Forums
Posted By: HistoricalTony Kestral in Wallasey - 12th Aug 2011 4:09am
had the lucky opperunity today to arrive at ashville football club earlier today and there was a kestral sat on the fence with a magpie. such an amazing site.

it was lovely to see
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Kestral in Wallasey - 12th Aug 2011 6:10am
They are lovely, we are quite lucky on the Wirral, they are actually quite common along with a couple of other birds of prey, never used to see them when I was a kid, great that they are recovering so well.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Kestral in Wallasey - 12th Aug 2011 10:30am
Originally Posted by Sallybear
They are lovely, we are quite lucky on the Wirral, they are actually quite common along with a couple of other birds of prey, never used to see them when I was a kid, great that they are recovering so well.

Are Peregrine Falcons as common as Kestrals in Wirral?
The twitchers used to come out in force each year when there was a nest on roof of Hamilton Square Station.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Kestral in Wallasey - 12th Aug 2011 10:33am
I don't think peregrines are as common, Kestrels are always spotted at the side of the motorway and above hedgerows in fields etc.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Kestral in Wallasey - 12th Aug 2011 10:33am
Had one in new ferry,last year,it ate one of my young blackbirds in the garden,sad! But thats life

A peregrine
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Kestral in Wallasey - 12th Aug 2011 1:16pm
Hi Tony, it hunts the old football field between Ashville and the railway line. It hovers about 30 seconds then moves forward about 5 yards then repeats this across the width of the field. It then flys around in a massive circle, presumably so as not to spook anything, and does the same thing 5 yards down the field. Occasionally it swoops down. It repeats this pattern of covering the field until it catches something and then it flys off in the direction of Bidston. If it's had a Magpie, hunting must be tough, I've seen it completely ignore Magpies and Pigeons when it's hunting, although recently I have seen a few Magpie leftovers when walking the dog. Usually just the wings attached to the backbone.

Look out for it next time you are down Ashville. It's about around 4pm to 6pm usually.
Posted By: Mike304 Re: Kestral in Wallasey - 12th Aug 2011 5:17pm
Had a Peregrine living on my roof when I lived in the flats in Moreton. Was going to upload a pic, but haven't got my head around the process here - sorry smile
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Kestral in Wallasey - 13th Aug 2011 11:27am
Originally Posted by HistoricalTony
had the lucky opperunity today to arrive at ashville football club earlier today and there was a kestral sat on the fence with a magpie. such an amazing site.

it was lovely to see

Not for the magpie. Lol
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Kestral in Wallasey - 14th Aug 2011 6:00pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America
Hi Tony, it hunts the old football field between Ashville and the railway line. It hovers about 30 seconds then moves forward about 5 yards then repeats this across the width of the field. It then flys around in a massive circle, presumably so as not to spook anything, and does the same thing 5 yards down the field. Occasionally it swoops down. It repeats this pattern of covering the field until it catches something and then it flys off in the direction of Bidston. If it's had a Magpie, hunting must be tough, I've seen it completely ignore Magpies and Pigeons when it's hunting, although recently I have seen a few Magpie leftovers when walking the dog. Usually just the wings attached to the backbone.

Look out for it next time you are down Ashville. It's about around 4pm to 6pm usually.

yeah thats the first time ive seen it down there, will be keeping a look out for it in future and try and get a few pics
© Wirral-Wikiwirral