Forums
Posted By: petronell Wallasey Charter Jubilee Year 1960 - 21st Aug 2017 10:04am
Hello,

I have posted a video on youtube which might be of interest to some of you.

https://youtu.be/7Eu5SClEk7A

This film was made in 1960 by the Wallasey Corporation to celebrate the Jubilee year of Wallasey's Charter.

The film was held in Wirral Archives and my father made this copy in 1989 when he was working as an advisory teacher for Wirral LEA. He made the copy by pointing a video camera at the projection screen at Birkenhead Central Library. At the time the archivists had to have the reel of film repaired to allow the copy to be made.

My Dad then transferred the video to DVD in 2005 and I have uploaded to youtube this morning.

The interest in the film for my family is the Mayor of Wallasey seen in the last couple of minutes of the film is Cyril Dingle who was my maternal Grandfather and it's the only film we have of him. He received the CBE in 1961 for his public service.

Hopefully you find it of interest, and certainly shows Wallasey at a time when there was a lot less traffic.

Dave
Posted By: snowhite Re: Wallasey Charter Jubilee Year 1960 - 21st Aug 2017 10:44am
Originally Posted by petronell
Hello,

I have posted a video on youtube which might be of interest to some of you.

https://youtu.be/7Eu5SClEk7A

This film was made in 1960 by the Wallasey Corporation to celebrate the Jubilee year of Wallasey's Charter.

The film was held in Wirral Archives and my father made this copy in 1989 when he was working as an advisory teacher for Wirral LEA. He made the copy by pointing a video camera at the projection screen at Birkenhead Central Library. At the time the archivists had to have the reel of film repaired to allow the copy to be made.

My Dad then transferred the video to DVD in 2005 and I have uploaded to youtube this morning.

The interest in the film for my family is the Mayor of Wallasey seen in the last couple of minutes of the film is Cyril Dingle who was my maternal Grandfather and it's the only film we have of him. He received the CBE in 1961 for his public service.

Hopefully you find it of interest, and certainly shows Wallasey at a time when there was a lot less traffic.

Dave
[youtube]v=7Eu5SClEk7A&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Posted By: Norton Re: Wallasey Charter Jubilee Year 1960 - 21st Aug 2017 2:20pm
What an excellent find - thanks for posting.

Look at the credits - Narrated by Alvar Liddell and filmed by local photographers Medley and Bird.

Note how the Women Police Officers were 'best suited' to school crossings, lost children and interviewing female suspects. Just one of a couple of things that might be considered 'non-pc' these days.

So the Council had all this and did all this, and on time, they say. That includes three ferry boats and twenty-two bus routes serving Seacombe Ferry terminus.

But was it on Budget?
It would be interesting to see a comparison of wages domestic rates and Council expenditure compared to today.
Posted By: cools Re: Wallasey Charter Jubilee Year 1960 - 21st Aug 2017 3:34pm
Enjoyed that Petronell thanks for putting up. The fashions and little kids hairstyles are what made me smile, remembering me at that age just the same , hair pulled back with satin bows and the milk in glass bottles we had ha. The image of the girls cooking in white apron cuffs and hat made me wince. We had to make them ourselves in needlecraft class, me being hopeless at needlecraft made the teacher very angry and lost count of how many times my knuckles were rapped with ruler!! In the end after having broke sewing machine after sewing machine she wouldn't have me in the class sent me off to the art class which I loved and somebody else finished my cookery outfit for me ha ha. Sorry me rambling on but this is what these old videos do isn't it ,makes you remember mostly happy a few not so but all in all happy days....
Posted By: granny Re: Wallasey Charter Jubilee Year 1960 - 21st Aug 2017 10:02pm

Fabulous video.

All that going on and only about 5 years after rationing finished !
Thanks for posting, Petronell.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral