Forums
Posted By: derekdwc VIRGIN MEDIA email possible scam - 15th Sep 2016 10:19am
Just received an email supposedly from Virgin and when I clicked on the link -wanted card and bank details. I got as far as inputting my name and address then decided to get in touch with Virgin or my bank. Virgin told me THEY HADN'T sent an the email. They couldn't let me send a copy of it to them so they could follow it up and possibly save others from it

email

Dear [email protected],

We were unable to process the payment for your latest Virgin Media bill. The billing details associated with your Virgin Media account have expired. Your service is pending automatic disconnection on:

17 September, 2016

To avoid the scheduled interruption of service we strongly recommend that you to update your billing profile with Virgin Media now by following the link below:

http://profile.virginmedia.com/sgdi/id:k8914j263s6j

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

Posted By: starakita Re: VIRGIN MEDIA email possible scam - 15th Sep 2016 3:33pm
My dad got one of those e mails he phoned up virgin as it didn't sound right & they confirmed it was a scam,He said the e mail looked very convincing though.
Posted By: jimbob Re: VIRGIN MEDIA email possible scam - 15th Sep 2016 6:45pm
golden rule, never click on a link that's appears to have arrived by e-mail from your bank or a service supplier. Always go the service supplier or banks own web site
Posted By: Wally1 Re: VIRGIN MEDIA email possible scam - 16th Sep 2016 12:55am
In the last few weeks we have received several emailed
invoices purporting to come from Apple. Look real but
for iTunes we have not ordered so just deleted.

I now assume any unexpected email is a scam and
wait until I know otherwise before acting on it.
Posted By: Mark Re: VIRGIN MEDIA email possible scam - 16th Sep 2016 7:10am
Originally Posted by jimbob
golden rule, never click on a link that's appears to have arrived by e-mail from your bank or a service supplier. Always go the service supplier or banks own web site

Couldn't agree more.

If its a serious issue, you would be contacted by good old fashioned mail.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: VIRGIN MEDIA email possible scam - 16th Sep 2016 5:08pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Originally Posted by jimbob

Couldn't agree more.

If its a serious issue, you would be contacted by good old fashioned mail.

I also couldn't agree more
My business email address gets between 10 and 20 spam emails on a daily basis and at least 5 are phishing emails or attachments with viruses
If an email gets past your spam filter it doesn't mean it is not spam
Do as jim suggested, go direct to the website and do not click on links or open attachments (unless you trust the source 100%)
It is unfortunate that spam is getting more sophisticated and tricking unsuspected victims is getting more commonplace
Posted By: Salmon Re: VIRGIN MEDIA email possible scam - 17th Sep 2016 8:21pm
I just had an email from "Amazon" claiming that Amazon will no longer keep personal data and I must click on a link to validate my account. It contains so many spelling and grammatical errors that surely nobody would be drawn in but unfortunately these scams must generate some positives or presumably they would stop.
As mentioned above never ever click on a link and certainly not if it is addressed to "Dear Amazon Customer" or similar.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral