Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Grange Road - 22nd Sep 2011 11:35am

Came across this old postcard of Grange Road. Don't know if it's been posted before, but I couldn't find one

Attached picture Mer046.jpg
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Grange Road - 22nd Sep 2011 2:44pm
Ahh,i remember Grange Rd when it 'was'a road! no precinct,no pyramids,just a long road,those were the days!!!
oh and the old market!
Posted By: pablo42 Old Grange Road - 11th Apr 2012 9:45am

A postcard of Old Grange Road, no date. I don't recognise anything here

Attached picture 000grangsrd2.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Old Grange Road - 11th Apr 2012 9:46am

Grange Road, loooks like an early fifties shot

Attached picture 000grangerd.jpg
Posted By: joney Re: Old Grange Road - 11th May 2012 2:04pm
The shop on the right in the first picture looks like the Maypole.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old Grange Road - 11th May 2012 3:18pm
Originally Posted by joney
The shop on the right in the first picture looks like the Maypole.

Quite right; their delivery cart is there.
Posted By: chris58 Re: Old Grange Road - 11th May 2012 6:18pm
Was the maypole at the top on the right? Next door to the old bank I think it's hamiltons bar?
Posted By: Norton Re: Old Grange Road - 11th May 2012 10:15pm
Yes. If you walk down from Charing Cross towards Pykes on the corner of Vincent Street, then it's a bit further down the block.
It is/was not next to the old Midland Bank at Charing Cross, which is now called Hamiltons.
Posted By: joney Re: Old Grange Road - 12th May 2012 10:00am
The Maypole managers name was Huxley. My sister worked there and during the war managed the Maypole in Prenton.
Posted By: Shroppie_Frank Re: Old Grange Road - 22nd Jan 2013 12:47pm
Does anyone remember a Spiritualist Church in Grange Road? I've seen references to a Baptist Church. It would have been, as far as I can remember (60years ago!)quite a way down on the left (coming from Charing Cross)
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Grange Road - 22nd Jan 2013 3:00pm
Don't know of one in Grange Road, but there was one in Oliver Street over the road from back of Allansons/Beatties/House of Fraser 1950s/60s

click

Attached picture Spiritualist_Church.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old Grange Road - 22nd Jan 2013 3:30pm
I don't think there was one actually on Grange Road, but there was an old chapel at the bottom end of Oliver Street that was in use as a Spiritualist Church in the 1960s. I vaguely remember it being visible at the bottom end of Prince's Place which ran down the west end of Beatties Store almost opposite St Werburgh's, as you can see from my photo, which Derek has kindly reposted.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old Grange Road - 22nd Jan 2013 3:43pm
Originally Posted by Shroppie_Frank
Does anyone remember a Spiritualist Church in Grange Road? I've seen references to a Baptist Church. It would have been, as far as I can remember (60years ago!)quite a way down on the left (coming from Charing Cross)

Welcome to a fellow Salopian. Here's a 1911 O.S. map tying up with the first photo of this thread. The first building on the left is the old YMCA and just left of that you can see the railings of the Baptist church. Opposite the YMCA you can see the school which is on the map. Don't remember a Spiritualist Church.

Attached picture Grange Rd..jpg
Posted By: andym Re: Grange Road - 26th Jan 2013 3:51pm
Hi, hope these may be of some interest (as long as I can work out how to upload them!)

Attached picture img387.jpg
Attached picture img389.jpg
Attached picture img397.jpg
Attached picture img396.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral