Forums
Posted By: Hannahirby Help! Bird stuck behind gas fire - 27th Aug 2014 3:39pm
A bird has fallen into our chimney which is behind our gas fire. Pulled the fire out and the bird is nowhere to be seen we can still hear it moving around though and soot is everywhere. Does anyone have any advice??
Posted By: buddy Re: Help! Bird stuck behind gas fire - 27th Aug 2014 4:27pm
Light the fire!!
Posted By: chris58 Re: Help! Bird stuck behind gas fire - 27th Aug 2014 4:37pm
We had that problem with a jay. I called British gas they came a got it out, didnt get charged
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Help! Bird stuck behind gas fire - 27th Aug 2014 6:41pm
Chimney sweep? I had a magpie stuck in my chimney and the sweep pushed the brush up and it ejected it unharmed but very sooty. Then get a mesh thing fitted on top of the chimney pot to prevent recurrence, if possible. Number I have for sweep presuming he hasn't retired - is Mr Dunne, 625 6079.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Help! Bird stuck behind gas fire - 30th Aug 2014 7:56pm
...am wondering if it has all gone horribly wrong for the bird, or if a solution was reached?
Posted By: Hannahirby Re: Help! Bird stuck behind gas fire - 31st Aug 2014 7:50pm
Thanks everyone for the advice. The bird was finally rescued a couple of days ago but it's eyes were in a bad way with soot and after trying to clean it up a bit it died unfortunately it was a pigeon. I tried calling Mr Dunne but not answer, thanks anyway.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Help! Bird stuck behind gas fire - 31st Aug 2014 8:27pm
Oh dear - ah well, can't win every time. If you can get one of those cage things fitted sometime, it will save any other problems. I've had two magpies down the chimney in 20 years - not often, but too often for me! First time, I found a hysterical magpie jumping up and down on the windowledge when I came downstairs in the morning; had to nab it in a teatowel and put it out of the window! I had a cage fitted when I had a multifuel stove put in, so hopefully no more little incidents.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral