Forums
Posted By: mikeeb Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 25th Aug 2020 1:34pm
Here is a picture of men digging deep trenches in Birkenhead Park, which will become shelters. Birkenhead, Merseyside, 28th September 1938.
[Linked Image]
I was looking on the Britain from Above website and noticed these huge shelters in Birkenhead park. Maybe it is these shelters because they look extensive.
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW001782

Attached picture Air raid shelters birkenhead park.png
Posted By: locomotive Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 25th Aug 2020 5:50pm
I think they were issued with 5 cigarettes per shovel.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 26th Aug 2020 9:23am
Hahaha! I thought the same.
It is amazing that most people smoked back then and they were still more healthy than most people that don't smoke today. Is it food or cigarettes, you choose.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 26th Aug 2020 9:45am
Timbering up the deep trenches in Birkenhead Park where shelters will have seats along each side and be covered with loose earth. 28th September 1938.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Couple of more pics of the Star Acadia and Hilbre Island in the same article here: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/gallery/september-1st-half-9976103
Posted By: yoller Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 26th Aug 2020 10:45am
That's a great picture - can you tell me where the original photo can be seen so I can look at the detail? I want to see if I can identify any of the men and it tends to pixellate when you expand it here on the website. Thanks.
Posted By: yoller Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 26th Aug 2020 10:47am
Just seen the link to the Echo - answered my question.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 26th Aug 2020 2:12pm
Did you recognise any of them Yoller?
Posted By: yoller Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 26th Aug 2020 7:23pm
No, unfortunately. One face looked familiar, but it's not who I thought it was. Great pictures, though.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 27th Aug 2020 2:09am
There were two sets of shelters in Birkenhead Park, the others near the tennis courts. A few years ago I went round with a probe to see if i could detect any remnants but under the whole football field there appears to be a layer of hardcore, presumably to help drainage.

It wasn't until some time after that I found out that both sets of shelters were timber framed (I knew the other ones were), so they were bound to have been filled in for safety reasons.

There is at least one probable small concrete shelter in the surrounds of the park which is probably still extant, we had a go at getting in twice but were put off by the excess of rat/human pee/poo etc and it looked like it might have been capped with concrete.

There is also a rumour about another location by a now demolished school building but the information was sketchy and what we found was very inconclusive. I'm sure I found out more information about this one but I've forgotten what.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 27th Aug 2020 6:33am
To be honest, I was surprised to see them being framed in timber. I'd imagine that it would be rare if any of these types of shelter to still be in existence.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 27th Aug 2020 6:52am
I have found the other similar ones on BFA. They are on the right hand corner of Ashville Rd and Park Rd North.
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW001792
Posted By: joney Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 27th Aug 2020 9:47am
I remember the shelter by the tennis courts well. After it was finished the earth was piled back on top to form a mound and then grassed. We used to have great fun as kids running up and down it.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Birkenhead park air raid shelters. - 27th Aug 2020 11:00am
Were they timber framed Joney?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral