be 'grateful'! Hey?

£150 a week that includes the cost of my car, which takes up at least 2/3rds of that amount. And I need my car for working. So if I wasn't working I'd have at least £100 a week less going out. Also if I was on benefits I could apply for council housing, council tax benefit and such like. So I could practically live for the cost of some food and a few quid in the meters now and then.
Posted By: turnip Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 12:08pm
And I'd like to point out that I don't have an issue with eople receiving benefits. I fully support a system in which those who need help get that help. What I am saying is that those benefits should not allow the person receiving them to get luxuries such as tv's and things like that as I don't see why taxpayers should be footing the bill for that, whether its up front or in high interest monthly instalments.

Posted By: Wench Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 3:12pm
People on benefits get council tax benefit, free health care, and money into their accounts every week. I recently had to pay £204 for work on my teeth that I wouldve got for free if I was on benefits. I think most people feel that the system is unfair as it is more beneficial to be on the dole than to work.

Just wanted to clarify that not everyone on benefits gets free dental care. Also, if you work and earn less than £16,000 you can get help with dental costs but you have to apply for it.

Also, if you are single, you can get a 25% discount on your council tax - which if you wanted to be pedantic, could be classed as "council tax benefit" as it has to be clawed back from somewhere.

I notice that nobody gets antsy over the amount that the MP's can claim per day for things like food, the alcohol bill for the HoC etc. Their "benefits" cost the tax payer a lot more than the benefits system.

Annoys me when people assume that everyone on benefits gets everything for free when it's not the case!
Posted By: turnip Re: Shocking! - 4th Jan 2013 3:20pm
I earn much less than 16k and applied for the assistance and they sent me a certificate for help with health care costs. It stated the on the nhs the maximum I will pay per dental treatment was £254.20. However the highest band of treatment for the nhs is currently £204. So is is impossible to go over the 204 per treatment.
Posted By: granny Re: Shocking! - 5th Jan 2013 1:21pm
Originally Posted by bert1

It's all very well thinking you might be undervalued but it's not necessarily possible to get any change.
Minimum wage through agencies supplying support workers for people with disabilities. They need to have a car in most cases but no petrol allowance given. Can be asked to travel as far as Chester or Liverpool(Maghull in one instance) 14 hour shifts, for a repeat performance the next 2/3 days.and no tunnel money.Some weeks they don't get any hours hardly and they do this because they want to 'make a difference' to those people with diasabilities who have been disposed of, into a home! Impossible for these people to even get a deposit together to rent a property. They will overall be bringing home a lot less than £150 per week with no assistance. Yes, and they live with their parents, so their parents support them, not the state. Men in their 30's living with parents, is not good and all because they chose to do 'support work'.You can probably work out how old their parents might be too.
Dickensian attitude you mention is in an attempt to make some understand that we are a developed nation and have a system in place to help those who are most needy in our society, without such a system they would have a lot more to suffer. It is in my lifetime that babies, who were born with disabilities in this country, were suffocated at birth, if the parents gave consent. There obviously wasn't too much compassion then.
I don't beleive anyone is saying that genuine cases are not understood but we don't need to have it rammed down our throats at every available opportunity.What happened to the wonderful positive attitude the paralympics gave us this summer? Do we really feel we have to treat people on a different level if they have disabilities? I would have thought to treat them as equals would be far more acceptable.
Everybody is feeling the pinch, and for someone to say that prices are going up, is apparent to everyone.
What's more, I think blaming the government remark is rediculous, and the Liverpool Echo reporter should understand what he is actually writing, and it should be properly edited, before going to press.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Shocking! - 5th Jan 2013 6:33pm
I do agree with Granny,but a big chunk of paralymic glory went out of the window with your crying man because he did not get a knighthood, ok off topic ish
Posted By: Lacylee Re: Shocking! - 6th Jan 2013 5:59am
The government control the benefit system and it's the government who have decided to strip benefits from the most vulnerable members or our society! I don't see how you cannot 'blame the government' when they're the people doing it?
Posted By: granny Re: Shocking! - 6th Jan 2013 8:37am
lamethrower
Posted By: Salmon Re: Shocking! - 6th Jan 2013 9:10am
I have just noticed this thread and I have to admit that I am clearly missing something.Can somebody please tell me which benefits are being stripped from the most vulnerable members of our society? The benefits cap will be set at £500 per week for couples and lone parents and at £350 per week for single adults.Surely anybody can manage to live pretty well on that tax free amount plus The cap will not be applied for 39 weeks to those who have been in work continiously for the previous 12 months and who lose their job through no fault of their own. The other 2 benefits which I am aware of which are being changed are the child benefit cut to those families where one of the parents is earning over £50,000 and the "bedroom tax". In the case of the former it seems totally sane to revisit a benefit which is paid to high earners and surely £50,000 must be considered to be high or at least pretty close to high. In the case of the "bedroom tax" there does appear to be some justification for revisiting this I do think,though that it ought to be tempered with common sense and not applied without really serious consideration for the impact it will have on families.As it does not apply to pensioners I am not certain that the argument that many people have lived in the same house for most of their lives is totally justified.In the case of non pensioners then it seems sensible to consider each case on it's merits and if alternative,suitable and mutually agreed accommodation is available then perhaps it makes sense for people to move and leave the bigger places for those who really need them.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Shocking! - 6th Jan 2013 11:09am
The government control the benefit system and it's the government who have decided to strip benefits from the most vulnerable members or our society! I don't see how you cannot 'blame the government' when they're the people doing it?

That is a completely different argument from the one you started this thread with.
Posted By: taylor4898 Re: Shocking! - 6th Jan 2013 4:05pm
No one is being stripped of benefits, just all the scammers can't fake being unable to work anymore!

The cuts are needed..too many people sitting on their @rses expecting a free ride.

Posted By: raymondo Re: Shocking! - 6th Jan 2013 5:24pm
the goverment is an arse, they were going to tax the rich on there propertys but when they said" fair enough but you wont be holding any more partys here" the goverment though SHIT and had the lower class pants down instead, while were getting shafted there getting food alowance and stuf ON TOP OF A REDICULASLY HIGH WAGE!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral