Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 23rd Nov 2008 10:10pm
Originally Posted by CNET
A flaw in Vista's networking has been found that can crash the system, but no fix is expected until the next service pack

A flaw has been found in Windows Vista that could allow rootkits to be hidden or denial-of-service attacks to be executed on computers using the operating system.

The vulnerability was found by Thomas Unterleitner of Austrian security company Phion and was announced Friday. Unterleitner told ZDNet UK on Friday that Phion told Microsoft about the flaw in October but that he understood a fix would only be issued in the next Vista service pack.

According to Unterleitner's disclosure of the flaw, the issue lies in the network input/output subsystem of Vista. Certain requests sent to the iphlpapi.dll API can cause a buffer overflow that corrupts the Vista kernel memory, resulting in a blue-screen-of-death crash.

"This buffer overflow could (also) be exploited to inject code, hence compromising client security," Unterleitner said.

Another reason to despise Shistain...

CNET News Report
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 23rd Nov 2008 11:46pm
raftl when are they ever gonna learn ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:19am
Incorrect question to be asking; the correct should be are they capable of leaning?

Id hazard a guess, from looking at Vienna, the answer would be a resounding no!!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:22am
Aye looks like Windows 7 is the same then full of crap ya dont need.. Ya can download a trial know but who would want to ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:27am
Im aving enough annoyances with this BETA version of Vista...

Mind you at least the update to SP1 makes it feel like its come out of ALPHA haha!!

I can't believe Microsoft have the cheek to charge for BETA software!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:29am
Aye smile well truth to be told ive never brought anything MS yet smile oohh tell a lie.. Microsoft Train Simulator was brought for me!
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:30am
when have microsoft ever been any good at security
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:31am
You are a big massive lier, what about that version of XP you got on your laptop!!!!

Ive never bought an OS from Microsoft either... well not directly at least lol.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:32am
Originally Posted by Tony_1985
when have microsoft ever been any good at security

Av you not seen their HQ in Redmond, they dont let people in for fear of the rednecks going on a killing spree and braking their windows (well, Microsoft did it first is their excuse)!!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:34am
Well that version of XP that came with my laptop is home.. I have Professional on it so yer! smile
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:34am
raftl
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:37am
I still regret buying a PC with XP on it, and now my laptop has Vista SP1

I have got something wrong here
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:40am
XP is fine, once SP3 is on it. Almost at the same level as 2000. But Vista... well yeah, they're still workin that one out.

William has left the building now, so they are having to unravel the code behind it, reverse engineering to resolve the faults if ya like!
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:44am
yeah found that out with Vista today

its done nothing but run updates all day - no idea why though, was up to date this morning at 3am
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:46am
You allow Windows to run updates. Shit man, you are brave. XP SP2 comes to mind hahaha!

An 6 months out of date Windows is the most stable version you can get haha!

raftl
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 12:49am
it mostly runs during the night, but must of been urgent ones today

but i quite agree
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 1:02am
nope just checked the history. was office 2007 updates
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 1:11am
Office 2007, I still adore 2003. Fontpage all the way lmao!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 1:11am
Mind you, Vista keeps downloading updates for 2003 for me, dunno what can need updating on it nowadays!!
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 5:28am
not sure mate. maybe they have brought out a new template or something

i can understand office 2007 updating all the time, but why 2003
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Kernel Vulnerability Found In Vista - 24th Nov 2008 7:59am
Software and the car industry are the two industries that are able to release "unfinished" products which the public tests for them.

Hence, you should never buy a new OS untill a service pack is released, and you should never buy a brand new model of a car untill its face lift mid-life. All the bugs tend to be ironed out because of all of the comp-laints of unhappy buyers.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral