Forums
Posted By: nickie Blackberry 9790 software issue - 18th Nov 2013 6:15pm
Took my daughters phone into the 3 store today as it kept restarting and now won't even turn on properly, the last time i went in they said try and update it from the Blackberry site so she has done that but it kept crashing and would never finish the process. There is a bit of damage where the on/off button is which is only happened with turning the phone on and off, the advisor told me that Blackberry might void the warranty but i said its a software issue but he said if they void it i would be charged £29 just for the engineer to look at it and then further costs if they fixed it!!

Does anybody know if anyone else can do this for me?

Don't want to be stung for ££££ just on christmas.

Thanks

Dave.
Posted By: Mark Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 18th Nov 2013 6:24pm
Send this member a message clicky wink
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 18th Nov 2013 6:27pm
3 will only do the software repair as an update from the Blackberry website.

If you want me to have a look at it for you I'll kill the phone completely and reinstall the software from new, this will avoid any leftover parts of the original firmware.

I don't need to open the phone to do this so the warranty stickers will be left in place.

Takes a couple of hours to do properly, especially if it's crashing. Ask your daughter to back up any information she wants to keep as it'll all be gone.

Thanks Mark, that was good timing smile
Posted By: nickie Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 18th Nov 2013 7:51pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
3 will only do the software repair as an update from the Blackberry website.

If you want me to have a look at it for you I'll kill the phone completely and reinstall the software from new, this will avoid any leftover parts of the original firmware.

I don't need to open the phone to do this so the warranty stickers will be left in place.

Takes a couple of hours to do properly, especially if it's crashing. Ask your daughter to back up any information she wants to keep as it'll all be gone.

Thanks Mark, that was good timing smile

Thanks for the replys, how much would this cost?

Dave
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 18th Nov 2013 8:07pm
If it's just software, and you mention Wiki when you book it in, a tenner.

If that sorts it, great, if it doesn't you wouldn't be charged for it.

If it still keeps crashing then it's hardware (fault on the board), this would cost about £25-£30 but would void your warranty as it has to be taken apart to do it.
Posted By: nickie Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 18th Nov 2013 9:15pm
I'll try and call into the shop tomorrow, thanks, Dave.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 18th Nov 2013 9:30pm
No worries, I'll try and get it done in the day if you're in early enough (I know how much daughters rely/live on their phones).
Posted By: nickie Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 19th Nov 2013 5:10pm
I called in today but missed you, have you been able to sort it DR ?

Dave.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 19th Nov 2013 7:05pm
It's been a total PITA.

I've managed to get the software loaded so it's not looping anymore, but now the scroll isn't working (I don't know if it was before) so I'm still at it.

I'll let you know as soon as something good happens.
Posted By: nickie Re: Blackberry 9790 software issue - 19th Nov 2013 7:43pm
Ive just been informed by my daughter that it wasn't working anyway, the man in the 3 store told her it was something to do with the actual system on the phone, he told her a update would sort it out.

Thanks.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral