Forums
Posted By: geprgie260 Windows 10 and file explorer - 13th Feb 2016 7:47am
My laptop was doing a scan but when I then went on file explorer the settings had changed. The menu for my folders/pc etc is now on the right and the exit/minimize/maximize buttons are now on the top left and not the top right. I've tried googling for answers but found nothing so far that will enable me to change it back to the way it was - which was the menu being on the left and the exit/minimize buttons etc top right.

Any help much appreciated.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 13th Feb 2016 5:16pm
Sounds like your shell32.dll got corrupted, used to be quite common for this file to go wrong on earlier versions of windows, first time I have heard of it in Windows 10.

You can edit all theses settings using "resource hacker" but I don't particularly recommend it, its pretty risky if you don't get it exactly right.

Mark may know how you can obtain a default shell32.dll, I usually re-install Windows from scratch when things like this happen, you don't know what else has been messed up.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 13th Feb 2016 5:41pm
Thanks very much diggingdeeper, that's good advice. I just didn't want to start doing anything to the settings etc and then get into more problems!
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 14th Feb 2016 5:16am
Have you ran a anti virus scan?

Its weid, which makes me think you have been victim to a infected file.

Have you tried a system restore?

The file system32.dll when it went corrupt i would copy the file from a similar operating system.

Have you launched in safe mode yet and tested to see if the problem is the same.

Few things to consider.

Im not in front of windows 10 right now, but check any accessibility settings there could be a flip setting im not aware of.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 14th Feb 2016 7:39am
Hi, thanks for your reply. My laptop was doing an antivirus scan and then the settings went wrong. I have tried system restore but the menu is still on the right side.

I will try safe mode and see what happens...

How do I copy the file system32.dll? I have another laptop running windows 10 ( that one is working fine).

I will have another look for a flip setting as well.

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 14th Feb 2016 9:41am
I have now tried safe mode but the menu is still on the right and the exit/minimize etc buttons at the top left.

The antivirus scan didn't pick up anything either.

Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 14th Feb 2016 10:39am
System restore?
Try that.

The. dll file is more trouble than its worth with out experience.

When it was doing the scan, did it restart and then you noticed the changes as the scan could be a red herring and a coincidence.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 14th Feb 2016 1:24pm
I agree with Mark about potential infection and meant to add on the end of my post to run Malwarebytes, I think the following link takes you straight to free version https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_current/.

Unless you really want to pay, make sure you don't agree to any "pro" or "trials" or similar terms that try to get you to upgrade.

Some viruses try to fool or stop ant-virus scans/detections and can cause a battle.

I'm also wondering if you have accidentally gone into tablet mode instead of laptop/desktop mode - this has a left/right setting for drop down menus and maybe more tricks like that.

Hit the Windows and "A" key at same time to open action centre, at the bottom will be tablet mode button which toggles on or off (light colour when off (desktop/laptop), dark colour when on (tablet) - click outside the box to exit this menu. Tablet menu usually has the start menu icons on the screen instead of pop-up.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 7:47am
I have done malwarebytes and nothing was found. Tried hitting the windows key and 'A' which didn't work (?) but did find the settings for laptop/desktop or tablet mode and my laptop is not in tablet mode.

If I did a system restore and clicked to keep all my files/folders, then I would have to reinstall a long list of apps, which I am reluctant to do, in case anything else goes wrong.
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 10:47am
System Restore should offer you dates you can roll back too. It normally keeps all documents and library folders as is.

It doesn't reinstall it just rolls back, you will need to select a date before the changes occured.

Were trying to offer you easy home options that may work. Obviously backup any important pictures or documents first.

This process is available if system restore has been enabled, if not there will be no roll back option.
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 10:52am
Can you post a screen shot?
Just so were are chasing the same ghost.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 11:18am
I appreciate everyone's help greatly and you explain things well that I can follow. That's why I asked on here regarding this problem. I have attached a screenshot, so I hope it works!

Attached picture MENU.REVERESED.SCREENSHOT..png
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 1:58pm
Wow thats Mirrored, its not just the top x_ buttons.
Ive been googling and checking settings and i cant recreate your issue.

For now my advice would only be system restore.
If that doesn't work there is one more thing to try before your going to basically do a factory reset.

Let us know how you get on, DD may come back with another option but its got me stuck.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 4:05pm
As I said before, these are settings that can be bodged with "resource hacker" which creates a new shell32.dll, why Microsoft build the functionality in but don't allow you to change it is anyone's guess.

I'm with Mark, you need to do a system restore - but I think with windows 10 you can't wind the system backwards unless you set up a system backup to a different drive.

So you may be left with two options, a fresh install of Windows 10, or a Windows 10 reset.

THIS page details the options and has links at the bottom which tells you how to do it.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 5:14pm
My previous post might be wrong on restore and backup. Looks like something changed on 8/2/2016. since then my computer is now doing automatic restore points as well as system backups.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 5:25pm
Thanks very much for everyone's help and advice. The way the menu changed and the way it is now laid out was a shock! Very strange....

I will let you know how I get on doing the restore/new install. I hope no-one else has the same problem, but if they do, and what I do works, at least they'll know how to rectify it!

Thanks again, it is much appreciated you taking the time to help.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 5:36pm
Actually, I just realised their may be a quick way around this.

Using file explorer, go to C:/windows/system32

Right click on shell32.dll and open properties

The last tab should be "previous versions", click on that.

If there are any previous versions listed (it can take a while)then select that. I guess after it is restored you have to reboot.

Normally there are no previous versions of this file but if it has been changed there may be.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 5:44pm
And just found another button that might do it it.

Open File Explorer

On top tabs choose "view"

On right hand side select "options" drop down

Select "Change folders and search options"

Press "Restore defaults" in the window that opens, hit "apply" and "ok" for good measure.

See what happens.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 6:08pm
Thanks for these new suggestions, but these last two I have tried - there are no previous versions and the last one you suggested, to restore defaults, didn't work either.

I will have to do a system restore or reinstall windows 10.

I'll let you know what happens....

Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 6:11pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Right click on shell32.dll and open properties

You may find that it may not be able too because the file is open. But i could be wrong, i always had to do chages in dos.

That restore to default could be a winner DD smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 6:16pm
Ok.

Dont do a reinstall, try the system restore.

If that fails there is one more option you can try i just need to find that how too. But your system restore is pretty good. If it doesn't work, windows will tell you if it worked or not. But your system will be exactly as it was, frustratingly mirrored.
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 6:27pm
Microsoft File Checker
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833

The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.

The instructions are for Windows 8 but im sure valid for Windows 10

If your restore does not work the above is my last best guess before a reinstall.

Follow the link above for full instructions. If you get stuck with the link let us know and we can guide you.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 15th Feb 2016 10:46pm
My Windows 10 is working fine, so I'm not prepared to try this myself. But since you've got the problem consider trying this... click on the Explorer section and drag it to the far left (i.e. to where it belongs)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 16th Feb 2016 4:08am
Got it at last. Windows 8 had this functionality built in for tablets and it is still hidden away in Windows 10. this is supposed to be available under control panel - tablet settings, but it certainly isn't on mine, so you access it as follows......

Right click windows icon, hit "run" and cut and paste the following line in

explorer shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}

Give it a while and it will open up a box.

Hit "other" along the top tabs

You will find left and right sided menu settings.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 16th Feb 2016 4:15am
Or perhaps not, this just relates to drop down menus whether they appear to the left or right - worth switching it backward and forward so see if it helps?
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 16th Feb 2016 7:50am
Greasbylad - I tried your suggestion and it didn't work, sadly.

Digging deeper - I tries your suggestion and it didn't change the menu position, Grrrrr.

I opened a folder on my desktop this morning which contained photo's and the menu was on the left side ( the correct side). Then I wondered if the file explorer menu had reverted to the left side. So I checked and, no, it hadn't! Then I clicked on my photo folder and the menu was now on the right side ( the wrong side).

I tried to do a system restore but it would only restore back to 12th feb, and not earlier as I wanted to. And it wouldn't complete the restore anyway.

I think a re-install is on the cards unless there is an alternative?

Many thanks for all your help - without it I wouldn't know what to try.
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 16th Feb 2016 9:59am
Did you try this yet?
Microsoft File Checker
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833

Did it let you try.
Did it complete.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 16th Feb 2016 1:15pm
I have done the file checker and it did complete and the message was 'Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations'.

Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 16th Feb 2016 5:21pm
Kitchen Sink Time . . . . . .

It just looks like you could drag those pages over and everything should fall back into place.
I know you have tried. . . .

Its so strange that its only this view that is flipped over and not any other. . . . .

Have you any windows updates to do ?
I've just been reading that there has been issues with windows 10 file explorer in December ??
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 16th Feb 2016 5:36pm
I know, if only it was that simple to just drag it over and it goes back to the way it was.

All windows updates are done too....

Maybe future updates will resolve the problem.... I can but hope!

Thanks very much everyone, for trying to resolve this!
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 17th Feb 2016 6:12pm
I'm gutted we cant solve this mad
As you have hinted at it must be a corrupt setting now.

Factory reset.
You Must back up anything personal onto an external device.

Or live with explorer the way it is..

Its not often we are stumped, come back with an easier problem next time, we look good then lol
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 19th Feb 2016 11:07am
Nit picking I know but it's not hit Windows button and "A", it's hold down the Windows button whilst hitting "A" at the same time. Only found out about it myself yesterday, but that's another story.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 19th Feb 2016 6:44pm
Sorry I haven't replied sooner - despite having set up notifications for this, I didn't get any for the last two replies!!

Anyway, I have had no alternative but to reinstall windows 10, keeping all my files. The menu etc is now in the correct place, the right and top right for the exit etc buttons.

I did hold down the windows button and then hit to A at the same time - it just didn't work for me as it should have done...

Thanks very much for all your help and suggestions, it is very much appreciated.

And yes - next time I shall give you a problem that will, hopefully, be 'easier'!

Thanks again....
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 19th Feb 2016 7:10pm
thumbsup

Originally Posted by geprgie260
Sorry I haven't replied sooner - despite having set up notifications for this, I didn't get any for the last two replies!!

New E-mail settings Click Me
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Windows 10 and file explorer - 20th Feb 2016 7:33am
Right - thanks!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral