Forums
Posted By: Gibbo Shell Lairds - charged three times for fuel - 10th Jun 2013 4:32pm
This might just have happened to me but I thought I'd post a general heads up.

I used Shell Lairds on Saturday afternoon for fuel, as I usually do if I'm at that end of the Wirral needing fuel.

I found I couldn't use my credit card Saturday evening. I put it down to an issue with the company I was dealing with.

But today I found the card still not working and a "Please contact us" text message from my card issuer.

They'd blocked my card after the fuel transaction was put through three times.

Obviously with it being on a credit card it will all be sorted without me being out of pocket, and it could have just happened to me, but it doesn't hurt to check your statements if you've been there.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Shell Lairds - charged three times for fuel - 11th Jun 2013 7:56am
I wonder what happened there - bit worrying!

I used the cash machine there the other day and it is limited to £50 max. It struck me as being unusual.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Shell Lairds - charged three times for fuel - 11th Jun 2013 8:46am
Thanks for the heads up Gibbo, just what you don't need.
If I were you would ring Merseyside Police, if you havn't already.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Shell Lairds - charged three times for fuel - 11th Jun 2013 9:20am
Faulty terminal maybe?

Cheers for the heads up happy
Posted By: TheDr Re: Shell Lairds - charged three times for fuel - 11th Jun 2013 9:33am
I'm not defending anyone here, just adding in the bits I know that "might" help to explain it.

The "Pay at Pump" service was off at that station for a time last week, this could suggest that they did have a terminal fault. It could also be that they wanted as many cards brought inside as possible, but unlikely as you're just drawing attention to it.

The newer cash terminals do have the ability to "limit" cash amounts when they are getting low. You can normally draw £250 a time out of this, four withdrawals and that's a thousand pounds out, so it needs a LOT of money inside it, to which the normal staff don't have access to. When the machines are filled you tell it how much you have put in, when it gets low it notifies that a refill is required and limits withdrawals. This does mean that you can't draw out a lot of money, which could be a minor inconvenience, but it stops the machine being emptied as quickly, which could leave people without money to pay for their fuel etc.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Shell Lairds - charged three times for fuel - 11th Jun 2013 11:14am
Good point, pay at pump as also down on Saturday.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Shell Lairds - charged three times for fuel - 11th Jun 2013 12:49pm
Thanks for that information Doc.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Shell Lairds - charged three times for fuel - 11th Jun 2013 12:53pm
I ride a bike and use pay at pump wherever possible. I have never seen that working at this station.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral