Forums
Posted By: Colt743 Need help from a networking expert please - 29th May 2014 9:53am
Morning all,

I need help from someone in the know how about networking if possible please.

I am trying to connect to something via a VPN (in indonesia) which works fine, but the problem is I only want a certain program to use the VPN not all of my traffic (which is what happens)

Does anyone know if there is a way to run a wired and wireless connection at the same time to the same router / network?

So for example I could set the wireless connection to use the VPN and the wired to ignore it and use my normal ISP?

Thanks
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Need help from a networking expert please - 29th May 2014 10:09am
You can set up a virtual machine, and run that seperately.
Posted By: Colt743 Re: Need help from a networking expert please - 29th May 2014 11:09am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
You can set up a virtual machine, and run that seperately.

I need to be able to access the information from both connections simultaneously, with the least impact on my desktop.

Would that be something that is available using a virtual machine?

Thank you for the reply
Posted By: Mark Re: Need help from a networking expert please - 29th May 2014 6:11pm
If your using the standard router from your ISP then probably not.

With Small Business Routers you can Throttle the Bandwidth from different IP Addresses (Wireless) around the home.

I'm assuming that you have other computers hogging the bandwidth and thus slowing your vpn connection ?

When you say not all your traffic. That's not clear what you mean?
Posted By: Colt743 Re: Need help from a networking expert please - 29th May 2014 6:34pm
Thanks for the reply,

By all of my traffic i mean every packet of data from my computer to the internet.

I would like a specific program or set of programs to use an Indonesian VPN and another set of programs to use my ISP connection here.

for example:

Program 1 Uses VPN in Indonesia and gets a 1mb down and 300kbs up
program 2 Uses ISP here and gets 130mb down and 9mb up

I need to use the VPN because of an IP Block and if i use the second program using the VPN i dont have enough bandwidth to do what i need to do.

I thought it may of been a straight forward simple task that someone could say "do this" or "do that"

I don't think i am going to have much luck with my limited knowledge

Thanks again
Posted By: karlb Re: Need help from a networking expert please - 29th May 2014 8:18pm
What os you using ??
This is for windows for torrents but it would give you a idea how to do it for most programs.
https://airvpn.org/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/
If the program that has the ip block you could use a proxy?

Or if it's just a website i use opera and just use off-road mode (has it's own proxy and vpn built in)
Posted By: Colt743 Re: Need help from a networking expert please - 30th May 2014 9:00am
I am using Windows 7

Thank you, I will have a look at that link when i get home as work has a block.

If I could use find a reliable proxy with fast speeds in Indonesia(or south east asia to avoid the IP block) that would be perfect. I am not 100% on setting up or using a proxy as the VPN method using FlyVPN is straight forward

and it is a program karlb.

Thanks again
If your making your vpn connection via windows built in functionality then there is an option you can untick to say don't send all my internet traffic via this connection, by doing this everything that would normally access the internet will do so via your isp and any traffic that needs to go via the vpn should still go this way, it's been number of years since I used it but this is how I got around the issue, hope this helps

this is how to do it

•Open Network Connections
•Select VPN connection
•Properties
•TCP/IP - properties
•Advanced
•On General tab uncheck "Use default gateway..."
•OK-OK-OK
Posted By: firestone Re: Need help from a networking expert please - 30th May 2014 8:19pm
Have a look at this

http://strongvpn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=806
© Wirral-Wikiwirral