Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 13th Apr 2007 7:03pm
Originally Posted by BBC News
Windows XP will stop being available on new PCs from the end of January 2008.

Microsoft is keeping to a plan to stop selling the operating system even though surveys show a lukewarm response to Windows Vista among consumers.

A poll by US market research firm Harris Interactive found that only 10% of those questioned were planning to upgrade to Vista in the near future.

All versions of XP, including those made for media centre or tablet PCs, are affected by the decision.

Interesting, I still won't be running the totally inefficient Windows Vista.

smile

BBC News Report
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 13th Apr 2007 9:50pm
Originally Posted by MattyC

same here.

Infact, by 2008 I'll probably be switched over to using Linux....forever.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 13th Apr 2007 11:58pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
Originally Posted by MattyC

same here.

Infact, by 2008 I'll probably be switched over to using Linux....forever.

I couldnt do that myself because as much as I love the command line, i love Windows 2000 better lmao doh
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 14th Apr 2007 7:52pm
i got xp which am happy with so defo wont be swapping it
Posted By: jonah Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 14th Apr 2007 7:55pm
i got vista on me laptop, and tbh it dont seem too bad
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 14th Apr 2007 7:58pm
yer mate but to go out an buy it would just be a waste of money
Posted By: jonah Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 14th Apr 2007 8:48pm
for wot it costs for the top one in rip off britain, u could buy a good laptop like i did with it already on, or a table top pc
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 14th Apr 2007 8:50pm
yer no what you mean see how much it was going for the other day waste of money and time installing it
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 14th Apr 2007 11:01pm
alot of IT Professionals i know seem to be converting to Mac OS X, and don't seem to be coming back.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Windows XP To Be Retired In 2008 (Not EOL) - 14th Apr 2007 11:58pm
Id go to OSX myself, its rock solid (its Unix at the back end), and it is so secure its unbelievable.

But atm, Apple computers cost a bit too much and Risc isnt imho the way forward. I am glad they are now starting to take the Cisc route though.

Vista is a no-no for me though, I cant be bothered using an OS that requires a minimum of 1Ghz processor to run even half decently. To me, Microsoft have made Vista look fancy and have many new features, but have killed its efficieny in the process.

I want the 3Ghz in my laptop to be utilized mainly for running applications, not upto 50% just on the OS. And my media centre wouldnt like it, its a Pentium III 850Mhz, Microsoft rekon it would run Vista lol, but its cool, silent and XP does everything I want it to, with both efficiency and stability.

smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral