Forums
Posted By: Mark Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 23rd Jul 2017 7:39am
I Will be amazed if there is no local flooding after the rain this morning.

As i looked over towards the coast I am sure I seen the starting of a twister... It grew in length and when back into the clouds just like the movies. Lasted no more than about 3 mins but it was spooky, this was at about 8am

I will attach an picture i took, it was more obvious with the real eyes as it was quite a distance away.

Description: Twister
Attached picture Screenshot_2017-07-23-08-37-00.png
The Wallasey end of the Penny bridge has got a massive lake right across the road.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 23rd Jul 2017 9:45am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The Wallasey end of the Penny bridge has got a massive lake right across the road.

Nothing has changed, 1957

Attached picture untitled.png
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 23rd Jul 2017 10:11am
Woodchurch road under rail bridge in prenton had its usual paddling pool waiting for the unsuspecting driver to hit it at speed and stall the engine.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 23rd Jul 2017 10:23am
How are the residents of reeds lane doing with all that run off from the new golf course ?
Posted By: Habdab Re: Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 23rd Jul 2017 10:35am
How can there be a regular flood at the Penny Bridge? What does it take to divert the flood water into the Dock, it's only 50 meters away!
I could have dug a relief channel myself with a tea spoon in the 60 years since the 1957 picture was taken.
They seem to be fitting some electric cables in the Bidston dock area and there is water coming over from there, but the drains along Wallasey Bridge Road are always blocking.

I guess there is little flow speed (because of low drop) to clear the muck that comes from the adjacent sites or perhaps the back-flow flaps are a bit over-specced on the outlets.

It was pretty flooded outside the tip as well but that cleared a lot when the rain stopped. Somebody was parked or broken down in one of the large puddles there.

At least my wheels are clean now.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 23rd Jul 2017 12:18pm
Originally Posted by Habdab
How can there be a regular flood at the Penny Bridge? What does it take to divert the flood water into the Dock, it's only 50 meters away!
I could have dug a relief channel myself with a tea spoon in the 60 years since the 1957 picture was taken.

Thought that myself but it may be that the puddle is actually lower than the dock water level or not low enough to get the fall on the drain..Would have thought the same at woodchurch as the river fender is a stones throw away. laws about discharging into streams and rivers may prevent that. c est la vie---dig out the wellies
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 23rd Jul 2017 4:29pm
At Tam O'Shanter Urban Farm the drains on the farmyard were overhwelmed and the animal house was flooded; there was no danger to the livestock, but an awful lot of sweeping out of water and barrowing away sodden bedding and ruined bales of hay and straw was needed - and an hour later the sun was cracking the flags! This was fortunate as it helped to dry the place out. Staff and volunteers worked tirelessly to get the animal house fit for the animals to go back into this afternoon. On the plus side, the duckpond level had been rather low - it isn't any more!
Posted By: granny Re: Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 28th Jul 2017 8:43am
Originally Posted by fish5133

Thought that myself but it may be that the puddle is actually lower than the dock water level or not low enough to get the fall on the drain..Would have thought the same at woodchurch as the river fender is a stones throw away. laws about discharging into streams and rivers may prevent that. c est la vie---dig out the wellies

Under the bridge at Woodchurch is never any different after heavy rain. What a nightmare as four lanes of traffic try to squeeze into two. I think it has been attempted fixing many times (or look at) but never any better. Another spot is under the bridge at Whitehouse Lane off Barnston Road, going through to Brimstage. Always flooded but nowhere to slightly avoid the depth of it. Why does it happen under bridges, has the road layout been dropped for some reason ?
Originally Posted by granny
Originally Posted by fish5133

Under the bridge at Woodchurch is never any different after heavy rain. What a nightmare as four lanes of traffic try to squeeze into two. I think it has been attempted fixing many times (or look at) but never any better. Another spot is under the bridge at Whitehouse Lane off Barnston Road, going through to Brimstage. Always flooded but nowhere to slightly avoid the depth of it. Why does it happen under bridges, has the road layout been dropped for some reason ?

The puddle is not below the dock water but some of the surrounding wasteland is above the road level. The dock was relatively waterproof, filling it in means the surface water has nowhere to go, even if soakaways were built in they would soon get clogged.

Railways and streams are both low gradient items so tend to be close together in height, railway routes often follow streams and rivers as it saves a massive amount of survey work when you have a naturally level-ish marker

With taller vehicles they need a taller bridge, its cheaper to reduce the height of the road.
Posted By: granny Re: Twister : Wirral Local Flooding 23/7/2017 - 28th Jul 2017 9:52pm

Thank you. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral