Forums
Posted By: ianyam Laptop Repair - 28th Mar 2014 3:32pm
Hi all, I'm after someone who give me an estimate and can sort out my laptop, they must be reliable and know what they are doing. Thanks in advance, ianyam.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Laptop Repair - 28th Mar 2014 4:06pm
PM KIMPRI
Posted By: TheDr Re: Laptop Repair - 28th Mar 2014 4:56pm
What's the problem with it ?
Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop Repair - 28th Mar 2014 5:42pm
If you can give more details that will help.
Hardware software ?
What operating system.

"I know what i'm doing" thumbsup
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 28th Mar 2014 6:53pm
The laptop is an advent with an i3 processor and windows 7. it had some viruses that I removed but the Internet was running slow, so I decided to do a full recovery with the recovery disc, that went fine, downloaded all updates and installed, that went straight forward. Laptop working fine until it decided to reboot itself in the middle of me using it, it now starts but won't get past the boot screen it just keeps looping and restarting but won't load windows not even safe mode or with the recovery disc.
Posted By: TheEpicSponge Re: Laptop Repair - 28th Mar 2014 7:14pm
Try hitting F8 when you see the BIOS screen (Should say Advent on yours, I believe) It's the screen that first comes on when you push the power button.

From there, go to "Repair your computer"

Hopefully, the automatic repair should find a few problems. If not, then reply here or PM me and I'll be happy to offer my services (Not in THAT way though!!)
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 28th Mar 2014 8:13pm
Originally Posted by TheEpicSponge
Try hitting F8 when you see the BIOS screen (Should say Advent on yours, I believe) It's the screen that first comes on when you push the power button.

From there, go to "Repair your computer"

Hopefully, the automatic repair should find a few problems. If not, then reply here or PM me and I'll be happy to offer my services (Not in THAT way though!!)

Yep I've tried that just keeps looping back to start up.
Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 7:51am
Sticky Power Button.
The power button could be stuck down and your hardware trying to restart it.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 8:10am
Unlikely, in my experience from what you have told us the quickest thing for you to do is another fresh install, to diagnose your problem could take hours and still get no results.

When you boot in safe mode what happens? Does it freeze on a dll file? If so, which one?
Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 8:19am
From earlier.
Originally Posted by ianyam
it now starts but won't get past the boot screen it just keeps looping and restarting but won't load windows not even safe mode or with the recovery disc.

Also if the fan is not running (Over Heating) would / could cause the 1st weird shut downs. And Second if there is heat damage explain why its not happy and recycling.

Only suggestions from what you have told us.

* Normally at power on the fans operate in full until told otherwise by the bios or software. Are the fans running ?
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 1:08pm
Originally Posted by Mark
From earlier.
Originally Posted by ianyam
it now starts but won't get past the boot screen it just keeps looping and restarting but won't load windows not even safe mode or with the recovery disc.

Also if the fan is not running (Over Heating) would / could cause the 1st weird shut downs. And Second if there is heat damage explain why its not
happy and recycling

yes the fan is running but I did notice by the mouse pad it was red hot. Ive tried the fresh reinstall but it just loops back to start screen.

Only suggestions from what you have told us.

* Normally at power on the fans operate in full until told otherwise by the bios or software. Are the fans running ?
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 1:11pm
yes the fan is running but I did notice by the mouse pad it was red hot. Ive tried the fresh reinstall but it just loops back to start screen.
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 3:40pm
Ok here's the latest, start the laptop and it now goes past the boot screen and asks me to do a windows repair, did that and it said, cannot fix the problem and turns itself off. Restarts the bugger and it loads windows like nothing had changed. It still feels like the processor is getting too hot, the fan is definitely running. wierd or what.
Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 5:56pm
Its not the battery that's getting hot is it?

Try again with out the battery plugged in.

Let it go cool and work out if its getting hot too quick.
It should run for a min before it gets too hot.

Make sure no air vents are blocked.
Does the fan sound like its running at full speed ?

Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 6:31pm
Its leading towards a Thermal Event that is shutting down your laptop. If the reason is not obvious / slow fan or blocked vents then it would lean towards the thermal paste on the processor no longer doing the job.

And then leads to an internal problem which would mean opening it up.

If so give this chap a shout Click me

Overheating to many times can cause cpu failure so dont push it too much.
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 29th Mar 2014 6:52pm
Its leading towards a Thermal Event that is shutting down your laptop. If the reason is not obvious / slow fan or blocked vents then it would lean towards the thermal paste on the processor no longer doing the job.

And then leads to an internal problem which would mean opening it up.

If so give this chap a shout Click me

Overheating to many times can cause cpu failure so dont push it too much.

The heat is coming from the vents and it gets hot by the mouse pad, I cant tell if the fan is running at full speed but its deffo working.
Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop Repair - 30th Mar 2014 9:17am
Do you know how to access the BIOS and monitor the Hardware Temperatures ?

Not all BIOS screens show this its dependant to machine to machine. That can help you report back the running temperatures and CPU and Motherboard.

That may help target the issue.
But from what your telling us its a Thermal Event and that is what is shutting down your laptop as its protecting its self from permanent damage.
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 30th Mar 2014 7:20pm
Ok, the laptop is now running like a new one, it doesn't seem to be getting any hotter than it normally does (which I think is hot) used it yesterday to download and install all of the updates, this took about three hours and went without a hitch. Computers are a bitch without a doubt, you solve one problem and then another pops up, the only update that wouldn't load was windows 7 sp1, here we go again!

May I just thank all the people that have tried to help me out with this problem your a diamond bunch. Ian.
Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop Repair - 30th Mar 2014 10:55pm
Check the time and date before you update. Also just wait 24hrs a new update prior to sp1 may appear in the updates list. And disable any anti virus software as it installs.
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 31st Mar 2014 8:54pm
Check the time and date before you update. Also just wait 24hrs a new update prior to sp1 may appear in the updates list. And disable any anti virus software as it installs.

Ok, thanks Mark.
Posted By: ianyam Re: Laptop Repair - 2nd Apr 2014 8:26pm

Hi Mark, windows 7 sp1 now installed, don't know why it wouldn't or why it did, lol. Cheers.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral