Forums
Posted By: yoller Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 2:12pm
Old-fashioned sweets have made a big comeback in recent years - sherbet lemons, fruit salads, flying saucers, etc. But does anyone remember a variety of mixed sweets that were called ‘green peas, fat ducks and new potatoes’?

As far as I recall, they came in a big jar (like most sweets back then) and were sold by weight - two ounces, a quarter, and so on. As the name suggests, they were shaped like peas, ducks and potatoes.

I can’t remember anything more about them, except a vague recollection of them being sold in a shop in Birkenhead Market in the mid 1950s - early 1960s.

I’ve Googled them and looked on retro sweets websites, but can find no trace of them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 2:56pm
Yoller!!! Not that iam that old ( honest) but never ever heard of them. With you not finding any trace either, do you think you were dreaming?;
Posted By: yoller Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 3:29pm
It did occur to me that I might be imagining them, but the name sticks in my mind. Maybe I'm getting them mixed up with some other sweets - there were so many lovely ones around back then.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 3:37pm
Hi Yoller, when I was a lad I used to serves in my Nan's sweet shop in Union Street, Tranmere, I thought she sold every kind of sweet but I don't recall the sweets you mention, perhaps the shop you went to made their own sweets on site.
Posted By: granny Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 3:53pm
YES, Yoller. I can remember them. ‘green peas, fat ducks and new potatoes’, in fact it's not so long ago that I asked someone else if they remembered them.

We used to pretend play tea parties with them, so it would probably have been mid to late 50's. If Lud can't remember them, he must be older than us and suffering amnesia. All the sweet shops sold them !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 4:05pm
Oh its granny and yoller reminicing, let's leave them to it now they've found each other.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 4:19pm
I think you are getting them confused with school dinners .
Posted By: granny Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 5:05pm
You must have gone to a posh School Salmon, there was never 'duck' on our school dinner menu. Lucky you smile
Posted By: yoller Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 5:40pm
Thanks for the confirmation that they did exist, Granny. It means I'm not going senile just yet!

I wonder if they were a locally-made sweet, which might explain why they're not available today on these retro websites?

I can't remember what they tasted like, but I'd love to find out again.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 6:10pm
They are mentioned in both of these links, so perhaps not a local produce.

http://historyofthorne.com/publications/keelgirl.html

http://fozyks.blogspot.co.uk/2004/05/thoughts-from-4th-flour-november-1965.html
Posted By: yoller Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 6:41pm
Thanks for those links, diggingdeeper - really interesting and helpful.

The description of the sweets from the Thorne website gives us a great idea of what they looked like ...'the ducks were white sweets, shaped like ducks, the peas were small round green sweets like coloured pills and the potatoes were oval pieces of marzipan dipped in cocoa to make them brown.'

The writer is talking about buying them as a young girl in about 1907, so they were obviously around for quite a while after that. And, as you say, they don't seem to have been local to Wirral.

The young girl bought a ha'porth - a halfpenny worth. A halfpenny wouldn't have got you any weighed-out sweets when I was a kid in the mid-1950s (most sweets seemed to be sixpence a quarter). But it was enough for four Fruit Salads or Black Jacks ... and they were delicious.
Posted By: granny Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 7:08pm
I grew up in Liverpool, but I vaguely remember them being like a candy. I don't remember the potatoes being dusted in cocoa but they may have changed 50 years on.
I do remember marzipan sweets we made at home as children and dusting those in cocoa powder.
Thanks DD, just makes all the doubting Thomas's realise that Yoller and I are not so daft as they would like us to be. grin

Tea cakes(sweets) were like a flat toasted coconut, and tiger nuts. Yummy !
Posted By: granny Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 7:33pm

See what you can find here. I have found the 'tiger nuts'

The oldest sweet shop in England/world

https://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 9:16pm
When I was a tiddler in Kent there used to be a van that came round selling dinners like peas potatos and faggots . Faggots also known in some places as savoury ducks.so the sweets may have copied that. Think you can still get the "ducks" in some butchers--just a big meatball with herbs
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 17th Feb 2016 10:27pm
No, I still can't remember them, perhaps I couldn't see them in my Nan's shop because the gas mantle needed changing.
Posted By: conan Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 18th Feb 2016 10:34am
I can remember spam fritters, lumpy grey mash and liver full of elastic bands.
Hang on I might be getting mixed up with school dinners too lol.
Posted By: venice Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 18th Feb 2016 11:17am
Ah, spam fritters! My mums were the tastiest thing on gods earth! Yes I remember the peas and potatoes, but not the duck ones.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 18th Feb 2016 11:39am
Originally Posted by granny
You must have gone to a posh School Salmon, there was never 'duck' on our school dinner menu. Lucky you smile
This made me Chuckle
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 19th Feb 2016 12:16pm
Never heard of peas, ducks and potatoes - though marzipan rolled in cocoa would get my vote! Remember tiger nuts - strange little things. I sometimes yearn for Olde English Spangles, with their muddy colours and interesting flavours. One of the oldest things I remember - which is still available! - is the edible necklace (or bracelet). They must have been one of the most unhygienic sweets, as they were played with so much before being eaten.
Posted By: Dotdl Re: Who remembers these old sweets? - 25th Jul 2016 9:15pm
I remember sweet fish. They were hard, fish shaped and sugar coated. Remember buying them in the outside part of the market
© Wirral-Wikiwirral