Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Birkenhead Freemasons - 21st Oct 2009 4:28pm

http://www.oliverst.org.uk/articles.asp

I didn't know this place existed and is still used
Don't know what freemasons aims are
Rumour was a club for "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" or Illuminati and world domination

William Hesketh Lever, later to become the 1st Viscount Leverhulme and Junior Grand Warden of the United Grand Lodge of England, is noted for being the benefactor of many causes not least his construction of Port Sunlight Village, for the workers at his soap-making business.

He was a founder of a number of Lodges, two of which bear his name: William Hesketh Lever Lodge No. 2916 and Leverhulme Lodge No. 4438. When building the Lady Lever Art Gallery in Port Sunlight as a memorial to his wife, incorporated within it a purpose-made and very elegant Lodge room which continued in use until the 1980's.

Lever gave the land at Oliver Street, free of all Covenants or encumbrances to the Birkenhead Masonic Hall Limited, for the erection of a Masonic meeting place.

The cost of erecting the actual building was raised in various ways by the then Brethren who were to eventually occupy it, and the main Temple was fully fitted and decorated with wood imported by Lever from his African estates.

Attached picture Freemasons Guild hall resized.jpg
Attached picture Freemasons Guild hall2 resized.jpg
Attached picture Freemasons Guild hall3 resized.jpg
Attached picture Freemasons Guild hall4 resized.jpg
Posted By: philmch Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 21st Oct 2009 5:11pm
As far as I know, the current Masonic Lodge for Birkenhead is on Clifton Rd.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 21st Oct 2009 5:40pm
^ Yes, there's a big lodge on that hill near the top.
Posted By: philmch Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 21st Oct 2009 6:03pm
I should add that the Masonic Lodge is used for official trouser-rolling type business whereas the Masonic Hall is used for informal and social events. I'd bet that the latter is still in use.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 21st Oct 2009 6:03pm
spoke to old chap in Grange rd on Sunday
He told me he had gone to a dinner there last year and also they had to open the Grange rd entrance (alleyway by Halifax/Waterstone where a guy has a small stall) for wheelchair access
Posted By: DavidB Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 21st Oct 2009 8:38pm
My dad went there with my uncle. I've never asked, but he's definitely not the type to arse about, so I doubt anything much like that happens, I'll ask him.
Posted By: nestonlad Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 9:16am
It is still used for lodge meetings,i am a member of one of the lodges there.They do a lot of fund raising for local charities and a lot of the myths that surround freemasonry have been made up by people who really haven't got a clue or have got an ulterior motive for doing so
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 9:40am
In some jobs though it did pay to be a Mason if you wanted to get on. That cannot be denied and is well documented. Knew several Masons throughout my working life and it certainly didn't do their promotion prospects any harm. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 10:03am
Had a mate who was told to join or he wouldn't get promoted, nothing new in that. I could never understand why they kept it so secretive, I know through him they do good charitable work etc, What sometimes annoyed me was, certain people would get on and it had nothing to do with ability.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 10:58am
The Wallasey Lodge of the Masons is situated on Manor Road and dates to 1911.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 11:02am
Birkenhead Oliver st Freemasons
Is it only open on certain days for functions etc
Could a non member go in anytime for a pint and a nose around
I would like to see what it's like inside
Posted By: nestonlad Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 12:27pm
Derek I will find out for you,i'm sure something can be arranged as freemasonry is trying to be a lot more open nowadays.The temple is stunning but i'm not sure they would allow non masons access.In answer to an earlier question one of the reasons masonery became more secretive was that known freemasons in germany in the nazi era were sent to the concentration camps alongside the jewish and gypsy communities
Posted By: philmch Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 1:14pm
Originally Posted by nestonlad
It is still used for lodge meetings,i am a member of one of the lodges there.They do a lot of fund raising for local charities and a lot of the myths that surround freemasonry have been made up by people who really haven't got a clue or have got an ulterior motive for doing so

I agree and I'm not a Mason btw. There was a very good programme about the Masons on Channel 5 last night. Their history is fascinating. It's idiots like David Icke who are demonising them. Their rites and rituals might look strange to outsiders but so do those of Roman Catholicism. And I've nothing against Catholics either.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 1:18pm
Originally Posted by nestonlad
Derek I will find out for you,i'm sure something can be arranged as freemasonry is trying to be a lot more open nowadays.The temple is stunning but i'm not sure they would allow non masons access.In answer to an earlier question one of the reasons masonery became more secretive was that known freemasons in germany in the nazi era were sent to the concentration camps alongside the jewish and gypsy communities

Our old mate Adolf even had them earmarked for when he took UK over. It's because the secret signs etc could be used for underground organisations (that'll get Robbo interested). The Buffaloes were another crowd he had plans for because they have signs and passwords as well.
Posted By: philmch Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 1:37pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot

Our old mate Adolf even had them earmarked for when he took UK over. It's because the secret signs etc could be used for underground organisations (that'll get Robbo interested). The Buffaloes were another crowd he had plans for because they have signs and passwords as well.

Hitler had it in for them as he was convinced that the Illuminati was a conspiracy of the Jews and Masons. Icke is still a believer in this sort of twaddle except he's added his own theory that Masons are also shapeshifters with reptilian blood. He ought to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 1:51pm
I always thought it was bosses who were shapeshifters and had reptilian blood. Icke pretty harmless though, just an absolute nutter, either that or he has found an easy way to make money.
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 22nd Oct 2009 3:22pm
I've bin in the masonic hall in Manor Road Wallasey, to play a gig for a Christmas Dinner. One of the members friends came up to us and said she was married to one of the composers of one of the songs we played and we are talking big time jazz legend here. So some interesting characters must go there. Otherwise nothing special to write home about the building itself just a few pics of members on the walls in their Masonic Collars and gloves. Really nice people!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 24th Apr 2010 8:12pm
Freemasons are just ordinary Men, Builders, Bricklayers, Engineers you name it. And a great bunch of guys! If you want to join all you have to do is ASK ONE!
Posted By: SilverFoxJaguar Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 24th Apr 2010 9:02pm
Played there myself in the 60s in a group called Faze five. Amen to Nigel as he says ordinary people just ASK ONE
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 25th Apr 2010 9:40am
interesting topic. did a lil bit of research into the masons a while back as seen a few of the alex jones conspiracy vids. some of the really high up mason's from lodge's like bohemian grove ARE bad people but no, in general mason's arent bad people (fair enough some of the later degree ceremony's r fookin wierd.) but it all came across wrong as the conspiracy believers think all masons are illuminati. but that's because the illuminati (not a bunch of guys thinking lets run the world. but a bunch of scientists who had to leave rome because the church werent happy with there beliefs.) joined masonic lodges in america germany and even some european country's. and they had a vision of sorting the way the world works out. giving people all the same rights. the right to believe whatever they want. the new world order. but over the generations and generations it did turn to controlling the world. some people don't believe it and think its just crazy conspiracy theory's but it is happening. and has been for years now. just watch aload of alex jones vid's he used to work for the government and now he is big time anti-american gov. there is a video of him (which i seen before it happened but didnt really believe it so it isnt editting or nothing.) predicting the 9/11 events. but not just a long shot like were gunna be attacked by terrorists. he says he has had some worrying information and believes that the american government are gunna plan a disaster to get the americans needing them more. and he is asking for help on the video. saying send me your emails saying we won't stand for this. and if anything were to happen to say the white house the world trade center or any other american building then we know r government has done this. even if they do blame it on some on line bin laden. we wont belive it. that was 3 months before 9/1. seems abit too coincidentl for my liking. and as for the reptillian bloodline. do a little looking into that too. thats just the name of their bloodline. all bloodlines have a name. but its just abit strange that alot of the merican presidents are in the reptillian bloodline. another thing that backs it all up too is a man called john todd. he was a 32nd degree mason but then found god and fled the lodge. he released all his info on the masons and about the masonic bible and then a few years later was put in a mental assylum by the american government when he had well known people vouching he werent crazy and got released a few years later and just vanished.
just have a lil read up.
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 26th Apr 2010 2:52pm
My grandad was very high up in the mason's. On the day he died the mason fellows came and took all his apron and gold medals and white gloves. The day on the crem the chapel was packed with mason and they even put a gold set square on his coffin. They also were very good to my nan money and help and around the house. Very good people. They say a mason lives his life like square true and stright. Theres lots of info on it. We used to take him every 1st thursday in the month for a "meeting" and yes they do have certain hand shakes etc. smile
Posted By: jedimindtricks Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 27th Apr 2010 10:30am
My great granddad was a grand master of a lodge in liverpool. He died before I was born so have no fascinating stories. All we had left was a engraved masonic cup. Which my dad took back to the lodge, which they were pleased about as they were trying to collect items of history regarding the lodge. He also got a guided tour of the hall.
Posted By: chuck Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 5th Jul 2011 9:27pm
If you have any questions about Freemasonry,.....Google cheshire masons.
I have been a Mason for nearly 20 years. A great charitable organisation with ceremonies that go back hundreds of years. Some of the greatest men in history have and are Masons. Walt Disney, Winston Churchill many of America's Presidents, Lincoln etc.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 5th Jul 2011 10:10pm
I am mentioned in the Wallasey Freemasons '100 Years of Freemasonry at The Wallasey Masonic Hall'.

Which is nice.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 5th Jul 2011 10:11pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
I am mentioned in the Wallasey Freemasons '100 Years of Freemasonry at The Wallasey Masonic Hall'.

Which is nice.

Are you the man that sells the Calypso drinks and the packets of Space Raiders?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 5th Jul 2011 10:15pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

Which is nice.

Are you the man that sells the Calypso drinks and the packets of Space Raiders?

No, though it sounds like a crackin' job! My website is used in parts for source of the book. That's my fame!

Right, I am off to get a drink and some crisps....
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 5th Jul 2011 10:17pm
Sorry - I just had this mental picture of masons in their special pinnies which they have all sat around painstakingly embroidering...approaching the special table of rite...then asking for corn crisps and a drink that you bite a hole in the bottom of and drink upside-down...
Posted By: Nigel Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 11th Jul 2011 8:52pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Sorry - I just had this mental picture of masons in their special pinnies which they have all sat around painstakingly embroidering...approaching the special table of rite...then asking for corn crisps and a drink that you bite a hole in the bottom of and drink upside-down...

I am affraid the reality is nothing like!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 11th Jul 2011 9:29pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Birkenhead Oliver st Freemasons
Is it only open on certain days for functions etc
Could a non member go in anytime for a pint and a nose around
I would like to see what it's like inside

Any chance of having a look Nigel.
I think NESTONLAD forgot the invite
Posted By: Nigel Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 12th Jul 2011 8:51am
You would have to phone the hall manager to arrange that Derek, I cant see why he would refuse personally. I know they have open days now and then.
Posted By: consho Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 12th Jul 2011 9:31am
In response to Rikki=-Robbo, anyone who does not believe the American government was behind the 9/11 disaster is living in cloud cuckoo land. A couple of years ago I went to a meeting in Birkenhead which was addressed by ONE OF THE CARETAKERS OF THE TWIN TOWERS who was there at the time.He said the buildings came down as the result of an Implosion not an Explosion, in other words the buildings were brought down by a device which was triggered from inside the buildings not as a result of the planes crashing into the higher floors..you only have to think back to JFKs assassination to understand the deviousness of the people who hold the real power in America..how convenient was Jack Ruby???????
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 26th Feb 2012 8:01pm
I am trying to arrange a visit to the Masonic Hall in Oliver Street
Is anyone else interested in going

1 derekdwc

Attached picture Freemasons_Guild_hall_resized.jpg
Posted By: rocks Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 26th Feb 2012 8:08pm
1 derekdwc
2 rocks
3 tc
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 26th Feb 2012 8:16pm
Originally Posted by rocks
1 derekdwc
2 rocks
3 tc
4 rudebox
5 plusone
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 26th Feb 2012 8:31pm
Great stuff Derek,yes please me plus a friend.
1 derekdwc
2 rocks
3 tc
4 rudebox
5 plusone
6 poodlepup
7 sue (poodle's friend)
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 30th Mar 2013 1:49pm
A bit out of date, but I'm still interested in going here if there are any members on wikiwirral who could arrange a visit. .
If so please pm me in confidence
Posted By: Nigel Re: Birkenhead Freemasons - 11th Apr 2013 5:27pm
Derek, Oliver street Masonic hall has now closed down completely.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral