Forums
Posted By: Alonso Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 9:01pm
About three quarters of an hour ago I answered a loud knock to my front door. A fellow in his early twenties showed me a badge, telling me he was a hawker. He was polite at first and told me that he was from the north east. Judging by his accent he clearly was. I politely told him I didn't want to buy anything. He walked away clearly unhappy. I decided to have a look outside after he had left. He was with another guy when he saw me, stopped outside my front door and became abusive calling me an effing old c, telling me to get back indoors. He's about 5'10" short cropped hair, dark clothing carrying a rucksack. So if you come across him be aware...he's a nasty piece of work.

I called the police...well if he's nasty with little old me and I was polite to him, what's he going to be like to somebody not so polite.

The police operator (a lass) didn't know what a hawker was. I had to explain to her. Then I described him as 5'10" or 6.0" 'Well is it 5'10 or 6'0" there is a big difference.' she said.

I give up. I dunno which was worse his antics or her stupid arrogance. They must be miles away by now
Posted By: SirTankWelder Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 9:15pm
why would you answer the door to a cold caller ? Anyone who knocks on your door either wants to sell you something or to try extract money out of you,especially those bas***s from TV licensing who will never get a penny out of me !
Posted By: Sharpster66 Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 9:50pm
Thanks Alonso for bringing this to our attention. You have had a lucky escape and hopefully have stopped someone else getting abuse or far worse .
Posted By: Alonso Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 10:02pm
Originally Posted by SirTankWelder
why would you answer the door to a cold caller ? Anyone who knocks on your door either wants to sell you something or to try extract money out of you,especially those bas***s from TV licensing who will never get a penny out of me !

I thought it was my lad calling.
Posted By: Alonso Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 10:03pm
Originally Posted by Sharpster66
Thanks Alonso for bringing this to our attention. You have had a lucky escape and hopefully have stopped someone else getting abuse or far worse .

Cheers.
Posted By: Fireblade Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 10:10pm
Thanks for the heads up mate,glad your ok ,;-))
Posted By: dave_h Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 10:16pm
Miss us had a fone call just off her friend sound like this person has just knocked at her house, over church road area, he said he wanted to speak to home owner to sell something, she got himon camera acting very weird, he got a ruck sack and in dark clothing he noticed camera and stood back, she gunn a try get some stills, if so I'll post
Posted By: dave_h Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 10:17pm
Before u say why did she open the door it was her friend while she was sorting kids
Posted By: Alonso Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 10:22pm
Originally Posted by dave_h
Miss us had a fone call just off her friend sound like this person has just knocked at her house, over church road area, he said he wanted to speak to home owner to sell something, she got himon camera acting very weird, he got a ruck sack and in dark clothing he noticed camera and stood back, she gunn a try get some stills, if so I'll post

Thanks. I have no objection to these lads trying to make a living. But there should be some local legislation which forbids them calling after dark. They obviously get frustrated when people challenge them or are suspicious of them., They are supposed to be able to produce evidence of good character from two JP's in order to get their local licences, which are granted by the chief officer of police.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 11:07pm
I would also answer my door if someone rang it, that's why I have a doorbell. You should be able to open your door without the threat of abuse just because you don't want to buy something (I'm assuming that's what a hawker does?) Also I would ring the local police again and complain about the attitude of the woman with whom you spoke, I'm sure they must record their phonecalls and for her to have been rude regarding your height description of the geordie hawker is wrong and she should have taken your complaint more seriously.
I agree with you too that there should be some sort of curfew meaning they cannot knock at your door after a certain time ( I wouldn't just say after dark as that could mean they may bother you until past 10pm in the summer!)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 11:40pm
Some barstard ripped my 91 year old grandad off, 6 months ago. Paranoidballoon kindly got me a sticker, to pass on to Grandad. Its freely available at police stations and warns against cold callers.
Please people, look out for vulnerable neighbours etc
In all honesty, Grandad didnt appreciate the door sticker. His pride was hurt by these twunts, his response to the sticker was 'people must think i'm a fool'.
No!! We don't Mr Grammar School educated and ww2 veteran.
Again, wiki peeps grab a sticker or two for YOUR elderly neighbours!!!
Posted By: jenscho Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 21st Mar 2012 11:45pm
I phoned my gran about this to tell her to be careful when answering her door, coz she lives not too far from Overchurch Road and I know this isn't strictly on topic but she had a leaflet through from a gardening firm who came and quoted her £80 (yes £80) to do her borders and a flowerbed which she stupidly agreed to. While they were there said a few extra bits needed doing, a tree needed sorting out and an overhanging branch needed cutting down, it would cost her a bit more but it's worth it for safety. She again said OK and the man did the work then charged her £145 in total!! Watch out for these guys too, I think that's a bit dear if you ask me!
Posted By: Alonso Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 22nd Mar 2012 12:53am
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
I would also answer my door if someone rang it, that's why I have a doorbell. You should be able to open your door without the threat of abuse just because you don't want to buy something (I'm assuming that's what a hawker does?) Also I would ring the local police again and complain about the attitude of the woman with whom you spoke, I'm sure they must record their phonecalls and for her to have been rude regarding your height description of the geordie hawker is wrong and she should have taken your complaint more seriously.
I agree with you too that there should be some sort of curfew meaning they cannot knock at your door after a certain time ( I wouldn't just say after dark as that could mean they may bother you until past 10pm in the summer!)

I'm afraid the days are gone when it was worth putting in complaints. This would be just looked upon as a trivial matter and the operators question to me as being a routine question...even though I know she was lacking in something.

Good thing about this board is people locally can quickly do a bit of policing of their own and raise each others spirits at the same time.

Thanks for your interest and comments.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 22nd Mar 2012 4:17pm
Good idea about cold callers. Think I will get one. I don't answer door late at night. My children and friends will phone me from their mobile phones if I don't answer the door. My children and next door have keys to my house in case I take ill and they cannot get in. Power of Attorney also sorted so they can deal with my affairs if I am unable to do so.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 22nd Mar 2012 5:40pm
I'm getting Loft Insulators knocking on a regular basis now, "Working on behalf of the Government" they say. Quite shirty when I point out that I have a "No Doorstep Sales" notice on the door but I tell them to bog off as it means what it says. My insulation has been done anyway.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 5th Apr 2012 9:43am
i hope he knocks at my house here as my big staffordshire bull terrier really doesnt take to kindly to strange people at the door !!!

and for some reason god only knows why wink but it really doesnt like rucksack wearers either (possibly due to the many smackheads that use them lol)

and rudebox tell your grandad to get a nice big dog and he wont get any callers trust me hahaha
Posted By: dave_h Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 5th Apr 2012 9:46am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I'm getting Loft Insulators knocking on a regular basis now, "Working on behalf of the Government" they say. Quite shirty when I point out that I have a "No Doorstep Sales" notice on the door but I tell them to bog off as it means what it says. My insulation has been done anyway.

just bang em out, they would get the hint your not interested then
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 12th Apr 2012 12:42pm
probably something to do with the undisireables currently on the tarran way estate at the moment so be warned ...

anything that isnt nailed or screwed down will be gone if you live near moreton at the moment lol
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 12th Apr 2012 10:05pm
Bang out !

Some little gob knocking at my door giving me the gob after being told I wasn't interested I would moe the bugger down!

Cheeky little shit!

I blame the parents!

Society nowadays ! Makes my bloody boil
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 12th Apr 2012 10:34pm
At this time of night, Sarah? omg
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 12th Apr 2012 10:41pm
Yep rude lol
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 12th Apr 2012 10:55pm
Thats disgusting Sarah. I would have flipped my lid!! An unexpected knock at my door after 10pm would put the shits up me! I would assume it was family/friend/neighbour in peril!
Who do these people think they are? Twunts.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 12th Apr 2012 10:57pm
What was the Little Gob trying to sell you?
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 12th Apr 2012 11:03pm
Been a few things over the years to be honest

Nothing recent as i said would mow the bugger down

Mind due come to think about it some little turd knocked after say 11 , well I could not forgive my actions wink
Posted By: Katryn Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 13th Apr 2012 8:53am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Some barstard ripped my 91 year old grandad off, 6 months ago. Paranoidballoon kindly got me a sticker, to pass on to Grandad. Its freely available at police stations and warns against cold callers.
Please people, look out for vulnerable neighbours etc
In all honesty, Grandad didnt appreciate the door sticker. His pride was hurt by these twunts, his response to the sticker was 'people must think i'm a fool'.
No!! We don't Mr Grammar School educated and ww2 veteran.
Again, wiki peeps grab a sticker or two for YOUR elderly neighbours!!!

we have the sticker from the police on our door and we still get cold callers etc knocking frown
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Watch out for abusive hawkers Moreton. - 13th Apr 2012 9:36am
Similar types were around New Brighton a fortnight ago wanting to clean and seal the paving.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral