Forums
Posted By: AX_125 Exhaust Vibration noise. - 2nd May 2006 4:02pm
Hi,

I bought a new exhaust about 1 year ago from Auto safe, from the cat back.

Recently it has started making a rattling kind of noise, like a stone stuck inside. It only ever does it at a certain RPM for less than a second. It only ever does it when driving and never when free revving the engine.

I have noticed no excessive smells from my cat so hopefully it isn't that. I don't know if the exhaust could have some loose metal covering?
Posted By: Garry_St Re: Exhaust Vibration noise. - 2nd May 2006 5:46pm
Ill hazard a guess that it’s the CAT the ceramics has broken down and that’s the noise you can hear sometime not noticeably at low revs if am wrong not harm done.
Posted By: Mark Re: Exhaust Vibration noise. - 2nd May 2006 6:28pm
As above.

Sounds like the honeycombe has collapsed or in the beginnings of it.

Try this there is a picture of the cat inside.

Click Me

And any pieces broken off could have travelled
towards the baffles.
Which would i think prevent any forgin objects
actually coming out the back of the exhaust.

You didnt say where the sound is coming from?
As there are heat sheilds in places.
Posted By: Scooby Re: Exhaust Vibration noise. - 2nd May 2006 8:31pm
It sounds like either the cat honeycombe collapsed or a weld broken of a heatshield.

The heatshield welds are prone to break on your model of car so i would tend to go for that.

If you want me to have a butchers, no problems matey.... happy
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Exhaust Vibration noise. - 3rd May 2006 8:59am
It sounds like a shield, like really thin metal vibrating on the exhaust.

It is just a pain that you can't hear it when the car is stationery and free revving.

I might try and lend my mates jack and have a look, see if there is anything obvious.

Also, when pressing my clutch it tends to make a grinding noice (not in the engine, but under the car) It only ever does it when the car is cold.

It developed this noise a few months after i bought the car, which is nearly 2 years ago.

I have heard it similar noise on my neighbours identical civic and a couple of accords in the past, and was wondering if it might be something i should worry about?
Posted By: Mark Re: Exhaust Vibration noise. - 3rd May 2006 11:06am
Probably Corrosion + Vibration
has caused the weld / bracket to give way.

Depends where the shield is if its going to be somthing to worry about?

Normally, its just irritating.

But have it checked like you say.
Best to be safe than sorry smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Exhaust Vibration noise. - 3rd May 2006 11:18am
Id guess the rattle is just a heat shield - get under the car and rip them off laugh

The Clutch noise is probably the release bearing. Again, wouldnt really worry about that either, should last until the entire clutch needs replacing smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Exhaust Vibration noise. - 6th May 2006 2:44am
^Mine was rattling on the heatshield, I removed them, and it rattled on the underbody!
Also check the lambda sensor that screws into the pipe somewhere under the engine, this rattles like a bast when it comes loose.
Depends on the release bearing, mine lasted about 300 miles, and let go with a lot of noise and smoke, the shell and inner race had shattered into about 20 pieces.
Posted By: scoop Re: Exhaust Vibration noise. - 17th May 2006 4:53pm
its prob a heatsheild mate,theyre common as hell rattles them,have u lowered the car recently. After i lowered my green'un my powerflow began to contact my rear beam and rattle like a ******* on bumps.

As for the clutch noise,im havig a similar problem myself, mine sounds like a soft "scraping" noise when any pressure is put on the clutch pedal,and there is no slip whatsoever no matter what i do with the pedal so the clutch is still fine,will adjusting the clutch get rid of the noise??
© Wirral-Wikiwirral