Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 7:43am

This is a photo of the munitions workshops that were under the Palace indoor fair in New Brighton. If I'm not mistaken, this later became the Creep nightclub

Attached picture 101munitions.jpg
Posted By: Tatey Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 8:12am
Part of it did indeed become The Creep Inn. There is some video of a tour guided by Dave Wilkie on "You Tube" if you have not seen it before.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 9:42am
Not seen it. Nice one Tatey
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 9:59am
What's up with the res? I'm having to squint over here.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 10:11am
Get closer to the screen...
Posted By: carol Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 10:38am
I have got a similar photo as my mum worked there during the war. I sent a copy to the Memories Corner in the Wirral News but they weren't interested !!! This was a couple of years ago when they were asking for memories of the war.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 11:10am
Bloody morons aren't they. Post it on here Carol
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 12:28pm
ive got a pair of brass candlestick holders which were apparantly made here and smuggled out!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 12:40pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
What's up with the res? I'm having to squint over here.

Your Mother did warn you about doing that!
seeyu
Posted By: Norton Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 12:40pm
Notice the flourescent lights? Apparently this was the first use of flourescent lighting in the UK, with the lights having been brought in by the Americans to assist the working enviroment.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 1:46pm
Well there's summat new I've learned today. Nice one Norton
Posted By: carol Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 2:33pm
Sorry Pablo, don't know how to do this !!
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 2:51pm
Its not changed to much since then mate, Pablo, this is the vid
Tatey was on about

[youtube]AERg_hNSjHM[/youtube]
Posted By: Norton Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 3:08pm
Hi carol, welcome to WikiWirral.

If you want to upload a picture, you need to know where it is on your pc first. I use a seperate folder that holds the copies that I want to upload. Check the file size, as there is a limit of 2 Mb per upload. Somewhere between 100kb and 400kb usually produces a decent image. Even though it may not seem to appear full sized at first, using control and + will enlarge it for the reader.

Now, go to the 'reply' button on the topic you are replying to. (Note, you can't post a picture with the 'quick reply' box.) When you hit 'reply', a pop-up screen appears for you to enter your text. When you have done that, look a little below the text box and it says 'Upload Manager'. Clicking this will bring up another box, with instructions on how to use it. From here, using the 'Browse' button in it, go to the folder and file that you selected to upload, just like in Explorer, and click the file. It will be added, and you can add a caption, choose to add another etc. When done, click done. Preview your message if required (note - pictures not shown in preview), then post it using the 'Submit' button as normal.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Posted By: carol Re: Under the Fair - 19th Apr 2012 6:05pm
Loved the video Nelzy. Reminds me of the old Cavern.

Thanks Norton for your advice. Will see what I can do.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 8:30am
Originally Posted by carol
Sorry Pablo, don't know how to do this !!

Try uploading to Photobucket or Imageshack. They are both free and I think you'll find it easier to upload.

Hope that's of help
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 9:43am
Munitions workers at New Brighton between shifts in 1943, courtesy of the IWM website. Not sure that the wall painting at left is very PC...

Attached picture New_Brighton_1943.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 11:26am
More pics can be found here.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 11:46am
Can somebody tell me why they had women operating on/producing heavy ammunition rounds?
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 11:53am
No worries Carol, glad to help smile
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 11:57am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Can somebody tell me why they had women operating on/producing heavy ammunition rounds?

Because the men where mostly at the front line.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 11:58am

I think its because the majority of blokes were either fighting and those unfit enough would be acting as home gaurd, using women for jobs formerly carried out by males lessened the strain on on things enabling more men to be on the front line so to speak.

I think this was instrumental in the way society saw women and was the start of women finding their own independance and not being not so reliant on the men.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 12:23pm

Hardly heavy. A typical 20mm cannon bullet weighed about 100 grams and I guess the whole cartridge not more than 250 grams.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 2:10pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

Hardly heavy. A typical 20mm cannon bullet weighed about 100 grams and I guess the whole cartridge not more than 250 grams.

Heavy in bulk, besides I wasn't on about weight Chris.

Would of thought the ladies would of been making clothes.

Has some really good history behind those tunnels.

Thanks for posting, great thread happy
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 2:26pm
Apart from the shortage of men, there was a propoganda element as well.

Wars can be lost when the people (not the government) have had enough. Getting the people active in the war effort is a way of keeping them "on side".
Posted By: jimbob Re: Under the Fair - 20th Apr 2012 8:19pm
there was not much need for propoganda when it came to the majority of people doing there bit for the war efort. Unless you where one of those would have welcome Hitler with open arms given the chance. It was not just in the 2nd world war that women worked in the munitions factories and every other industry apart from possible the coal mines.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral