Forums
Posted By: kieranw7261 Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 7:44pm
Hi all

Does anyone know of any fabric shops that sell upholstery fabric by the meter?

I know Abakan fabrics but they don't have what I want.
Posted By: Giggler Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 7:51pm
Hi the bankrupt shop on Borough Road told my sister in law that they`re doing more furniture than fabrics now and that all the fabric goes to Spain. It`s a shame though she`s made all kinds of things with gorgeous fabric from there.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 8:03pm
Bit of a drive out but maybe a phone call to Abakhan out near Holywell
Posted By: venice Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 8:04pm
Try Calico Lane Unit 14-16 Clayhill Industrial Estate, Neston, Cheshire CH64 3UG
0151 336 3939 They have a huge amount, but not discount like Abakan. Think they have a branch elsewhere in Wirral but notsure where.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 8:54pm
Hi the bankrupt shop on Borough Road used to have another branch somewhere at the back of TJH's in Liverpool. Has the one in Birkenhead now closed as it looked like it had a few months back?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 9:12pm
Originally Posted by GeeMeister
Hi the bankrupt shop on Borough Road used to have another branch somewhere at the back of TJH's in Liverpool. Has the one in Birkenhead now closed as it looked like it had a few months back?

Behind TJ's in Liverpool is Abakhan Fabrics.

The Bankrupt Shop on Borough Road, Birkenhead closed a few months ago, administrators were appointed at the end of 2013 so yes, it went bankrupt.
Posted By: Giggler Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 9:17pm

The Bankrupt Shop on Borough Road, Birkenhead closed a few months ago, administrators were appointed at the end of 2013 so yes, it went bankrupt. [/quote]

I`m not surprised really. Loads of places sell the type of furniture he had. He should have stayed with the fabric. Especially now we`re encouraged to make do and mend! Not that I can or do. Unfortunately.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 11:13pm
The Bankrupt Shop also had a shop behind TJ's, i collected some blinds from there but unfortunately can't remember which road. I believe it was parrallel to road which Abakhan is in as we called in there too.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 11:25pm
Yep, you are right, 29 Stafford Street, Abakhan's is 34-44 Stafford St
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Fabric shops - 21st Feb 2015 11:46pm
Thanks for that, as it was a while ago i started doubting the old grey cells lol
Posted By: daveybm Re: Fabric shops - 22nd Feb 2015 9:13am
Originally Posted by venice
Try Calico Lane Unit 14-16 Clayhill Industrial Estate, Neston, Cheshire CH64 3UG
0151 336 3939 They have a huge amount, but not discount like Abakan. Think they have a branch elsewhere in Wirral but notsure where.

Calico Lane have a shop in Liscard Crescent in Wallasey

Dave
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Fabric shops - 22nd Feb 2015 3:06pm
Just before you reach the Welsh Abakhan on the coast road at Mostyn, there's another store that looks like it sells upholstery fabrics. Might be worth a try - the Welsh Abakhan is a nice place to visit anyway (if you have a car) with a smart new cafe too since the refurbishment. Haven't been in Birkenhead Market recently but there used to be a stall called Billy Hill's, that did a variety of fabrics.
Posted By: Giggler Re: Fabric shops - 22nd Feb 2015 4:47pm
My friend told me Dunelm Mill in Aintree is brilliant. Not just the ready made stuff but fabric too.
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Fabric shops - 23rd Feb 2015 2:17pm
You can always check what Abakhan have by going to their web site Abakhan. There are also tons of fabric on ebay. smile
Posted By: j_demo Re: Fabric shops - 23rd Feb 2015 2:21pm
Laura Ashley sell fabric by the meter/yard i believe.

As does John Lewis in L1
© Wirral-Wikiwirral