Forums
Posted By: organiser Laptop breakdown - 25th May 2016 11:32am
My laptop is using windows 10 and has been fine up until this morning when the following message screened as I turned machine on
Intel UNDI,PXE-2.0 ((build 083)
For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controllor v2.0.2.3(06/18/10)
Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF:Exiting Intel PXE ROM
Operating System not found

I cannot get any further with trying to get into my laptop as each time I switch on the message is there and laptop won't start

Any ideas please

Many thanks
Organiser
Posted By: Habdab Re: Laptop breakdown - 25th May 2016 12:45pm
Sounds like the MBR is corrupted, You can always restore everything from the System image you made. Just put the recovery disk in the DVD drive and restore.

If you can't get it sorted, take it along to Roy at Akita Consoles,
387 Poulton Rd, Wallasey CH44 4DD. He's the cheapest repair guy I know and very willing.
At the very least, he'll tell you what's wrong with them.

Phone 0772 572 1413
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop breakdown - 25th May 2016 1:46pm
Sounds like its trying to do a remote boot either because the hard disk is not functioning or the cmos setup has got corrupted.

On some you can press F12 to get into the boot menu during switch on. What make is it?
Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop breakdown - 25th May 2016 4:52pm
Save the bios to defaults, reboot, change the boot order. You should see your hdd listed if not, then the connection between the mother board and the drive could have failed.

Sometimes F12 lets you manually select the boot order.

More investigation required.
Posted By: organiser Re: Laptop breakdown - 25th May 2016 6:11pm
Sorry for not acknowledging replies earlier, I have been in Liverpool this afternoon.....I am grateful for your responses but sadly I do not have the nouse to do as suggested as when I bought laptop from a local dealer there was no recovery disc....that dealer has now closed down so I have no way of asking for a recovery disc.
Posted By: organiser Re: Laptop breakdown - 25th May 2016 6:38pm
It is a Dell
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop breakdown - 25th May 2016 9:13pm
Dell is usually F12 to select the boot device. Switch laptop on and keep hitting F12 until the boot menu pops up.

Menu normally has "Internal HDD" which is what you need to select.

If it does the same as before then its a bit more in depth.

Sorry about the vague "normally" and "usually" words but there a million variants on these things but I think Dell is normally a bit more consistent.
Posted By: organiser Re: Laptop breakdown - 26th May 2016 12:52pm
Thanks Diggin Deeper did what you said by pressing F12 but could not find Internal HDD
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop breakdown - 26th May 2016 2:45pm
Sounds like something is wrong with the hard drive then, sometimes this is something amazingly simple (drive has come unseated from its socket) but its more likely gone faulty, still a slight chance the cmos setup is not correct. Suggest you follow habdab's advice above.
Posted By: organiser Re: Laptop breakdown - 26th May 2016 6:40pm
Thank you to everyone who offered help....I will follow advice to go to Poulton Road...fingers crossed it is not too serious

Organiser
© Wirral-Wikiwirral