Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Public Toilets - 4th May 2015 10:14pm
Probably been touched on in earlier topics. Went for another evening stroll around west Kirby lake -this time quite a chilly breeze and inevitably the old bladder needed emptying. Considering its quite a popular venue in the evenings to catch the fantastic sunsets the loos are closed at 6:30. The locked doorway to the gents is slightly hidden and the area stinks of urine. Was towards dusk and did think about writing my name in the sand. wink. Come on Wirral cant we have one like in Clochmerle --open all hours
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Public Toilets - 5th May 2015 8:04am
Wirral may be famed for its scenery but it certainly isn't famed for its public loos *sigh*. I remember when I went to Jersey they were all over the place, every little bay had one - very well supplied with facilities!

I think a lot of Wirral's loos were closed due to being misused and damaged, cost of cleaning and repair etc. These days they can make virtually vandal-proof loos, of stainless steel etc, or those self-cleaning free-standing Tardis-type thingies.

If it's supposed to be a 'leisure peninsula' there should be more loo provision for visitors who want to go walking and enjoy the views. Until 8pm Morrisons loos are available near West Kirby prom, but that's not the point. We shouldn't have to rely on the goodwill of supermarkets, pubs etc.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Public Toilets - 5th May 2015 8:59am
I remember the one at New Brighton being closed due to the amount of lewd activity that they were being used for. So it seems that it was easier to close them than sort the problem out.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Public Toilets - 5th May 2015 9:19am
older posts click
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Public Toilets - 5th May 2015 1:02pm
A 1960s "Public Conveniences" map of Wallasey...so many of them!

Attached picture Public Conveniences.jpg
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Public Toilets - 5th May 2015 1:28pm
Dont forget to wash your hands!.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Public Toilets - 5th May 2015 3:48pm
Originally Posted by dustymclean
Dont forget to wash your hands!.

I cant--- its closed!
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Public Toilets - 7th May 2015 11:54am
Its to stop the bummers.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Public Toilets - 7th May 2015 1:39pm
Couldn't you use a pub bogs and it if it's a normal day (not bank holiday or Sunday you can use the supermarket bogs which is over the road from said public bogs
Posted By: Dilly Re: Public Toilets - 7th May 2015 1:41pm
There's no place like home smile
Posted By: starakita Re: Public Toilets - 7th May 2015 3:38pm
I've been to Devon & Cornwall & there's toilets by the beaches & in the towns,they're open till sunset usually. council here think no one comes out after 5 o clock so the toilets get locked.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Public Toilets - 7th May 2015 4:56pm
New Brighton, Moreton and West Kirby have two each.

Meols, Hoylake, Thornton Hough and New Ferry have one each.

I can't come to any sensible reasoning behind the selection.

I remember being at a meeting where it transpired that a council official had randomly stated there had been complaints of homosexual use at one toilets (Banks Road car park, Heswall), the neighbours wanted the toilets to remain and said they hadn't seen anything, the Police said they had no knowledge of activity there and they patrolled the area, Councillor Moonie was too busy repeatedly proclaiming her innocence to actually talk about the closure of the toilets. The toilets were closed and demolished.

There was the massive refurbishment of the toilets opposite Carlett Park, cars used to stop there and people disappear in the toilets for 20-30 minutes or longer (one car used to be there for hours at a time on a regular basis). I guess they must have complained about the poor amenities and hence it was upgraded.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Public Toilets - 10th May 2015 1:05pm
To try to distance ourselves from discussion of certain unsavoury use of public toilets, who remembers a thread from years ago posting pictures of long-closed public toilets? Here's one: corner of Argyle St. and Dacre St. Notice the old entrances, bricked up in a different brick.
http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api...tch=-1.7620184868585174&sensor=false

Here's another on Upton Rd. near the junction with Bidston Rd. Here, they didn't bother to demolish the terra cotta brickwork.
http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api...itch=1.9802981083199453&sensor=false
Posted By: Dilly Re: Public Toilets - 10th May 2015 2:05pm
There is one on Poulton road Wallasey that since closing as a public convenience has had many uses over the years including a mini shop and now is a mini music studio. Not much use if you need a pee though smile
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Public Toilets - 10th May 2015 3:39pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
I remember the one at New Brighton being closed due to the amount of lewd activity that they were being used for. So it seems that it was easier to close them than sort the problem out.

Yes Dilly, I remember that one well, the bottom (oops) of Viccy Rd.
Bloody 'orrible place. You'd have to be bummed out to go there.
Posted By: hagar Re: Public Toilets - 14th May 2015 8:33pm
There was one at the top of leasowe road next to the police [point] but was a mini station,next to the original cooperative which is now 2 or 3 shops.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Public Toilets - 14th May 2015 8:56pm
Also was one by Upton traffic lights; you can see the concrete patch where it used to be.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Public Toilets - 15th May 2015 9:26am
Hello Snowshoes, the one I meant was at the Harrison drive end and as I remember a high ranking police officer was one of the ones caught for the goings on in there. Maybe the just got him on a bum rap smile
Posted By: hagar Re: Public Toilets - 15th May 2015 11:04pm
There was another down the hill from the Derby pool bustop on the way to the pool.Went about 1980/81 i thnk.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Public Toilets - 29th May 2015 5:19pm
The one in New Ferry car park amuses me. Its open from about 11 a.m and shuts about 3.30pm. Shut all day on Sundays and bank holidays, it was recently severely damaged by someone driving a truck or some heavy vehicle into it and half demolishing it, probably by someone desperately trying to get in for a pee! It is not unusual for it not to open at all on odd days, presumably when the chap who locks and unlocks it has a day off!

Its been rebuilt, but remains firmly locked up!

I really don't understand the council's "thinking" behind this at all. If you're going to provide a public lavatory, it surely should be open when it is needed, not according to the whim of whoever opens and closes it.

Absolutely bloody crazy! No wonder all the alleys nearby reek of ammonia!

Perhaps the answer would be to repair to the Town Hall and pee on their front door! Maybe they would get the message then.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Public Toilets - 16th Jun 2015 12:30pm
"Lewd activity" goes on everywhere. In hotels for instance.

This is not, however, taken as an excuse to shut them all!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Public Toilets - 16th Jun 2015 2:13pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
"Lewd activity" goes on everywhere. In hotels for instance.

This is not, however, taken as an excuse to shut them all!

I quite agree, but they must have thought closure to be the easier option.
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Public Toilets - 16th Jun 2015 2:24pm
The New Ferry toilets have been repaired , the sign say's closed due to # vandalism #, i agree it is a pain ,no public toilets available...
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Public Toilets - 9th Jul 2015 1:31pm
Been to New Ferry to-day ....the male and female toilets are open now ..
Posted By: Dilly Re: Public Toilets - 9th Jul 2015 2:39pm
Originally Posted by missmahjong
Been to New Ferry to-day ....the male and female toilets are open now ..

Great ! I'm bursting smile
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Public Toilets - 27th Jul 2015 8:43pm
Don't expect them to be open before about 10 or 11 am or after 3.30 pm.

Or on Sundays
Or bank holidays
Or if the guy with the keys is having a day off!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral