Forums
Posted By: Uffda Smoke Damage Removal - 19th Jun 2014 2:48pm
I had a little fire in the kitchen yesterday. Unfortunately it burnt itself out after a couple of hours causing hardly any burn damage but lots of smoke damage throughout the whole house. I'm having to clean it up myself with bleach and loads of water. What is the best way to clean the wallpaper and ceilings? Am I best just using water and bleach or is sugar soap better and why? I can't believe I was so stupid but have only just started a part time job so can't afford a professional cleaning company.
Any advice anyone?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 19th Jun 2014 3:18pm
I'd try vacuuming as much of the soot off you can first, sugar soap will much kinder than bleach. unless its washable wallpaper I wouldn't go near it with water, it could make it bubble, the same as preparing for stripping.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 19th Jun 2014 3:35pm
I'd definitely leave the bleach well alone; it can cause a lot of damage. I'm assuming you have no home contents insurance, otherwise that would cover it.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 19th Jun 2014 4:36pm
Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately my insurance just lapsed without me knowing as they must have contacted me to renew but my email address had changed a few months ago and I forgot to inform them. I know I've been stupid and as of ten mins ago, now have insurance which won't covert this incident obviously but at least will protect me in future. I think it will have to be a lot of elbow grease but because I have a chronic illness will have to get it done slowly. I'll pop over to B&Q tomorrow and get a bumper bottle of sugar soap. At least the weather is warm so the clothes are drying quickly.
Posted By: Mark Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 20th Jun 2014 6:56am
OMG that's terrible.
Glad your ok. This happened at my mums many years ago.
Its terrible and hard work removing the smoke damage.

My mum was forced to re decorate in the end, the damage was too much.

Posted By: Uffda Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 20th Jun 2014 7:38am
Thanks Mark, I'm just glad I didn't burn the house down and those of my neighbours. Luckily also my cats were okay.
So I know I've been dumb but the lesson as been learned and in the months of cleaning ahead it will be hammered home!
Posted By: Madge Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 20th Jun 2014 10:07am
im glad your ok, home bargains often have bottles of sugar soap in there and it will be cheaper than b and q,
Posted By: Uffda Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 20th Jun 2014 6:05pm
Thanks Madge.
I went to Home and Bargain in New Brighton and got a ton of cleaning stuff, unfortunately they didn't have any sugar soap so I had to got to B&Q. Have started the clean up today, luckily the weather is so nice that the curtains and clothing is drying well.
Posted By: granny Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 20th Jun 2014 9:06pm
Feel very sorry for you Uffda, not an easy task. Pleased that
it was no worse, but words aren't much good to you at the moment. Good luck with it all.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 20th Jun 2014 9:25pm
Aw no, so sorry to hear about this.

Could you not arrange a Clean Up Party with family/ friends??

Reward them with a Pizza delivery or something?

Good luck.
Posted By: Madge Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 20th Jun 2014 9:57pm
Originally Posted by Uffda
Thanks Madge.
I went to Home and Bargain in New Brighton and got a ton of cleaning stuff, unfortunately they didn't have any sugar soap so I had to got to B&Q. Have started the clean up today, luckily the weather is so nice that the curtains and clothing is drying well.

im glad you got most of them there, if you need some stuff put through a washer let me know, i can do a few bags while the weather is nice,
Posted By: Uffda Re: Smoke Damage Removal - 21st Jun 2014 7:37am
Thank you so much for your support hand offer to help. Friends have offered to help and suggested a cleaning party but I'm too proud for my own good!
I'll get there in he end smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral