Forums
Posted By: free_spirit Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 2:52pm
i just got home to a rejection letter from morrisons

worse thing is, life at work could get bad for me now as they had requested ref off ex work collegue which i know was good,
but also off my manager...
who i know now will make my life hell at work once she finds out...

she said she did a really good ref..(which i do deserve as always on time, do my work etc)
but how do i know she did?
as she is the type one day she likes you, next day hates and picks on you...

off tomorrow but admit a bit worried about work now...

can i ask for a copy of the ref that she sent to morrisons?

as need to know if it was good/bad as need to apply for other jobs?

thanks
Posted By: WLH27 Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:04pm
oh i am really sorry to hear this, i really thought you would be in with a chance for a job...

i would definatly ask for a copy of the letter and ask morrisons for some feedback as to why you didnt get offered a job with them...

hope something comes up for you soon

xx
Posted By: arwen444 Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:04pm
im so sorry you got the worst news both my daughter and her boyfriend got theirs too. i would think you could persuade morrisons to give you a copy of the letter explain your boss is being an arse after they requested them, the feed back would be helpful
Posted By: ema_lou Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:07pm
I don't think an employer isn't allowed to give a 'bad' reference, if they don't want to write anything nice about you then they can merely write things like '**** was employed within the company from ????-????'
Don't quote me on that but its what my manager said his legal advisor told him when he wanted to write that an ex collegue was always late, off ill and had no respect for authority (apparently classed as slander) :s
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:08pm
yes i think i will ring morrisons tomorrow
does anyone have the number?
and who i would ask for?

i had my interview the first week, wednesday and they requested my ref on the friday of same week...and now made me wait 6 weeks.. frown
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:10pm
Originally Posted by ema_lou
I don't think an employer isn't allowed to give a 'bad' reference, if they don't want to write anything nice about you then they can merely write things like '**** was employed within the company from ????-????'
Don't quote me on that but its what my manager said his legal advisor told him when he wanted to write that an ex collegue was always late, off ill and had no respect for authority (apparently classed as slander) :s

oh dear...i'm never late, was off ill 3 times in 5 years..2 times being one day each
then last year with a bad chest infection, took 2 days then strugled back in.
Posted By: WLH27 Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:12pm
Originally Posted by ema_lou

yeah this is right, an employer can not give out bad feedback and can only say that a person worked for the company...

smile
Posted By: WLH27 Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:17pm
0151 357 1074
Posted By: WLH27 Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:18pm
Originally Posted by WLH27
0151 357 1074

as far as i know stuart kempster is the one dealing with the recruitment...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:19pm
I was under the impression that prospective employers only asked current employers for a reference if they were going to offer the job. Makes anyone think twice before putting their current boss down as a referee.
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:21pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
I was under the impression that prospective employers only asked current employers for a reference if they were going to offer the job. Makes anyone think twice before putting their current boss down as a referee.

i agree totally...

i am gonna get the brunt of her when i she finds out...
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 3:33pm
Have just had a lovely chat with stuart..

feeling little better now...
just on way out explain more later

thanks guys x
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 4:08pm
Really sorry to hear this, I was hoping it would be good news for you. I also would have thought they would have waited until there was the offer of a job before contacting your current employer. Please let them know how much difficulty this has caused you and let them know if they are looking for any future people that you would be available. Don't forget not everyone is going to be able to accept their offers due to hours or whatever so they might be coming back to people they have rejected.

Sorry to hear about this.

xxx
Posted By: Wench Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 4:32pm
Originally Posted by free_spirit
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee

i agree totally...

i am gonna get the brunt of her when i she finds out...

Just tell her you were after extra hours if anything is said. I don't think they can make your life hell over a reference. Employment law isn't my area, but I doubt it'd be legal.

I always put "references available on request" instead of names. I know some ask for references before offering a job if it's to whittle people down i.e. you may have 3 people who were equally good in interview & on paper but it may come down to what ex employer has to say. It's a shit trick but they're the ones offering the job so they can do it I guess.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 5:29pm
I would not feel too disappointed ATM as there are a few people who already work for morrisons who have also been rejected for transfers from other morrisons stores, Ellesmere Port, West Kirby etc to New Brighton.
New Brighton will be running with a skeleton crew initially and will almost certainly re-recruit when/if things pick up after the store has been fully operational for a while.
Morrisons tend to mostly offer part time contracts first before they are prepared to increase from say 16,25 hours to full time 39 hour contracts.

PB

Posted By: Sallybear Re: Any advice please - 31st Aug 2011 5:55pm
During the recruitment process Morrison's stated that all offers would be part-time except night shifts which could be full time positions.

It really put me off at first, but there was a great promise of progression which I was hoping to aim for, such a shame they didn't get their arses into gear over this whole process, really has left them looking a little bit poor in my opinion.
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Any advice please - 1st Sep 2011 6:44am
Originally Posted by Sallybear
Really sorry to hear this, I was hoping it would be good news for you. I also would have thought they would have waited until there was the offer of a job before contacting your current employer. Please let them know how much difficulty this has caused you and let them know if they are looking for any future people that you would be available. Don't forget not everyone is going to be able to accept their offers due to hours or whatever so they might be coming back to people they have rejected.

Sorry to hear about this.

xxx

hiya
yes he said a lot of people have rang saying they can't accept the jobs as not enough hours etc for them...
and yes your right they are under recruiting...
felt a lot better after having a chat with them...

also a lot of people where phoned yesterday with Job offers...
good luck to everyone still waiting x
© Wirral-Wikiwirral