Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Furniture - 5th May 2013 10:24pm
I am well aware that all furniture sold must have appropriate fire safety labels. Because some surplus furniture that I have pre-dates those sort of regulations there are no labels. Similarly, the charity places will not take it

Question - can it (legally) be given away? For example could it go on Wiki "free" board?

Nice cream 3 piece suite in superb condition. Pics available. Has to "go" by the end of the month.

Snod
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Furniture - 5th May 2013 10:33pm
I just read this...

The Regulations apply to all persons in the business supply chain from the supply of materials for use in
furniture through to the supply of the finished article as well as re-upholstery and re-covering. They affect:
•Persons who supply furniture, furnishings or re upholstery services including: •Manufacturers
•Retailers
•Importers

•Persons who supply filling materials and fabrics to the furniture industry or direct to consumers
•Persons who supply re-upholstery and re-covering services
•Persons who supply second-hand furniture in the course of business or trade (e.g. auctioneers,
charities).

http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/

Posted By: Snodvan Re: Furniture - 5th May 2013 10:47pm
Yep, I trawled through most of that stuff before I posted BUT it is all concerned with the furniture TRADE ie making and selling, including selling used stuff. Nowhere I can find does it overtly cover the case of GIVING stuff away.

Snod
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Furniture - 5th May 2013 11:00pm
You are Ok to give away second hand furniture or even sell it as long as you are not trade or a charity.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Furniture - 5th May 2013 11:19pm
More info...
Who do the Regulations apply to?
The Regulations apply to anyone supplying old or new furniture in the course of a business. This includes manufacturers and retailers of new furniture, and retailers of second-hand furniture. They do not apply when furniture is simply given away or sold by private individuals.
take from site...
http://staffcentral.brighton.ac.uk/safety/Firepages/fireguidance/Furniture%20and%20furnishings.doc
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Furniture - 5th May 2013 11:35pm
and more...
Who do the Regulations apply to?

The Regulations apply to anyone supplying old or new furniture in the course of a business. This includes manufacturers and retailers of new furniture, and retailers of second-hand furniture. They do not apply when furniture is simply given away or sold by private individuals.
http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/aspx/pages/furniture/furniture_faq.aspx
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Furniture - 6th May 2013 8:06am
ZC

Thank you very much for your efforts finding good source material to answer my question. I will put it as a freebee on Wiki.

The suite concerned was in the 'best parlour' of my parents house for many years. As such it is in very good condition. It is also quite modern looking and I am sure will serve a good turn for someone else.

Both my parents have now died and the house is being emptied in preparation for installing central heating, new bathroom, new kitchen, a rewire, loft re-insulation and new gutters. It may then be sold or more likely put for rent for at least a few years. Almost all the belongings and other furniture have gone - all to the charity groups of Shelter, St Vincent and AgeUK who have had a bonanza. By signing the appropriate papers those charity groups will also be able to reclaim tax on from the value of sales.

There are a few remaining large items, and this suite is one of them. I am quite happy to give it to anyone who can get use from it.

There is another suite - 3 seater sofa and rocker-recliner chair that is brand new. Cost £900. Was delivered just before Christmas and mum died early January. That leather-look suite obviously has all the right safety labels. It is too good to just give away and likely it will will first go on Wiki "for sale" board or can simply stay in the house if it it put for rent.

The final big item is an old (1950s) wood veneer bedroom suite of double wardrobe, single wardrobe and dressing table. It shows it's age of course. The best bit on it is the LARGE dressing table mirror that dad had re-silvered about 8 years ago. The small wardrobe is the best of the actual furniture. All or part of it will be free to anyone who wants it (AgeUK saw it and said no interest) - otherwise it will just go to the tip later in May.

Thanks again for your help

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral