Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 12:18pm
Any one have any Recommendations for some where to go for a really nice meal, I don't want a place that does that processed meat, when I order beef or chicken I expect real meat.
Posted By: Abbot Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 12:31pm
Hickory's Smoke House in West Kirby is a very nice place with great food
Posted By: tedmus Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 1:51pm
Cafe Sage is always good.
Posted By: alanw Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 1:58pm
fusion in claughton village just been voted No.1 restaurant in Wirral
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 2:07pm
For a reasonably priced better quality pub meal Bassett Hound in Thingwall do 2 for £10 and for an extra £1 you can have their award winning fish chips and mushy peas. The other menu items are pretty good as well and the pub has a nice country feel to it.
Followed by cake and coffee for £2.50.
Been 3 times recently (admittedly the 3rd time the fish was not quite as good as previous visits but that might have been because we went quite late and the fat had been used a lot).Looking forward to a trip to the cottage loaf at Thursaston as its just been done out and has the same menu.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 4:25pm
Originally Posted by Abbot

vastly over rated and waaaaaaay over priced for what you get.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 4:48pm
This topic has been discussed on here before and I think that it is clear that if you want good food then like everything else in life you have to pay for it. The Manor in Greasby,The Boathouse in Parkgate, The Grove in Wallasey Village are all good places in my opinion.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 6:52pm
the risa spice in new ferry every time loooooooooovly food
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 9:23pm
La Venezia opposite Prenton park is good for Italian food
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 30th Jun 2013 9:58pm
Thanks for all Recommendations
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 1st Jul 2013 3:35pm
no where in Oldham. whistle
Posted By: Wench Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 1st Jul 2013 10:21pm
The Anchor in Irby is my favourite smile
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 2nd Jul 2013 8:13am
Originally Posted by poppy67
Nothing to say that is useful, then don't comment.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 2nd Jul 2013 11:27am
I would recommend The Manor in Greasby - fab food.
Posted By: delta6 Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 2nd Jul 2013 12:49pm

agreed.

ellies in greasby too.
Posted By: RedMen231 Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 3rd Jul 2013 6:59pm
I had a sunday roast from bassett hound in thingwall it was awful,It tasted like microwave food.I would NOT recommend
Posted By: Samsamsam Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 9th Jul 2013 2:27pm
Our favourite is Nova, Pensby Road, Heswall. Glorious, pretty, tasty food - they do a special early doors menu £15 for two courses, £17.50 for 3. The portions aren't huge, they are just right - and of course you are getting 3 courses for what some restaurants are charging for one course. Staff are just right too.

Google them, if just to drool at the pictures.

I've eaten at Hickory Smoke House - brown food basically. Tasty, but left me feeling guilty at all that fat, salt, gravy, bread, popcorn, (did I mention salt?). It was a lovely burger though. Their barbecued pulled pork is like string marinated in a bottled barbecued sauce.

With you on The Anchor at Irby, and they serve Doombar!
Posted By: Wench Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 24th Jul 2013 9:23pm
Originally Posted by Samsamsam
.......they serve Doombar!

A good enough reason in my book! It is divine smile
Posted By: lansyp Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 24th Jul 2013 10:19pm
fusion claughton village went there last saturday ,realy nice people and lovely food highley recommend
Posted By: kemirakid Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 24th Jul 2013 10:41pm
107 dining room Heswall
and sant alberto Moreton
both recommended
Posted By: Pablo Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 24th Jul 2013 11:22pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky

vastly over rated and waaaaaaay over priced for what you get.

Yep
Posted By: Pablo Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 24th Jul 2013 11:24pm
Grill room @ Hillbark

Linos in Meols.

Budget?
Posted By: Madge Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 24th Jul 2013 11:49pm
Linos in Hoylake
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 25th Jul 2013 10:27am
Meat and Mingle in Hoylake has fantastic Sunday Lunches - no processed meat. Have been numerous times and never disappointed.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 25th Jul 2013 10:59am
Originally Posted by RedMen231
I had a sunday roast from bassett hound in thingwall it was awful,It tasted like microwave food.I would NOT recommend

Basset Hound is the same as Caernarvon Castle in Oxton, it's a Green King pub and both pubs have improved lately but still just pub food. All bought in from 'Brakes' even the poached eggs come in little see through packets all pre poached somwhere else, heated up in a water bath.

Roast dinners are cooked the day before (Meat is anyway) pre sliced and ready for the Sunday.

Not bad but nothing special.

Anywhere that does simple food with fresh ingredients can't really go wrong.

OH BUT AVOID SHELDRAKES!! Rip off city, crap food worst experience ever in there on two occasions which was a shame because the first time we went there it was lovely.
Posted By: granny Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 25th Jul 2013 3:42pm
They seem to chop and change according to new ownership etc.
Have to agree with Sallybear's comment on Sheldrakes being a rip-off. First time I went there was about 14 yrs ago. It was lovely, relaxed, resonable prices, and good food. Can't say the same now. Food very expensive for what you are paying for.
Basset Hound Sunday lunch....rubbish. Although they serve other meals which are not too bad for pub food. Their fish and chips is not bat at all.
Irby Mill are supposed to be good now but that's only on here say. It also get very busy and booking is advised.Also Devon Doorway, nice but expensive and a bit sit up a beg type of place. Cottage loaf and Glegg Arms? Haven't been recently. There's a pub in Neston which does a really good Sunday dinner. Can't remember what it's called tho'. Any help with that? Could it be the Brewrs Arms?
Posted By: baconbutty Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 25th Jul 2013 6:06pm
Originally Posted by Willo_
Originally Posted by poppy67
Nothing to say that is useful, then don't comment.

What about Bury, Croydon or Glasgow??
Posted By: Dave_James Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 25th Jul 2013 7:00pm
Went to the Eastern Ferry on Tuesday evening, was very dissapointed to find chewing gum on the bottom of my plate. I complained and was told by the owner that it was mayonnaise, not chewing gum, she said this sometimes happens as the dishwasher sometimes misses bits. I asked if it was not possible for her staff to take 2 seconds to check the crockery before serving food. I was disgusted with the fact they serve food on dirty plates and won't be returning.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Recommendations, place for nice meal. - 25th Jul 2013 8:22pm
We kept being recommended to go to The Old Quay in Park Gate, but I have to say it is very hit and miss, I guess it really does depend on who is on.

The last time we went was last week (mid-week so it was not busy at all), for a carvery.

-The sausage was burnt inside so much it actually crunched, usually when sausages burn its just the skin, but this was almost black in the middle!!. I am not joking when I say it was like eating a pork scratching wrapped in a sausage skin. Now I actually like burnt meat, I think it tastes nice (I grew up on char-burnt barbecue), but I know very few people like it.
-The mashed potatoes were pretty tasteless and hard large pieces of still fairly hard un-mashed potato in.
-The roasties were quite crunchy (but again, I like that)
-The Turkey was dryer than Ghandi's flip-flop, even with gravy it was hard to swallow.
-I wasn't sure if the cauliflower was meant to be cauliflower chesse or just cauliflower with butter on.
The rest of the meal was OK, and it is very, very filling.

SO, not a great evening for the people I was eating with as they are not huge fans of over cooked food, but other than the mash and the turkey, I thought it was OK.

For all that negative though, the time before when we had a carvery there, it was gorgeous!!!

Perhaps they have a chef/cook or two who are not quite into the spirit of things?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral