Forums
Posted By: homeraway Tranmere Water Tower - 17th Dec 2012 11:24am
Hi
new to this wikiwirral forum

I am looking for information on the Tranmere Water Tower which used to be on the corner of Hawthorne Road, Green Way Road.
I used to live close by and when it was demolished some years ago I managed to obtain with agreement from the demolition contractor, the engineers plaque that was bolted to the main water storage tank as a souvenir with the build date and name of engineers etc.
I have some photographs of the tower being demolished but would like to discover more on its history.

if anyone on here can point me to books or preferred web pages on the topic that would be great.
thanks homer
Posted By: flybynight Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 17th Dec 2012 12:35pm
Hi
I am sure it was Stuart rd , as I was born and lived in Stuart for 20 years or so, I remember it well , the reservoir for the water was in Stuart , we used to regularly jump the wall and walk around it . Saying that the grassed side did go right over to hawthorn. Hope you find out some info as I would like to read up on it myself .
Posted By: homeraway Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 17th Dec 2012 12:43pm
flybnight
yeah it was between stuart road and hawthorne road
i will post up the pic of plaque in the next few days just for interest and maybe some of the demolition pics
Posted By: gopher Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 17th Dec 2012 2:48pm
http://www.oldwirral.com/tranmere_water.html
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 18th Dec 2012 3:50am
I lived at the bottom of Hawthorne road and for some reason the old water tower used to scare me as a child. I put a post on here a while back too about the tower asking if anyone had any history on it but there doesn't seem to be much at all.
Would love to see the pics of it being demolished that you said you have, please smile
Posted By: homeraway Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 18th Dec 2012 2:12pm

some photos of the water tower during its demolition

Description: Tranmere water tower during its demolition late 1979-1980
Attached picture Image_(23)aaa.jpg

Description: storage tank at water tower - its the plaque on the wall that I still have
Attached picture Image_(72).jpg

Description: view from top of water tower looking over to Tranmere Rovers ground
Attached picture Image_(24).jpg
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 1:41am
Nice photos there. I can't think why I don't remember the demolition back in 1979 as I'd only would only have been 17 at the time and still lived in Hawthorne Rd. I suppose at that age I must have been more interested in boys than the water tower coming down wink
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 2:23am
The first photo looks like Wallasey
Water Tower in Mill Lane Wallasey
before it lost its top tank. That
tower is still there.

I wonder if the same guy designed both?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 11:12am
Originally Posted by Wally1
The first photo looks like Wallasey
Water Tower in Mill Lane Wallasey
before it lost its top tank. That
tower is still there.

I wonder if the same guy designed both?

Almost certainly a standard design.
Posted By: Rambo Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 11:25am
I think that the top picture actually is Liscard. Compare it with this other pic from elsewhere on this site, they are identical. Then compare the two water tanks, they are of different construction, the roofs are different and so are the round plates on them.
Just my opinion but can anyone else see it?

Description: Liscard Tower
Attached picture 126.jpg
Posted By: homeraway Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 11:58am
hi,

Definitely Tranmere water tower as I took all these photos myself back in the day. We did them in black and white just to be artistic although wish now I had done colour and would have been easy today to convert to b&w

Yeah suspect it was a standard design, I will be looking to research the civil engineer and architect at some point.
I keep meaning to go up and have a look at the one in Liscard as its still there, is it just lying empty then?

I have some other bits of memorabilia from the water tower including one of the big round plate washers off the tank - comes in useful as a great parasol stand :-)
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 1:39pm
The start of the construction work on Tranmere Waterworks was reported in the Liverpool Mercury of 25th June 1861. All the main work had been completed by the end of February the following year.

Attached picture Tranmere_Waterworks_25-06-1861.JPG
Posted By: homeraway Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 2:56pm
marty99fred

wow that's a great find many thanks.
Quite a detailed press cutting on the proceedings.
Interesting to see that even back then there was plenty of bickering going on between councils and other establishments and on costs etc. :-)

I wish I had seen this article back in the day it was being demolished I would have gone looking for the time capsule thing they talk about, sadly that's well buried now as the stone work from the tower was used to fill in the deep reservoir.

thanks again for finding that one.

Posted By: chriskay Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 4:36pm
Originally Posted by Rambo
I think that the top picture actually is Liscard. Compare it with this other pic from elsewhere on this site, they are identical. Then compare the two water tanks, they are of different construction, the roofs are different and so are the round plates on them.
Just my opinion but can anyone else see it?

I agree. The number of round discs is different, as is the design.
In the top picture there are five roof supports, three double and two single to a side and in the second picture there are six, four double and two single.
@homeraway, are you sure you've not slipped in a Liscard one by mistake?
Posted By: homeraway Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 5:07pm
hi guys

ah right i see what you are looking at now.

I need to explain in more detail.

The first picture is of the actual tower with tank on top.

The second picture is still tranmere water tower but its actually of the second storage tank which was adjacent to the tower but serving the reservoir storage area which was deep into the ground. You can see in the picture where the brick arches used to be.

I hadn't realised that you had thought it was the same storage tank.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 6:38pm
Originally Posted by homeraway
hi guys

ah right i see what you are looking at now.

I need to explain in more detail.

The first picture is of the actual tower with tank on top.

The second picture is still tranmere water tower but its actually of the second storage tank which was adjacent to the tower but serving the reservoir storage area which was deep into the ground. You can see in the picture where the brick arches used to be.

I hadn't realised that you had thought it was the same storage tank.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.
Posted By: Rambo Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 8:02pm
Makes total sense now. Using one of Chrikay's own pictures from a couple of years ago showing the Tranmere Tower proves your point Homer.

Description: Tower
Attached picture Tranmere Water Tower.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 8:26pm
The above newspaper cutting says "...landmark in the area for more than 30 years". If it was completed in 1862 and the cutting is dated 1980 then er...Mmmm. ermmm.

Yes, it IS more than 30 years. 118 years actually. Well 118 is more than 30 so that's OK then ???? Close enough !
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 9:00pm
Is there a thread on here about the Liscard (Mill Lane) water tower? I've just done a search and can't see one but I'm sure I remember one.

Anyway, my question was - which was built first, the Tranmere tower or the Liscard one?
Posted By: Rambo Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 9:16pm
All I could find;

Click me.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 9:53pm
Originally Posted by Rambo
All I could find;

Click me.

Thanks for that - I'd even posted a reply! Interested to see that the Liscard one predates the Tranmere one - by a year.
Posted By: Rambo Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 19th Dec 2012 10:03pm
And is still standing!
Posted By: homeraway Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 21st Dec 2012 5:00pm
Hi all

Managed to sort a picture out of the original plaque that was on the side of the supply tank in the second picture.
Includes the engineer Richardson who was mentioned in the press cutting from 1861 must have taken them sometime to complete it then since the plaque shows 1882.

Description: plaque from Tranmere water tower
Attached picture IMG_6773a.jpg
Posted By: chris58 Re: Tranmere Water Tower - 21st Dec 2012 6:51pm
Great newspaper article and photos
© Wirral-Wikiwirral