Forums
Posted By: rover644 Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 10:49am
I have an Asus desktop pc just over a year old. It seems to turn on the fans start but there is no display also the lights on the mouse and keyboard don't come on. I've had a bit of a Google and tried a few things but to no avail. So in a nutshell can anyone recommend a good place to take it to see if it can be saved
Posted By: lansyp Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 12:28pm
Sounds like a hard drive issue, if your confident enough have a go at putting another hard drive in it and see if it boots up .
Posted By: rover644 Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 12:36pm
I tried unplugging the hard drive and turning it on. The monitor still says no signal and the mouse and keyboard lights are off. Also I'm sure it normally gives a beep when it's turned on now it doesn't may be because I've unplugged the speakers or does the beep come from inside the tower. Baffled
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 1:18pm
Could be the BIOS battery if you're not getting as far as the POST reporting.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 1:34pm
Have you tried holding the power button in until it restarts "Cold Booting" sort of resets the Pc.
Posted By: rover644 Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 1:46pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Could be the BIOS battery if you're not getting as far as the POST reporting.
One of the suggestions I seen was to remove this. I left it out overnight. No difference
Posted By: rover644 Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 2:04pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Have you tried holding the power button in until it restarts "Cold Booting" sort of resets the Pc.
yer I've tried that
Posted By: Finney Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 2:23pm
Try chris at ccr computers, he is by Lloyd's bank in bebington (bottom of dacre hill), have used him before, found him to be cheap, quick and reliable.
Posted By: rover644 Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 2:57pm
Originally Posted by Finney
Try chris at ccr computers, he is by Lloyd's bank in bebington (bottom of dacre hill), have used him before, found him to be cheap, quick and reliable.
ok thanks I'll take it and see what he can do
Posted By: lansyp Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 4:44pm
Try removing the ram section by section and restart after each one have had ram cause problems before now
Posted By: rover644 Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 5:03pm
Originally Posted by lansyp
Try removing the ram section by section and restart after each one have had ram cause problems before now
ive done that with the RAM there is only one stick. I've tried it in all the ports
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 8:34pm
daft question. Is the screen switched on.? fuse in plug? Can you test screen
Posted By: rover644 Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 9:18pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
daft question. Is the screen switched on.? fuse in plug? Can you test screen
have tested the screen. What's weird is the fans start up and the light on the power button lights up but no lights on the keyboard or mouse. I tried plugging my phone into one of the USB ports to see if it charged but nothing
Posted By: Mark Re: Pc repair - 1st Jun 2015 11:08pm
Can you tell us if you just went to power it on and now you have the problem's. Trying to get a background to how we got to the problem.

It's the pc giving any beeps as it sits there with a blank screen.

Unplug keyboard and mouse.
just want to check a keyboard has not gone faulty on you and preventing post boot. With out the keyboard you should still get a post boot and memory check. Then the error no keyboard error, which is good as it could narrow the problem down.

The rule of thumb in this situation is to unplug one thing at a time until you're left with only the power cable to the motherboard, after that your pretty much narrowing it down to a bad board.

The fans
just check if the fan is spinning up on the processor as that one is important and should spin up at max speed until the operating system says slow down.

As previous with the memory remove all of it, swap it around.

It could also be a power supply problem as you have a 5v supply for the fans but 12v and I think a 7v for other bits. So that could say why some power is reaching some parts.

All you can do is be methodical in your process.

Keep up the effort, it will be something stupid like a keyboard or mouse or failing USB connection or the board is on its way out.

Hope that helps
Posted By: rover644 Re: Pc repair - 2nd Jun 2015 6:41pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Can you tell us if you just went to power it on and now you have the problem's. Trying to get a background to how we got to the problem.

It's the pc giving any beeps as it sits there with a blank screen.

Unplug keyboard and mouse.
just want to check a keyboard has not gone faulty on you and preventing post boot. With out the keyboard you should still get a post boot and memory check. Then the error no keyboard error, which is good as it could narrow the problem down.
The rule of thumb in this situation is to unplug one thing at a time until you're left with only the power cable to the motherboard, after that your pretty much narrowing it down to a bad board.

The fans
just check if the fan is spinning up on the processor as that one is important and should spin up at max speed until the operating system says slow down.

As previous with the memory remove all of it, swap it around.

It could also be a power supply problem as you have a 5v supply for the fans but 12v and I think a 7v for other bits. So that could say why some power is reaching some parts.

All you can do is be methodical in your process.

Keep up the effort, it will be something stupid like a keyboard or mouse or failing USB connection or the board is on its way out.

Hope that helps
unplugged everything externally and internally. Worst of it is I though the warranty was up so broke the seal to get in. Later found out it had a month left to run. It was going into a sort of sleep mode on its own and the only way to wake it up was to power it off then back on. It was on when it everything went off screen keyboard mouse etc only this time it won't come back on. I was thinking power supply or motherboard but that all takes it out of my league so I've popped it into the shop that was suggested on an earlier post. Fingers crossed it can be saved as its only 11 months old. Thanks for all the advice folks
Posted By: lansyp Re: Pc repair - 2nd Jun 2015 7:42pm
You have a fan on so don't think it will be the power supply .it could be the motherboard I believe one of the laptops in the Asus series has a known problem with the solder on the motherboard so may have the same problem.hope it goes well
Posted By: Mark Re: Pc repair - 2nd Jun 2015 7:52pm
Let us know how you got on
© Wirral-Wikiwirral