Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:16pm
Hi, noticed a coffuffle on Oakdale rd today so pulled over to see what the boggle was.
It appeared to be people protesting the tunnel tax charges.
Took a couple of pics.

Are you here?

smile

Attached picture t1 (1).JPG
Attached picture t1 (2).JPG
Attached picture t1 (3).JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:20pm
That reminds me, I need £1.50 tomorrow! The barstard!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:22pm
Was that it, just eight people?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:24pm
omg It`s going up to £1:50?

No wonder their protesting, thats a pretty steep jump from £1:20.

We use fast tags, i know they are slightly cheaper but i wonder if the increase effects those too?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:24pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate

Indeed, must have made a massive difference...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:28pm
Originally Posted by Alex85
Originally Posted by Bezzymate

Indeed, must have made a massive difference...

They must have just started as they were handing out flyers with a website address.
Jase has the link, i left the flyers with him.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:29pm
Fair play to them, they're trying.

I need to pay whatever it costs otherwise I can't get to work, and I need my car in work.

It was meant to be free by now wasn't it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:32pm
Originally Posted by Alex85
Fair play to them, they're trying.

I need to pay whatever it costs otherwise I can't get to work, and I need my car in work.

It was meant to be free by now wasn't it.

It was supposed to be free but they are saying that what they are still paying are the interest charges if i remember correctly?

Personaly i don`t think they will ever be free.
Posted By: bushnut Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:39pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
omg It`s going up to £1:50?

No wonder their protesting, thats a pretty steep jump from £1:20.

We use fast tags, i know they are slightly cheaper but i wonder if the increase effects those too?

Not sure when you last used the tunnel... it's been £1.40 for a long time. The jump is 10p for cars, up to £1.50.

Yes, fast tags are affected but still remain the cheapest way of using the tunnels.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:44pm
lol, oh well, my boss pays via fast tags so i didn`t notice it was £1:40 laugh
it`s not very fair on those that have to use it everyday though!
Maybe there should be some kind of discount scheme for those that do? think
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:53pm
Fast Tag saves you 20p a trip now, might be time to start using it again.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 5:54pm
I claim it on expenses whenever I can, but even so, I'm def going to be looking at buying a house on the dark side.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 6:41pm
lol, oh well, my boss pays via fast tags so i didn`t notice it was £1:40 laugh
it`s not very fair on those that have to use it everyday though!
Maybe there should be some kind of discount scheme for those that do? think

Fast tag is 1.20, it's going up to 1.30 tomorrow.
I think it's typical - councillors voting on the decision, when some councillors are working for Merseytunnel itself? What a joke.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 7:47pm

They must have just started as they were handing out flyers with a website address.
Jase has the link, i left the flyers with him.

Just scanned. it wink

[Linked Image]

www.tunnelusers.org.uk
Its free on a bike smile fuckers
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 8:10pm
Well done, what about us normal people?
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 10:54pm
They gotta pay for those new Discoverys they bought for the Tunnel police. They needed new vehicles to move from one end of the tunnel to the other to move cones about, W@nkers.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 3rd Apr 2011 11:27pm
I always did wonder why they need £50k motors to cover a smooth 2mile road???
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 4th Apr 2011 8:05am
I broke down in the tunnel on a saturday last year. Tunnel was on a contraflow and I was holding up alllll the traffic heading into Wallasey.
The clutch linkage snapped going up the hill and I couldn't get it going then flooded the engine and had to wait... anyway help didn't come so I tried again and just managed to kangaroo it into life then rocked out the tunnel in first gear...
It was the ultimate fail and I couldn't believe help didn't arrive... anyway I'm glad it didn't because I wouldn't have been happy paying a million pound to be pulled to the tunnel exit then abandoned...
Fortunately because of the fast tag I managed to get through the barrier without stopping and stalling!
Tunnel prices are expensive but it's cheaper and more convienient than driving right round!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 4th Apr 2011 8:15am
Unfortunately, there is valid arguments on both sides on the equation, if they made the tunnels free (which they should be), the increase in traffic would be horrendous etc...

Having said that, I think the toll should be a maximum of £1.00... but what can ya do, they have been campaigning and protesting against the toll for years, and nothings ever happened, except price increases, so its a pretty futile attempt tbh. Ya may as well just pay it, or alternatively use a train lol (we are lucky to have such a good, regular train service in all honesty). After the price of parking Liverpool, its a false economy anyway.

I can't understand what they manage to spend all the money on, doesn't the local councils on each side take a share each of the revenue (with Liverpool getting far more), or something along that lines? I remember when Merseytram was being built, they were going to fund it with Wirral's share of the tunnel money, and Wirral Council was up in arms about it.
im going to build ramps to both sides of the river and charge 20p for people to use them driving land rovers with paddly type tyres on the water like on top gear
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 6th Apr 2011 12:37pm

Thirteen people turn up to protest tunnel tolls increase

ONLY 13 people turned up to protest an increase in tunnel tolls, leaving organisers warning any opposition to further increases may be viewed as “a flash in the pan”.

Prices to travel under the Mersey in a car jumped by 10p each way on Sunday but only SEVEN people stayed throughout a demonstration against the rise, called by Mersey Tunnel Users Association (MTUA).

MTUA’s John McGoldrick said he was “disappointed” by the low turnout, and warned: “We fear it will make it more likely there may be another increase, particularly if nothing happens over the next 12 months.”

But Sefton councillor Mark Dowd, who cast the deciding vote sanctioning the increase as part of his role with Merseytravel, told the News it makes little difference how many protesters turn up.
Cllr Dowd said: “When you get to the stage when yours is the casting vote to put something up, nobody takes any pleasure in it.

“And it’s not a case of whether there are 10 or five or 500 people protesting, it’s the circumstances of the day.

“The tolls hadn’t gone up for three years and in 1992, they were £1.

“So it’s gone up to £1.30 and now £1.50 - I wish everything else would go up by just 30p or 50p.”

MTUA suggests the low turnout could be explained by the protest falling on Mother’s Day.

And now John McGoldrick wants to encourage those who use the tunnels to write to local politicians urging restraint when considering any future rise.

He said: “The politicians at Merseytravel may well be thinking the protest was just a flash in the pan and nobody is going to do anything, so they can put the tolls up again and this time go for the maximum amount.”

Cllr Dowd says Merseytravel is bound by law to consider the cost every year, but he “doesn’t envisage any further increases for quite a while”.

Cllr Dowd added: “We’ve now got to the stage where thousands of people are being made redundant, so when you think about a 10p rise it puts it in perspective.

“With the greatest respect to MTUA, and they’re entitled to their feelings, we’ve got to look at the bigger picture here.”

THE WIRRAL NEWS
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 6th Apr 2011 1:40pm
Originally Posted by _jase_
Thirteen people turn up to protest tunnel tolls increase

Does that include the wikimembers taking photos?
Posted By: paulph25 Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 6th Apr 2011 3:18pm
and the 10 police?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 6th Apr 2011 3:24pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Unfortunately, there is valid arguments on both sides on the equation, if they made the tunnels free (which they should be), the increase in traffic would be horrendous etc...

Utter twaddle bud, although it may seem that way its not true. Yes you would have a few more people making the trip to l/pool as its better than b'head to shop and maybe a few more different reasons but everyone who makes the trip to l/pool uses the tunnel rather than go around, so there would be absolutly no change to the ammount of traffic.

What your saying is this

"oh the tunnel is free, lets all make a journey through it"

I dont know of anyone who has to go to liverpool that goes the long way around, they just pay the fee and hit the tunnel. Who would all of these people be that bump up the traffic?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel protestors, Oakdale Rd Wallasey - 6th Apr 2011 4:04pm
withthat
© Wirral-Wikiwirral