Forums
Posted By: venice Ive gone all Russian! - 15th Oct 2017 3:09pm
Ive got a Yahoo email address purely because I created it when I first jointed the Wirral freecycle site. When I looked in it yesterday, everything bar my name , is in Russian text! I still want to use freecycle , so whats the best way for me to sort this out please ,so I can use FC again?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 15th Oct 2017 3:38pm
Learn Russian laffin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 15th Oct 2017 4:23pm
St Petersburg is called "Venice of the North".
Posted By: assassin Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 15th Oct 2017 5:11pm
It would be easier to open a new email addresses, yahoo is forever being hacked if you want a free one that doesn't ask for your phone or an other email addresses try mail.com
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 15th Oct 2017 6:10pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

BRILLIANT ...
Posted By: snowhite Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 15th Oct 2017 7:54pm
Originally Posted by missmahjong
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

BRILLIANT ...
thumbsup
Posted By: venice Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 15th Oct 2017 8:42pm
Very droll D and DD ! clap laugh Think Ill open a new address like you suggest assassin , thanks - Ill try that one.
Posted By: Norton Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 16th Oct 2017 9:49pm
Reading and re-reading your first post, it makes me think that possibly, just possibly, that the FC site may have been compromised. I suggest you try and speak to their webmaster to check it out.
Posted By: venice Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 16th Oct 2017 10:38pm
ok Norton, thanks. Ill do just that. Ive changed my email address anyway, but it would be nice to know.
Posted By: lincle Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 17th Oct 2017 8:46am
This happened to me recently but I changed my password.Also happened to my Daughter but she doesn't know how to solve it as she can't remember her password so her account has been blocked. HELP please
Posted By: venice Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 17th Oct 2017 9:24am
Can she rejoin FC using another name and email address? Its easy to open the mail.com one that assassin suggested . Then if they contact her to query it, she could explain ?
Posted By: lincle Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 17th Oct 2017 10:19am
In addition she's also got a new mobile phone number
Posted By: lincle Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 17th Oct 2017 11:14am
Hi Venice, She didn't use FC .Doesnt know know to reset password or how to change her mobile number so she can .
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 17th Oct 2017 2:09pm
Have you Putin the right password !
Posted By: Dilly Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 17th Oct 2017 2:24pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Have you Putin the right password !

Fish you are neither helpful or funny and nobody will be Russian to laugh at your jokes, anyway I'm busy so I Moscow smile
Posted By: venice Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 17th Oct 2017 8:22pm
lincle

If its like mine, if she clicks the shortcut on her desktop , she'll get Russian. If instead she just types Yahoo into google search , doesnt it just bring up the normal box to sign in with email and password -- and offer option for if youve forotten what it is , ie to fill in your email recovery address set up when she opened the account? If shes forgotten which one she used, when you choose that you want to use your alternative email, it then reminds you which one it is by giving half of it, and asks if you still have it. I presume if you say no, then it will go through other alternatives , and it probably has a help button somewhere on the page too. Does she remember her username, on yahoo, its sometimes the part of the email address before the 'at' sign
Posted By: lincle Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 18th Oct 2017 8:54am
Hi Venice,Thanks for that info.Im certain she didn't set up a recovery address . She will be visiting today so will show her your suggestions.
Posted By: lincle Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 18th Oct 2017 8:59am
Just remembered her saying that the info she needs would be sent to her email which she can't get .Her mobile number would be an option but it's not recognised as its her old number that's registered .She could change it if she could access her account. Going round in circles 😡
Posted By: venice Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 18th Oct 2017 12:31pm
Hi lincle. Sorry to say but it looks like your daughter is banging her head against a wall. Read this link

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Passwor...new-phone-no-alternate-email/td-p/160394

Its 3 pages of people in the same position , and its clear that the problem is that the service is free so Yahoo are not wasting their money providing any backup or help for customers not able to access accounts , it would seem they simply dont respond judging from what people are saying. Shame for your daughter if she has stuff she REALLY needs to access , but otherwise , shed be better setting up a new email address with gmail or mail.com (or both so each could be rescue for the other)
Posted By: lincle Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 18th Oct 2017 3:59pm
Hi Venice ,that says it all really so best to write down password & use someone else's account as back up. She's managing now using Outlook Android whatever that is. Many thanks to you & everyone who tried to help
Posted By: venice Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 19th Oct 2017 8:53am
Thats interesting, this morning a messagepurporting to be from Microsoft came up when I switched on the laptop with a box showing my Yahoo details bar the pw, said it was verifying security on the account and asked me to verify if it 'looked good' or whether to 'change password' or 'remind me later'. It did have a padlock . Tried to click it off as Ive already changed to mail.com , and it wouldnt go. Then clicked on the shortcut for Y that has been coming up all in Russian for the past few days, and its all back to English! Until I clicked 'remind me' it wouldnt let me move on to do anything. Hope its all genuinely from MS and that the remind me button hasnt downloaded something bad.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 19th Oct 2017 9:29am
Two factor authentication is essential these days, I resisted it for a long time but now have changed many of my accounts over.

Always worth running a malwarebytes check on your computer if you are ever worried.
Posted By: lincle Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 19th Oct 2017 10:22am
Nothing safe anymore.Its scary how easily hackers can access accounts.
Posted By: venice Re: Ive gone all Russian! - 19th Oct 2017 1:02pm
I did run MS security essentials but think Ive got a problem with that in itself, as even though I clicked I wanted a quick scan, (between my automatic ones) once started, it took ages, and when I started to get suspicious and have a closer look at the screen , in type of scan, it showed 'full'. Took hours. No problems showing up though . Repeated it overnight incase Id pressed full instead of quick, but same thing happened . Just trusting it to the automatic daily one now.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral