Forums
Posted By: Excoriator External camera on a Tablet. - 10th Jul 2014 11:04pm
On finding a camera to send down my drains is £150 a day to hire, I bought a waterproof USB endoscope (640 by 480) with a 10 metre cable from China for £9. I will tape this to my drain rods. My intention is to connect this to my Samsung Note tablet, and I have a USB adaptor to do this.

The problem is android based software to display the image. There doesn't seem to be any!

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 10th Jul 2014 11:23pm
My brain is a bit numb tonight but I seem to remember that usb power wont travel that far, maybe 12-16 foot. I may be wrong. Quite a few years ago I tried to run a usb webcam from upstairs to downstairs and it failed on 16 foot I think. Check it will work while looking for the software. Cheers
Posted By: Raven61 Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 10th Jul 2014 11:45pm
Don't know if this will help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_VNzV-6r0
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 10th Jul 2014 11:59pm
Free software..
Debut
http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 11th Jul 2014 12:07am
Sorry that's for windows only.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 11th Jul 2014 12:19am
Ok, try this one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidperception.dashcam&hl=en
Posted By: Excoriator Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 11th Jul 2014 6:02am
Thanks Zipperclub. I will try this - when I can find my misplaced USB adapter!

Reading the reviews, it seems some people have difficulty with it, but it is worth a try. I can use a laptop if it doesn't work. It is just that a tablet is more convenient.

I know that USB is supposed to be limited to five metres or so, but the cam seems to work OK over the 10 metre cable. I guess they have beefed up the driver at the camera end to do this and/or used low loss cable.
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 11th Jul 2014 7:53am

Phone has to be rooted for this to work wink
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 11th Jul 2014 10:14pm
Originally Posted by beehive

Phone has to be rooted for this to work wink

What's New

IMPORTANT - Android 4.4 Users will require rooted devices
Posted By: Excoriator Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 11th Jul 2014 10:16pm
I am not quite sure what 'rooting' is, but I am alarmed at having to make significant (and maybe irreversible??) changes to my tablet.

One of the things I dislike about Android is the difficulty of knowing where everything is stored. Quite probably my fault, but with Windows I can find things. With Android I can't.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 12th Jul 2014 9:03am
Don't know if this would be of any help.
One of the shops by me has a security camera in the shop and he can see whats going on via a tablet or laptop even when at home away from the shop.
Camera he said was £39 off ebayI thnk
Posted By: Excoriator Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 21st Jul 2014 12:26pm
Thanks Derekdwc. I know that's possible with a wireless camera, but I want to use it with a waterproof borescope which is USB powered and connected, unfortunately.

No problem, I shall use it with a laptop.

It is odd that android tablets do not allow this. I am half of a mind to set to and write an app. myself, there is sure to be a market for it, but I dislike writing software and only do it when there's no alternative.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: External camera on a Tablet. - 21st Jul 2014 6:37pm
Maybe the tablets do not have the power to do it. Most of the power would go to its own screen.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral