Forums
Posted By: MrPhil Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 8:37pm
To put it blunt I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago, early in the morning i was driving my Golf down a lane with passing points. I had been drinking the night before up until 2am. I had a head on inpact with another car due to a number of things, me going 45mph and the other driver doing 20mph.

I could not get out of the car so i climbed out of the window and checked the other driver, she said her neck hurt and she wanted an ambulance. I called them and her Husband, the police were also notified.

They Ambulance arrived and asked me what happened, they then checked the woman over and carted her off to then ambulance with help from me to get her past my car as the road was to thin to get the trolley past.

Police arrived and breath checked me due to their being a collision, it failed. I was arrested and interviewed asked what had happened etc, and was charged with Drink Driving.

Stupid thing i know and i wish now i never went out so early.
I fully regret what as happened so i would appreciate no arse comments.

What should i expect from this? Hefty Fine? 1000+? 2 year ban??

Posted By: Sanchez Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 8:43pm
haven't you only just passed your test, and i aint being funny bud, but you cant expect not to recieve any arsy comments about this, its like touching a child then not expecting to hear off the parents. It's a car forum as you well know phil.

As for punishment, i think you'll get an instant ban, and a heavy fine, im sure mr auditastic will be along soon and give you his verdick.

main thing is bud, no one was seriously hurt.

seeyu
Posted By: chiccy Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 8:47pm
if im not wrong its more and a retest for a new driver????
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 8:51pm
Feel sorry for you mate, sad thing is you probably felt alright to drive and its just a sheer coincidence that you had a collision, but due to the laws now (non alchol tollerance) they will blame it on the alcohol levels in your system from the night before frown
As for punishment they will look at your previous offences (if any) and depending on what they are they work it out from there frown
I garuntee you will get an 18 month ban and a fine but cannot give you anymore info on what else, i cant see them putting you on an alchol awareness course unless you have previous alchol related issues (drunken disordly etc).
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 8:54pm
anyone is capable of a stupid mistake and the punishment you get will make you take note, at least you didnt drive after your session while using your mobile. thinking you remorseful not just because of what happens to you. good luck
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 8:59pm
Hows the woman?

You'll get shafted for this and I dont mean in 'the big house' as you could be looking at a prison sentence.

As far as I know its a 2yr ban and a four figure fine minimum - Expect to pay high insurance from now on too
Posted By: DavidB Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 9:03pm
Sure you were okay to drive, it's just a fact there are traces of alcohol in your blood still - it's the law, but I've driven to work in the morning, thousands do. It's a soft law in my opinion.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 9:07pm
No Sanchez i've had my licence for 2 years 2 months. The woman is okish, she has whiplash.

I've been driving since i was 18 (now 27) i've had 2 bans priour to this, on in 2000 and one in 2003. None for Drink driving just totter to the 12points mark.

I'm setting myself up for 3 months nick (prefer 240hours com service but their you go)

Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 9:10pm
Originally Posted by Station
Sure you were okay to drive, it's just a fact there are traces of alcohol in your blood still - it's the law, but I've driven to work in the morning, thousands do. It's a soft law in my opinion.

The amount i had was from 11pm i had 4 cans of Carling (440mls) 2 Stella Cans (440 mls) and 2 Jd's (normal measure) i then had 4 hours sleep.

Luck of the draw if you get stopped/crash etc.
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 9:11pm
someone call auditastic. i used to ride mo-mo bike to lairds at 7.30 regularly feeling a bit dodgy, but it dont mean your incapable
Posted By: DavidB Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 9:13pm
4 hours probably explains it, I would've left a bit more time between it (at least 7 hours).
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 9:16pm
I may post pics of the car i was driving...

I have also had a Letter of the Dvla telling me that the car needs a VOSA check before the new log book can be sent out. According to them it's a Cat C.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 9:18pm
Originally Posted by Station
4 hours probably explains it, I would've left a bit more time between it (at least 7 hours).

Wish i could turn back time......
Posted By: dave_g Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:17pm
were u put on the machine in the police station?plus did u ask to see a calibration certificate for the roadside device?they should be able to provide u with one on request.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:17pm
For driving or attempting to drive over the limit it's a £5,000 fine and/or a maximum 6 months imprisonment and disqualifed for at least 12 months.

You'll probably get more for causing injury and speeding, but at least you didn't leave the scene of an accident.

With having 2 other bans, you'll probably be disqualifed a while.

You shouldn't have done it, and you know that, but shit happens joyride learn

As Sanchez said, at least you didn't kill anyone.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:27pm
withthat

your insurance is gonna be so high mate frown
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:28pm
Thats it Joe as long as the other driver is ok, I was 66 on my 1st reading and 64 on my 2nd reading. To put that in to perspective they told me it takes 1 hour to take 10mgs off my breath, i was in the cell for 3 hours and was then legal.

I have found some info on the net for what i am expecting but then again it is upto the discretion of the Magistaights (sp) of Chester.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:29pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
withthat

your insurance is gonna be so high mate frown

I earn enough to cover it tho, after the ban i may take another few years off driving.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:32pm
yer, get the bus, help gordon brown and his quest to shaft us all
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:35pm
gordon brown and his quest to shaft us all

thought that was your quest Andy?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:42pm
lol, shhhhhhhhhh
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone advise me here? - 3rd Aug 2008 10:58pm
yer, get the bus, help gordon brown and his quest to shaft us all

Already got me push bike out ready for some few years abuse bananalama