wirral forums

Laptop help

Posted By: Willo_

Laptop help - 12th Jul 2012 9:27pm

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-402SA, I have just completed a full clean install of Windows7, after the last install, the laptop went really really slow.

But its no different now, it takes for ever to do anything, if am typing a word document, it takes about 10 mins to type 10 words.

I have had it now with windows7.

I tried to install windows xp, but just get blue screen of death, about 2mins in to install.

I have since found out that windows xp can not be installed on this laptop.

Any one know a decent reliable pc shop, that can get xp on this for me.

I have my own xp disc with product key.
Posted By: rossie

Re: Laptop help - 12th Jul 2012 9:41pm

Mark this forums master sorted both my friends and my laptop out very efficently and for a very good price. highly recommend
Posted By: Willo_

Re: Laptop help - 12th Jul 2012 9:42pm

Sorry here are the specs

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: Willo_

Re: Laptop help - 12th Jul 2012 9:44pm

Originally Posted by rossie
Mark this forums master sorted both my friends and my laptop out very efficently and for a very good price. highly recommend
I think this laptop is ready for the bin, I've only had it 2 yrs, its never been out of house, and its never been from under tv, as its connected to tv via hdmi cable.

Its amazing how fast they go down hill, I personally think the best place for it is in the bin.
Posted By: TheDr

Re: Laptop help - 12th Jul 2012 9:46pm

If its running that slow, and crashes just trying to instal XP that sounds more like a hardware fault than anything else.

Send me a pm and I'll give you the details of my place and we'll have a look at it for you.
Posted By: TheDr

Re: Laptop help - 12th Jul 2012 9:48pm

Definitely DO NOT bin it, if it's been where you say it has it could be something as simple as getting too hot and needing the heat sink re pasting, or you could have a stick of memory that's throwing up errors.

Posted By: Willo_

Re: Laptop help - 12th Jul 2012 9:54pm

It wont install xp, due to me only having service pack 2 on my xp install disc, and service pack 2 does not have the sata drivers, i have been informed. And in bios its listed as windows 7 pre installed.

Am on verge of binning it, and buying a desktop.

Posted By: Zelda2012

Re: Laptop help - 12th Jul 2012 9:59pm

don't bin it that would be a waste.if you want to bring it here am sure my hubby will be able to do something with it for ya.he is a pc wizz.builds pc's and knows alot about them.
Posted By: MerseyMan

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 6:33am

That reminds me took my laptop to Bigabytes on Monday, said it would be ready on Tuesday, something else found wrong with screen will give em a bell today could do with it for the weekend.
Posted By: elliott39

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 6:41am

You have to completely uninstall windows 7 before going back down to windows XP. Otherwise you will get the blue screen.
Hope this helps. Make a backup and start up disc and then uninstall win 7 then try installing XP.
Posted By: Willo_

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 6:52am

Originally Posted by elliott39
You have to completely uninstall windows 7 before going back down to windows XP. Otherwise you will get the blue screen.
Hope this helps. Make a backup and start up disc and then uninstall win 7 then try installing XP.
I put laptop hdd in caddy, formated hdd, put in laptop, and tried to install xp, did not work.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 8:32am

send a chap off here a pm called "the dr" very helpful guy ,and think im right in saying he works/runs a computer shop iirc !!

am sure he will sort it for you mate




wow didnt see all the replys hahahha ,please ignore as the dr is on the case already i see lmao
Posted By: derekdwc

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 8:47am

Just had a laptop sorted at the Dr's myself - very good
Posted By: Willo_

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 8:52am

Am takeing it to a computer shop in Moreton Cross, called computer64.
Thank you for all replies.
Posted By: TheDr

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 11:46am

Originally Posted by BurgerChips
Am takeing it to a computer shop in Moreton Cross, called computer64.
Thank you for all replies.



Thanks for all the recommendations, just to say that the shop named above is NOT mine and I am not associated with it in any way.
Posted By: Maisie

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 12:38pm

Originally Posted by BurgerChips
Am takeing it to a computer shop in Moreton Cross, called computer64.
Thank you for all replies.


I think your safer bet would be with "theDr"...but it's your choice!!
Posted By: Willo_

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 12:43pm

Originally Posted by Maisie
Originally Posted by BurgerChips
Am takeing it to a computer shop in Moreton Cross, called computer64.
Thank you for all replies.


I think your safer bet would be with "theDr"...but it's your choice!!
So is it not safe to go to moreton shop, have they a bad reputation then.

Just wondering why its safer to go to "theDr"
Posted By: Maisie

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 1:46pm

I'm not saying they have a bad reputation, just I know TheDr and he's as honest as they come. Also most computer shops tell you need something, when actually you don't. The moreton mentioned shop have another branch in new ferry, my pc wasn't working to well and it came back worse than ever.
Just don't like people being ripped off!!
Posted By: Mark

Re: Laptop help - 13th Jul 2012 3:11pm

Originally Posted by BurgerChips
I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-402SA, I have just completed a full clean install of Windows7, after the last install, the laptop went really really slow.

But its no different now, it takes for ever to do anything, if am typing a word document, it takes about 10 mins to type 10 words.

I have had it now with windows7.

I tried to install windows xp, but just get blue screen of death, about 2mins in to install.

I have since found out that windows xp can not be installed on this laptop.

Any one know a decent reliable pc shop, that can get xp on this for me.

I have my own xp disc with product key.


You will get a blue screen as XP wouldn't know half of the Hardware in there. There are many reasons for the New install causing it to run slowly. At least its constant, that makes resolving it easier. But it could take time.

Possible Reasons
1) Heat
2) Hardware
3) Software
4) Malware / virus

As you say you took the hard drive out. There could be a dirty connection (sata). You can do a scan disk with windows install disk too. By doing the scan disk you remove problem (2) You never said if it was a Win 7 Install or a Recovery Full Install. It could be a Corrupt Driver. If you let us know about the heat could remove (1)

Once up and running you could inspect the resources that are being used. It is a Strange on, so it would need the step by step approach.

© 2020 Wirral - wikiwirral.co.uk