Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Birkenhead Tram - 19th Apr 2012 7:33am
[Linked Image]

Old tram in Birkenhead, no date. The front screen on this particular tram had a new design to help with the air flow. I wonder if it went aany faster after that
Posted By: Norton Re: Birkenhead Tram - 19th Apr 2012 11:24am
This shot was just for display. The screen has not been fixed in place yet and is being held up in position by someone on the platform. Note the fingers along the edge.

I think this one is one they bought, to try. Others were made-up in the tram workshops, but only a few trams were fitted with them.

It didn't matter about making them go faster, as the authorities had them limited to only 8 mph, which was increased to 10 or 12 mph at a later date.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Birkenhead Tram - 19th Apr 2012 11:58am
You've got bloody good eyes there Norton. How can you see that? Good comments though
Posted By: Norton Re: Birkenhead Tram - 19th Apr 2012 1:07pm
The same picture appears in 'The Tramways of Birkenhead and Wallasey' by Maund & Jenkins.

The caption for it reads -
"Experimental windscreens were fitted to two [tram]cars late in 1913. The one used on No. 28 was similar to those used in Aberdeen (note the hand holding the screen in position.) The second was designed and made at Laird St. depot and fitted to No. 25. (Courtesy E. Gray)"

To be honest, I read it in the text first, then looked more closely at the picture.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Birkenhead Tram - 19th Apr 2012 1:47pm
Nice one Norton
© Wirral-Wikiwirral