Forums
Posted By: uptonbaz cctv - 14th Apr 2019 1:40pm
need expert help setting up cctv cameras , thro sky router
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: cctv - 15th Apr 2019 9:57pm
Hi baz, what cctv system have you bought mate?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: cctv - 16th Apr 2019 12:12pm
Why not put up a notice reading "I have something worth stealing here!"

It will have the same effect as a CCTV camera and cost a lot less.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: cctv - 16th Apr 2019 5:33pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
Why not put up a notice reading "I have something worth stealing here!"

It will have the same effect as a CCTV camera and cost a lot less.

Might be true for people that splash out thousands on professional systems but as decent systems are available for less than the cost of a set of decent locks these days, I don't think it applies any longer.

In fact they are so cheap that I bought a second system (8 channel with 4 cameras) for spares when I needed to replace a camera.

We've certainly not looked back on putting our system up and I have plans to extend it to give better coverage of area outside the property
Posted By: Excoriator Re: cctv - 16th Apr 2019 6:49pm
You are probably wasting your time and money. They are completely ineffective anyway. Fortunately, rime is falling despite what the tabloids and unscrupulous politicians tell you. You and your property are now probably safer than in any time in history.
Posted By: Mark Re: cctv - 22nd Apr 2019 10:07am
Originally Posted by uptonbaz
need expert help setting up cctv cameras , thro sky router

You only need to do this if you want to access the cameras over the internet.
If not then you do not need to do any port forwarding on the router.

Create a service cctv
open the required ports

typically rtsp port 554

your cctv system should be able to provide you with the correct information on what ports to open.
If you have an NVR then you would normally open the NVR ports and see all from that IP address.

Hope that helps as a guide.
Posted By: uptonbaz Re: cctv - 22nd Apr 2019 5:28pm
sannce
Posted By: uptonbaz Re: cctv - 22nd Apr 2019 5:35pm
should the DHCP be on or of when used with a static ip,or does it make no difference
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: cctv - 22nd Apr 2019 8:20pm
Makes no difference to dhcp, if you put the IP as static in the router (ie allocate that IP to that device) then it will reserve that IP in the router's DHCP table. I normally put static IP's well up in the available numbers and something you can remember eg 192.168.1.200 if the router uses the 192.168.1.xxx local addresses.

Just to clarify, you can't just tell the camera the static ip, you have to tell router as well.

I'd have offered to come and help but I've been tied up last few weeks.

For sannce systems (assuming you are using a DVR, not just cameras?) you can use the RTP port but its better to use the dedicated port 34567 as that has more functionality and is probably more secure.

Before you you put any CCTV on the internet, change the default passwords otherwise the device will very quickly become infected.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: cctv - 22nd Apr 2019 8:27pm
If you are looking for a free dynamic dns service I use https://www.dynu.com/, this enables you to find your cameras on the internet (assuming you haven't got a static internet ip).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral