Forums
Posted By: rossie X Box - 20th May 2012 6:49pm
What do I need to consider when buying an X Box. It is for an eight year old boy. Do I need to buy Kinetic etc.Any other comments appreciated.
Prices seem to go from £189 to £300+
Many thanks
Posted By: Nathan91 Re: X Box - 20th May 2012 7:02pm
The kinect is good but gets boring after a few months and there are not that many good games for it, and you need a play and charge kit for the pad because it will save a lot of money on batteries smile
Posted By: ex0__ Re: X Box - 20th May 2012 7:12pm
If you get a kinect make sure you have a wide open space to use it in.

If you get him any of the latest FPS games (Call of Duty, Halo: Reach, Gears of War3, Killzone3, etc.) don't let him play them online. His team will get pwned.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: X Box - 20th May 2012 7:44pm
You dont need a kinect to play on the xbox, you only need it for the select games that work with one, I totally agree with the point about buying a play and charge kit as otherwise u will be getting hounded for AA batteries every few days haha

For him to play online you will need to buy an xbox live gold account for that to work(about the price of one game for a 12 month subscription) you can get these from any decent gaming shop or even a supermarket, there will be a code on it that you redeem using the xbox.

getting "pwned" means getting beat by other people online, but you gotta get pwned before you get better so i dunno what ex0 has been smoking lol!
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: X Box - 20th May 2012 7:51pm
oh, it wouldnt let me edit my last post (soemthing about edit time?) anyway i was meant to point out that if you are buying a gold account for online play then you dont need to go and buy a full 12 month pass, there are cheaper ones out there, and last time i checked you get a free month of gold when you make a new account, so it might be worth trying that out to see if he will use it before you spend out on keeping the gold account.
Posted By: CateJones Re: X Box - 20th May 2012 7:55pm
Beware letting him play online if he's only 8. The language from some people on there is terrible!! (trust me, my boyfriend does it a lot)

It's worth getting a headset for him too, as if he does play online with his friends, he can communicate through that.

Also, if you'll need to make sure you can connect a Ethernet cable to it from your modem. So if it's gonna be upstairs in his room, that might be a problem?
Posted By: ex0__ Re: X Box - 20th May 2012 8:16pm
Originally Posted by EvilCycle
getting "pwned" means getting beat by other people online, but you gotta get pwned before you get better so i dunno what ex0 has been smoking lol!

You'd be happy playing with an 8 year old on your team?
Posted By: rossie Re: X Box - 20th May 2012 8:31pm
Thanks for all advice.Much appreciated all very valuable.
Posted By: cathie Re: X Box - 20th May 2012 10:17pm
The new xbox's are wifi so you won't need an Ethernet as long as you have a wireless Internet at home, my hub is wifi enabled so we just connect through that, as he's 8 he might get away with a silver subscription.

If u buy a connect package you usually get at least 1 connect game, most lads like the sports one but u do need at least 5 foot clearance from the sensor to be able to use it...and once you've got it you can always add to his collection .

A rechargeble battery pack & stand is a MUST as normal battery life is a matter of days.

If you get him one now and next year a new & improved version comes out you can part ex...I got £100 off for my last exchange.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: X Box - 21st May 2012 7:54pm
Not sure an 8 yr old should be playing online? As they say "game experience may change etc, etc...." Dry humping never gets easier to take!
Posted By: insanekitty Re: X Box - 21st May 2012 9:10pm
Right I'm not having a dig cos this is just my point of view.

I personally would buy him a new bike and let the bugger play outside! We bought our boys an xbox each when they were around that age and now they never want to 'play out'.
I wish we had never bought them and they would go outside and enjoy the real world instead of the 'online' one where they just shoot and kill other people.
I think 8 is too young for xboxes and the like and not forgetting the price of the games £30 minimum and the batteries as previously said.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: X Box - 22nd May 2012 10:44am
Originally Posted by ex0__
If you get a kinect make sure you have a wide open space to use it in.

If you get him any of the latest FPS games (Call of Duty, Halo: Reach, Gears of War3, Killzone3, etc.) don't let him play them online. His team will get pwned.

Call of duty 18 certificate

Halo: Reach 12 certificate

Gears of War3 18 certificate

Killzone 3 errr ps3 only

so your 8year old can't play any of these anyway wink
Posted By: ex0__ Re: X Box - 22nd May 2012 12:30pm
Yeah, cause people care about game certificates. What planet are you on?

Shit, I remember buying one of the GTA's over in Liverpool when I was like 14, the person at the desk wouldn't sell me it and the guy behind me in the queue bought it for me and handed it to me, while we were still stood in the queue.

My bad on KZ though, forgot PS3 exclusive. It sucked anyway smile
Posted By: lauralou2 Re: X Box - 22nd May 2012 1:13pm
well exO im sorry your parents didnt care enough about you to to try and protect you as long as they could from things you didnt need to see.......kinda explains a lot......just sayin...
Posted By: lauralou2 Re: X Box - 22nd May 2012 1:15pm
kids know far too much about things they shouldnt these days such a shame
Posted By: ex0__ Re: X Box - 22nd May 2012 3:20pm
Originally Posted by lauralou2
well exO im sorry your parents didnt care enough about you to to try and protect you as long as they could from things you didnt need to see.......kinda explains a lot......just sayin...

[Linked Image]

Made this for you. Computer games are not evil or real, they are simply entertainment. And nowadays, they are as much a social thing as sitting in the pub all night drinking.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: X Box - 22nd May 2012 4:23pm
so as a note what would you not let a 8year old see?
or is everything ok?
Posted By: rossie Re: X Box - 22nd May 2012 9:18pm
Thanks for all advice. Much appreciated much to consider
© Wirral-Wikiwirral