Forums
Posted By: Maisie Help for my mum - 2nd Nov 2012 7:48pm
Hi everyone, I really need some advice, I'm at the end of my tether to honest!!
Anyway my 82 year old mum lives in Sheltered Accommodation in Rock Ferry, which is owned by a certain housing association. She's lived there for approximately 7 years, and has really enjoyed living there up until about the last 6 months or so.
A lady moved into the flat opposite her, who drinks regularly, smokes like a chimney and also has a bad case of a weak bladder. This woman's smells are coming into my mum's flat. And more recently the woman has been so drunk that she has set fire to her flat on numerous occasions. My mum has complained to the housing association many times, as have myself and my brother. I mean you get out of the lift and you can instantly smell a mixe of stale alcohol, stale smoke and urine all they way down to my mum's flat. I'm not joking it is a horrible combination of smells.
The housing association have said they are drawing up a picture of what's going on and they are looking into finding somewhere else for this lady to go to.
That was until today when a letter arrived telling my mum that they appreciate they we ( her family have concerns)but are no longer considering moving this lady to somewhere else. Instead in this letter they have stated that if another flat where to become available in one of their schemes ( another sheltered place). They would be happy for MY mum to move into there and give her flat up.
How dare they even think my mum wants to move away from all the friends she's made!!!! So angry about this, I really am!! I have phoned the housing myself today and was told I would receive a call back, which did not happen. I get the impression that they don't want to speak to me about it.
This lady obviously isn't capable of looking after herself and in my honest opinion needs to be a care home.
My mum is terrified of waking up with the whole building on fire. She is so scared that she actually went out and got £8000 worth of contents insurance for her flat (I had to phone up and reduce the amount of insurance she needed, the contents of her flat do not amount to £8000).
Does anyone know who I can contact other than the housing, to get some proper help?
Any advice or information would be very gratefully received!!
Thanks
Maisie
Posted By: Mark Re: Help for my mum - 2nd Nov 2012 7:59pm
The Local M.P.
Make and appointment at the local Surgery.

Its a short answer, im using my mobile.

Also if others share your mums concernes get them involved. Dont be put off by the first answer, as thats just to put the lame compaints to a side. Answer 2 or three would be closer to there intentions.

Good luck but keep at them.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Help for my mum - 2nd Nov 2012 8:00pm
You could maybe tell social services about the condition the neighbour is being left in as there is obviosuly nobody making sure she is clean etc, but I wouldn't be able to say that's what I would definitely do.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Help for my mum - 2nd Nov 2012 8:25pm
I think you should involve social services for this ladies benefit. If she's not capable of looking after herself (does anybody know if she's eating or just drinking?) and is putting herself and others in danger then some intervention is obviously needed.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Help for my mum - 2nd Nov 2012 9:09pm
Originally Posted by Zubee
I think you should involve social services for this ladies benefit. If she's not capable of looking after herself (does anybody know if she's eating or just drinking?) and is putting herself and others in danger then some intervention is obviously needed.

good advice as she sounds in need of help.
Posted By: Bennie Re: Help for my mum - 2nd Nov 2012 9:57pm
maybe you could try the M.P. and the local Councillor for your mums area or maybe Age U,K. My sister is a situation like your mums and she wouldn,t contacy anyone but the housing association and they are also trying to move my sister out. good luck and keep trying.

Bennie.
Posted By: Dolphin123 Re: Help for my mum - 2nd Nov 2012 10:51pm
In a lot of sheltered accommodations there is in some of them a manager not all live in but if there is one I would say that this is your first port of call for assistance in this matter.
Posted By: Andrew1980 Re: Help for my mum - 2nd Nov 2012 11:10pm
Hi

I think I'd get in touch with the Citizens advise to see were she stands but send a letter to the council saying your doing this,if your mum own's her own flat shes entitled to more.
Posted By: Lynda Re: Help for my mum - 3rd Nov 2012 12:14am
Have you had a word with the warden? I personally would make a visit to the housing office...and maybe try and get someone from there to come out and actually see/smell what your mum has to put up with!

Good luck tho whichever route you go down

Lyn
Posted By: katiechops Re: Help for my mum - 3rd Nov 2012 8:21am
Firstly if your mum rents the flat, she should have a tenancy agreement, if so check the terms and see if the other lady is specificaly breeching any of these. If she has, ie.her excess drinking is causing a nuisance then make an appointment to see the housing officer again,taking with you a 'diary' of times. dated etc of these incedents and how this has affected your Mum. Don't forget that anti social behaviour is not limited to youngsters.
Hope things work out for you.
Posted By: Maisie Re: Help for my mum - 3rd Nov 2012 8:49am
Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice. All of what you have said are all very good points. I will definitely be looking into to everything you have all said.
Thanks soooo much, very much appreciated.
Maisie
© Wirral-Wikiwirral