Forums
Posted By: sonylegs Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 1:29am
Anyone remember one of these at Seacombe Ferry, produce a Name Tag out of copper. I think it cost a penny in those days.

Attached picture Name stamping machine.jpg
Posted By: Dilly Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 7:27am
I remember it well, I think they also had one later on that done them in aluminium. Oh those days hanging around the Ferry and Wongs café. smile
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 8:14am
Still modern ones around today using a new penny
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 8:46am
There was one on the south end of the Princes Landing Stage for years and another on the L'pool bound platform of Birkenhead Central Sta. I must admit to not remembering copper strip at all - only aluminium. BAC also made the machines that dispensed Cadburys Chocolate Bars. I think they were a tanner a bar in real money! grin
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 10:23am
Ha ha I remember them well.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 10:53am
Slightly off topic but does anyone remember cigarette vending machines situated on walls outside shops? I wonder how long they would last today.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 11:00am
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Slightly off topic but does anyone remember cigarette vending machines situated on walls outside shops? I wonder how long they would last today.

Yes I can even remember people having wooden ones in their houses, you could knock if you had the right change. Think they must have been on a bit of commission or maybe a free pack of fags smile
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 4:13pm
The only cig machine I remember was at The Crescent, corner of Moor Lane and Edge Lane Thornton Liverpool. I think it was 9s 11d for 10 fags and you put in 10 shillings and the penny change was stuck on the packet with sellotape. Also at the crescent was an Offy where we bought sherry at 79p bottle, Old England I think. I used to live down Edge Lane way many moons ago, by the Thre`penny Bit Church.

Attached picture cigs.jpg
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 4:28pm
remember these ?

Attached picture 563874_6fa4ecc7.jpg
Posted By: Dilly Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 5:31pm
Originally Posted by sonylegs
The only cig machine I remember was at The Crescent, corner of Moor Lane and Edge Lane Thornton Liverpool. I think it was 9s 11d for 10 fags and you put in 10 shillings and the penny change was stuck on the packet with sellotape. Also at the crescent was an Offy where we bought sherry at 79p bottle, Old England I think. I used to live down Edge Lane way many moons ago, by the Thre`penny Bit Church.

There used to be one outside the paper shop on Leasowe rd
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 5th Dec 2014 11:11pm
I remember the Leasowe Road one now, but as I recall it was always empty or maybe it was broken.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 6th Dec 2014 1:48pm
I think the shop was called Whites ?
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 6th Dec 2014 4:39pm
Hey sonleylegs,

Was the offy called Thornton Wines stores? If it was it belonged to my auntie who moved there after her husband died in the late sixties. They used to run the Bedford Hotel in Rock Ferry.
Posted By: cools Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 6th Dec 2014 4:53pm
That was known as Luke lees was it not? My old dads favourite haunt. It was quite rough if I remember right.
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 6th Dec 2014 5:04pm
Yeah Cools,

It was called Luke Lee's but it wasn't like that in the sixties smile
Posted By: cools Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 6th Dec 2014 5:19pm
Sorry Heswall I was not being rude it most prob was much later. My dad still loved it best beer around.
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 6th Dec 2014 6:32pm
Hee Hee, no offence taken cools smile
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 7th Dec 2014 12:47am
Originally Posted by Dilly
I think the shop was called Whites ?

Yep, it was Whites.

Attached picture hh.jpg
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 7th Dec 2014 1:24am
Originally Posted by Heswall1958
Hey sonleylegs,

Was the offy called Thornton Wines stores? If it was it belonged to my auntie who moved there after her husband died in the late sixties. They used to run the Bedford Hotel in Rock Ferry.

I cant remember, way to long ago and to many bottles of sherry lol. Just came to mind, the garage opposite was Tom England, closed down, now an Aldi.
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 7th Dec 2014 12:46pm
Yeah sonylegs, its deffo the same one - small world eh?
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 7th Dec 2014 11:41pm
There was a penny machine on the Wirral Platform at Central station in Liverpool (late 60s) and a cig machine in the front of Les (Len?) Turners shop on Moreten Cross, as well as a machine that sold cartons of milk (again the would be late 60s up to around 1975).
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 12:42pm
Originally Posted by ianbx1
There was a penny machine on the Wirral Platform at Central station in Liverpool (late 60s)

I remember one at Liverpool Central High Level, next to the stairs down to the Mersey Railway line. This was in the early 1950's
Posted By: yoller Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 3:33pm
There used to be a chocolate machine and cigarette machine on the floating pontoon ferry terminal at the Pier Head in Liverpool, near where you stepped off the boat from Woodside. Nearby was a booth, similar to today's photo booths, that let you make your own vinyl record - the only one I ever saw. It was definitely there about 1964.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 3:43pm
I remember the record one too. Do you remember the Naval/Sea mine that was painted red, I`m sure it was as Seacombe Ferry or was it The Pier Head? Like this one but all red.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dilly Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 3:43pm
Originally Posted by yoller
There used to be a chocolate machine and cigarette machine on the floating pontoon ferry terminal at the Pier Head in Liverpool, near where you stepped off the boat from Woodside. Nearby was a booth, similar to today's photo booths, that let you make your own vinyl record - the only one I ever saw. It was definitely there about 1964.

Yes I remember the floppy discs smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 4:44pm
Originally Posted by sonylegs
I remember the record one too. Do you remember the Naval/Sea mine that was painted red, I`m sure it was as Seacombe Ferry or was it The Pier Head? Like this one but all red.
[Linked Image]

I remember one at Seacombe Ferry. Wasn't it a collecting box for donations to the RNLI ? Maybe they all were ?
Posted By: yoller Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 7:09pm
Another vending machine you don't see much of on the streets these days is the hot and cold drinks dispenser. This was a really impressive piece of technology back in that far-off, pre-computer age.

The machine I particularly remember was at the side of Olivieri's cafe near Hamilton Square Station in Birkenhead. It was a big, brightly-lit, blue-painted, futuristic monolith that was something of a landmark and a meeting place (it wouldn't last five minutes these days).

I think it cost sixpence per drink and you could get orange juice, cola, tea, coffee, Bovril, etc. After you put your money in, a plastic cup clunked into the receptacle, followed by your chosen drink gushing out of a spout. The trouble was, the spout was obviously never fully cleaned and the drinks always seemed to be slightly mixed. Mind you, Bovril-flavoured orange juice with a hint of coffee can be quite moreish.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 7:29pm
And the chewy machines

Attached picture chew.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 7:38pm
The chewy machines.... happy days. The tuck shop around the corner from my place of learning had a similar machine. You bunged a penny in and got your packet of Beech Nut. The added bonus was that when an arrow engraved on the side knob was pointed forward - you got TWO packets for a penny. Needless to say, you studied the knob orientation and waited to pounce, moving in with sharpened elbows !

A simple pleasure!
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Seacombe Ferry Stamp Machine - 8th Dec 2014 7:51pm
What a memory, I forgot about the buy one get one free pointer.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral