Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 4:31pm

Mersey Tunnel Cops. No date. Anyone else remember those old Land Rovers?

Attached picture aatunnelcops.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 4:39pm
Yep. I just about remember them. If I recall, the bodies were modified from standard by a firm of coachbuilders in Bebington (??)who's name escapes me. They had a transfer on them with the details.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 4:41pm
I never knew that. Nice one Pinz
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 4:47pm
Noel Lacey !!! Mr Google says they are still around. Village Road, Higher Beb.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 4:48pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Noel Lacey !!!

Thought he was a sodding singer...
Posted By: petethebike Re: Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 5:13pm
They look like series 2 or 2a Landrovers.That would date them from late '50s to late '60s.I suspect the photo is from the early part of that period.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 5:19pm
Looking at the photo's again, is the one on the right taken in the car park of the Acorn Pub? It would tie in with the coach builder being "round the corner" maybe.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 5:40pm
Looking at the photo's again, is the one on the right taken in the car park of the Acorn Pub? It would tie in with the coach builder being "round the corner" maybe.

Well spotted Pinz. I think you are bang on there
Posted By: jimbob Re: Tunnel Cops - 14th Dec 2011 7:42pm
I remember the tunnel police using those landrovers. One of the meeting places for a crowd i use to knock around with was out side the letters pub on the corner of St Mary's gate at the top of chester street and the tunnell police use to give the flat back wagon drivers a hard time of an evening as the came out of the tunnel and onto the A41. Not that I am old just a senior citizen. that was during the mid 50s
Posted By: Norton Re: Tunnel Cops - 15th Dec 2011 2:52am
I remember them being red, (in fact Dinky Toys made a model of them) and I remember them being light cream, but I don't remember them being light cream with red wings. In the back were ropes and chains and things for breakdowns, but they did have one with a crane on the back.
Other vehicle types have come and gone, including Ford Transits and Galaxy's, but the Land Rover in various forms was the vehicle of choice for many years.
Here are some of them...

Attached picture Tunnel940232.jpg

Description: This preserved example is thought to be ex-tunnel. It carries a label 'Coachbuilt by Ian Cooke'.
Attached picture TunnelF081661.jpg

Description: Land Rover's (or Defenders) can pull most things - but this is a bit unusual.
Attached picture Tunnel940402.jpg

Description: More Land Rovers.
Attached picture TunnelF0934.jpg

Description: Ford Galaxy. I've seen these with over 100,000 miles on the clock and still in service.
Attached picture TunnelF0930.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tunnel Cops - 15th Dec 2011 9:58am
A friend of mine had a Fordson van similar to the one shown above. He offered me a drive of it. Never been so up tight for years. The accelerator was in the middle! ie. L to R... Clutch. Accelerator. Brake. NOT recommended!. Another fun thing was the windscreen wipers were vacuum operated off the inlet manifold. Put your foot down (on the correct pedal hopefully)and the wipers almost stopped. Real funny in heavy rain. Mmmm. They don't make 'em like that any more.. Thank God!
Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Tunnel Cops - 15th Dec 2011 10:26am
I recall in the 60's, I blew the motor in an Issetta bubble car in Huyton and borrowed a car to tow it back to Hoylake. The car that I had borrowed had a dicky petrol pump and whilst towing the bubble through the tunnel it packed up and I had to get the tunnel police to tow me out. When I got out of the tunnel the cop asked if I new the fellow in the bubble waiting behind me and he was most upset to learn he had towed 2 vehicles out together----not strictly legal----and he wanted to charge me double towing fee----no way!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Tunnel Cops - 15th Dec 2011 10:52am
Another fun thing was the windscreen wipers were vacuum operated off the inlet manifold. Put your foot down (on the correct pedal hopefully)and the wipers almost stopped. Real funny in heavy rain. Mmmm. They don't make 'em like that any more.. Thank God!

Ah, yes, those wipers. Am I right that only Ford used that system?
Posted By: Robert86 Re: Tunnel Cops - 16th Dec 2011 5:40pm
Noel Lacey !!! Mr Google says they are still around. Village Road, Higher Beb.

Lacey's on Village Road went a few years ago, there's houses there now. Not sure if they relocated or closed completely.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Tunnel Cops - 16th Dec 2011 8:39pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Another fun thing was the windscreen wipers were vacuum operated off the inlet manifold. Put your foot down (on the correct pedal hopefully)and the wipers almost stopped. Real funny in heavy rain. Mmmm. They don't make 'em like that any more.. Thank God!

Ah, yes, those wipers. Am I right that only Ford used that system?

Thats true, my old Anglia 100E had them fitted, so many were converted later tho, but lucky me, mine wernt!!!
Posted By: marzie Re: Tunnel Cops - 4th Jan 2012 11:48pm
i rember those flat back lorries going through the tunnel with about forty or so lairds workers from liverpool every morning, when the lorries stopped to pay they would all pile on. same thing when their shift finished.i think the police just turned a blind eye to it.
Posted By: joney Re: Tunnel Cops - 6th May 2012 3:03pm
The 10cwt Ford van that you drove must have been a very early model with the accelerator in the middle I do remember them as I worked at Herrons, they were modified later to normal layout'
© Wirral-Wikiwirral